“Wonderful place to stay in the beautiful Albaicin of Granada”

and 1 more site!
Casa del Aljarife - Granada
Ranked #7 of 93 Granada B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Wonderful place to stay in the beautiful Albaicin of Granada”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Casa del Aljarife, primarily because of its wonderful location in the historic Albaicin of beautiful Granada, and the commodiousness of our spacious and comfortable room-with-a-view of the Alhambra. The bed was comfortable, the air conditioning worked (contrary to complaints by other reviewers herein) and the breakfast was excellent. I would give the place an "excellent," five star rating if it were not for the inconvenience of having to walk up and down stairs to get to the en suite bathroom.
It is amusing to read the radically conflicting comments by other reviewers about the host, Mr. Christian Most. I can well understand why these comments are so conflicting. Mr. Most is a most unusual man (pun intended). He quite clearly comes across as extremely hands-on and, indeed, somewhat controlling. For those not familiar with or at all sympathetic with north German/Prussian fastidiousness and orderliness, Mr. Most may be a bit much to take. It helps if -- like myself -- you have spent a good deal of time in Germany and speak the language (somewhat). I feel that the criticisms of Mr. Most as "abrupt" or "rude" arise at least in part from cultural differences. In our case, Mr. Most was extremely helpful to us in several critical ways: specifically, in (1) communicating thoroughly all we would need to know before our arrival; (2) meeting us in the central square of Granada when we arrived by car; (3) personally guiding us to the parking garage; (4) carrying our bags for us (against my protestations) all the way to the hotel; (5) providing all possible information helpful to our stay in Granada; and (6) scheduling our breakfast at our convenience. He was, to us, unfailingly friendly and polite, even if sometimes a bit "abrupt."
In view of these factors, I found it easy to overlook the rough edges of Mr. Most's Prussian personality (and even the fact I overheard him making fun of "the Americans" to some German guests at breakfast). Taking all this into account, I would happily stay at Casa del Aljarife again, and recommend it to anyone who is prepared for some German order and efficiency. And are those things all that bad, anyway?

Room Tip: Ask for the room with a view of the Alhambra.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
Albuquerque
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed in the senior suite, which was very spacious. Very nice accommodations in an interesting old mansioin. Good breakfast. Host is very organized and helpful.

Part of the charm is being in the pedestrian only area of the Albaicin. Any direction you turn is up or down hill, so it is not for everyone.

• Stayed October 2011
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 22 October 2011

On a recent visit to Granada, my husband and I stayed at Casa del Aljarife in the Albaicin, old Arab quarter, of the city. You need to be a walker to stay in this part of town because most of the streets are hilly, cobblestoned and not wide enough for a car, but that's the charm of it. Casa del Aljarife is a small hotel whose lively, energetic owner Christian Mock, made us feel at home and was happy to share his knowledge of Granada with us. Our room, #3, was on the top floor with beamed ceiling and windows on two sides, providing light, fresh air and a view of the Alhambra. The room was spotlessly clean, comfortably and simply furnished and was big enough to use as a sitting room for reading and relaxing. The house also has a lovely courtyard garden. The immediate neighborhood has several little restaurants, a coffee shop and even a couple of tiny 25-seat local music venues. It is possible to get a sense of the neighborhood and its residents, a more personal experience than staying at a traditional tourist hotel. Christian invited us on a sunset hike one evening through the Sacromonte barrio where many houses and restaurants are partially caves dug into the hillside, and where a number of gypsy flamenco venues are located.
We loved staying at Casa del Aljarife, and would unequivocally recommend it.

Room Tip: Room #3 is spacious, airy, and has a view of the Alhambra.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Cheltenham
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Charming, spotless and beautifully decorated B & B tucked away in the heart of Albaicin. The host, Mr. Most, went out of his way to find us when we arrived in Granada, then assisted parking the car. He recommended local tapas bars & restaurants. He was a very knowledgable & helpful man. Breakfast was delicious and the terrace was beautifully cared for. I would not hesitate to recommend this accommodation in a fascinating part of Granada, just a 5 minute walk to the cathedral . Superb.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the Alhambra. Very peaceful.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Connecticut
Reviewed 19 July 2011

My husband and I and our two adult sons stayed here for one night. We had a suite with 2 rooms and one full and one half bath. The rooms were very spacious and had plenty of charm. We found everything to be clean and were happy with the location although lugging our suitcases up the cobblestone path to get there was a little bit of a challenge. I would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My family and I stayed here in June 2011, and would definitely return. The proprietor, Mr. Most, is incredibly helpful and accommodating. We really enjoyed talking with him and being his guests. When we arrived, he kindly met us in the easy-to-find Plaza Nueva and guided us to his secure parking space. Then, he helped carry our bags to the hotel. He gave us great restaurant recommendations and site-seeing advice, and served nice breakfasts in the mornings, at whatever time we chose. We stayed in the Senior Suite, which included a spacious bedroom with a king-size bed and A/C, plus another large room with two twin beds at one end and two sofas, a TV and fireplace at the other end, plus 1.5 baths. The whole suite was very clean and comfortable. The only negative was that it did get a little warm in the larger room because there was no A/C there, but Mr. Most did supply a fan. We very pleased to find a computer in the lobby area with free Internet for guests, and a nice enclosed patio where we enjoyed our breakfasts. All in all, it was a nice place to stay in an interesting, colorful part of town.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Paso Robles, California
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Stayed for two nights during recent vacation trip to Spain. We booked the junior suite, which was very nice. After having driven a rental car in Southern Spain for a few days, I was not looking forward to finding the owner's "difficult to find" parking space, so I opted for a more convenient parking garage a further distance away that he recommended on his website. I called Mr. Most for directrions after exiting the car park in the rain and he proceeded to yell at me for not following his directions. Once we walked 7 blocks to his assigned meeting spot, he led us up steep narrow streets and finally arrived at the Casa. Everything was fine upon check in, however when my wife asked for the pass code to the wireless internet, she was told NO twice, then he gave it to her.. At breakfast on the 2nd day, I killed many ants on the breakfast table that were trying to get into the honey container on the table. I ended up moving the container to a side table. Mr. Most came out of the kitchen and proceeded to put the honey back on the table in front of me. I explained that I moved it to keep the ants off my breakfast and he then told me "Then just kill ze ants", turned around and marched back into the kitchen. We enjoyed the quiet location, however the attitude of the owner was not acceptable. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011