“Basic Hotel, Perfect Location”
Review of Hostal Viena

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Hostal Viena
Ranked #75 of 94 Granada B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This hostel is basic but adequate for a brief stay. I was only there for one night. Cost was only 20 Euros. My main reason for staying there was to have easy walking access to the Alhambra. It's in a perfect spot. You're on the road going up to the Alhambra plus you're a short walk to Plaza Nuevo and the Cathedral. Airport bus has a stop nearby (close to the Cathedral).

The room was very basic. No phone, TV with a sign on it that said "Out of Order". But the room was clean and the bed was comfortable. I was only in the room to sleep. There were plenty of things to see around the city to keep you out of the room.

The bathroom for two of the rooms in this hostel (including my room) have a private, locked bathroom across the hall. It's a very large bathroom with a full bathtub and shower. Plenty of hot water. It was a little inconvenient, but if you want a larger bathroom it may be worth asking for one of the rooms that has the private bathroom across the hall.

I never noticed any outside noise. The only noise I had to deal with was a room full of giggling teenage girls in the room next door. Reception was friendly, gave me a map of Granada and a nice map of the Alhambra. I was able to keep my luggage there until late in the day to catch my evening flight.

For a night or two this hostel is a great option.

Room Tip: For a larger bathroom, ask for one of the rooms that has the private, locked bathroom across the hal...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 September 2009

Perfect location for exploring Granda - literally on the road up to Allhambra, and also very close to the Cathedral, 'old town' area and many of the sights. Very friendly and helpful staff, parking was in a private garage and only 8Euros / day. Room we had was on street side - and was a little noisy at night but nice to hear the activity nonetheless.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2009

Centrally located, quiet, very cheap. No phone, but staff came and knocked on my door for my wakeup call. Halls are colorfully tiled, and enclosed courtyard with lending library and chairs to read in. Rooms small and plain, and the smallest shower I have ever encountered, no soap provided, but do have towels and hotel and room were clean. Literally down the road from the Alhambra. Great value, great location, great staff.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2008

When we booked this hostel, the staff had honestly informed us about the noise from down stair pub. As we stayed for the weekend from Friday to Sunday, we had prepared ourselves for a nosiy sleepless weekend nights. But luckily, the noise wasn't as bad as we expected at all. Of course it wasn't quite but the music and loud chatter didn't start until 11pm and didn't last long past midnight. And we live in New York City. This level of noise is totally tolerable.

Staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is closed to cathedral, and about 15-20 walking minutes to Alhambra (uphill but nice and pleasant walk). The room and bathroom are clean, and the beds are comfortable. It's all very basic, but nicely maintained and clean.

Having traveled to many European cities and stayed at various kind of hotels, I think Hotel Viena is a great value for what it has to offer. We had a pleasant stay there, and would like to recommend anyone who is planning a visit to Granada to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 20 May 2005

I can believe that this hostal might be noisy when drunken people are about but fortunately for us it was quiet - we were there mid week and perhaps we were just lucky. Our room for three was very large with a balcony and a large mirror-lined bathroom with bath/shower/bidet/toilet. Having just come from the Hostal Arias in Seville it seemed like luxury.

It was very cheap to stay here and the hostal was just at the foot of the Alhambra, couldn't get any closer really. Plaza Nuevo was 10 yards away and was great for breakfast and drinks/eats in the evening.

I think staying in any hostal is risky; they are very basic and will often be noisy because of their cheap construction and clientelle - younger revellers.

You get what you pay for after all!!

• Stayed: May 2005
1  Thank Mahala1959
A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed 8 August 2003

We recently made a reservation and the hostal asked for our credit card details. They then put in a small transaction (a few pence) to check the details correct. THIS IS ILLEGAL and has been taken up with the credit card company. I would warn anyone not to use a hostal adopting such practice. Besides, it was a blatant distrust of potential guests. We decided not to stay there because of that, amongst other things. BE WARNED.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicuno, I work there at Hostal Viena, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2008

Hello,
To confirm the reservation we asked for the credit card details and we charge 0,06 euros (0.0448425 GBP, 0.0885210 USD), (we always tell it to the person before we do it) This is NOT ILLEGAL and is a normal way (used for many little hostals), and the only way that we have to verify that the credit card info corresponds to the persons who is making the reservation, so is also a security method for the credit card owner.

Best regards.

A TripAdvisor Member
City, State
Reviewed 8 July 2003

tolerable, and staff friendly, but bed sagging in the middle, and doors paper thin, not good when rowdy backpackers come back pissed in the small hours.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member