“Great Restaurant”

Ranked #73 of 122 Hotels in Granada
GABORONE
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Had a very pleasant lunch in the garden restaurant during our visit to Alhambra. Although we did not book it was obvious that during the busy season you would definitely need to!! A bit pricey but a lovely menu in a relaxing location.

1 Thank FAMLEE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We stayed two nights in Granada--the first night we splurged on the Parador and then downgraded to the Hotel America the second night. In hindsight, I wished we'd just stayed one night and splurged only on the Parador. You could (and we should have) arrive very early at the Alhambra and park in the Parador if you were going to check in that day. Take the first tour possible--8:30, I think. Enjoy a leisurely morning tour of the Alhambra, walk back to the Parador/Hotel America area, have lunch at Hotel America (much cheaper than the Parador food, especially if you just stick to the sandwiches) and then check into the Parador after lunch for the night. You can enjoy your afternoon, evening there (beautiful grounds, beautiful views from the restaurant), take a night tour of the Alhambra (which we did) and still get a beautiful sleep in the lovely Parador, enjoy the very very good breakfast buffet and leave the next day. My review is probably tainted by the fact that we moved into Hotel America after one night in the Parador--it's an unfair comparison because Hotel America was maybe a third of the price. But... our room was so so basic (no t.v., wifi only works in the common areas, bathroom/shower not modern, our bed squeaked almost every time we moved, the hotel doesn't have good sound proofing, no elevator if you have heavy luggage, etc.) The staff here were lovely, so I feel a bit churlish giving it a bad review. I'm usually a bargain hunter/shopper. But this one just felt like a downgrade too low.

If you do want to try this, just be prepared for a total no frills experience with a great location. It is absolutely amazing walking around the Alhambra grounds freely at night. That's what you are paying for.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank BostonTravellingMom

Travellers are raving about these Granada hotels

Tustin, California
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Hotel America costs a little more than you might spend at another hotel somewhere in town, but the location of Hotel America INSIDE the Alhambra complex is unbeatable. My husband, two teenagers, and I stayed there last summer and wouldn't trade the experience for anything. To be able to walk around the Alhambra in the evenings, watch the sunset from the fortress walls, and take a siesta in the afternoon without leaving the Alhambra, is priceless. How is the hotel itself though? A little old and tired, but very charming rooms with antique furniture. My kids thought it was amusing that the hotel restaurant patio was right outside our room window - I mean, there were people eating at a table right beneath our ground level window. Hotel staff was nice and spoke English. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Since we're a family of four it was nice that they had a queen bed plus two twins.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ToEuropeWithKids
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 July 2013

For some reason, this place has been getting a bad rep for being what it is which is a small, family run, old, european hotel. If you've read any of my reviews, you will know that I travel budget except when the experience outweighs the cost. This place was a relative steal.

I have dreamt about visiting the alhambra so for me staying on the grounds was something I would have paid a lot for, however, I didn't have to. It came to about 70euro a night for a single room (the parador next door is easily 4-5 times that, if you are even able to get reservations).

I had a decently sized, extremely clean 1st floor room with a balcony overlooking the outside and a pristine bathroom. The restaurant is more of a cafeteria really, off the nice little courtyard/terrace with grape vines growing around. I had a simple sandwich there one afternoon and a glass of wine which was acceptable for the price (under 10 euro). The parador is a few hundred feet to the left as you leave the hotel America entrance, so it's easy to get to a finer dining restaurant. I did that for another lunch and it was decent. If I hadn't been sick (flu) I would have gone down to the town or the albaicin for a meal.

I was a little apprehensive as these bad reviews describe unhelpful staff and tiny rooms. In reply, I will say that when I booked the room online, they give you exact room specifications so if you are unable to understand metric I would suggest a simple conversion tool into square foot online. Also the staff was very sweet and were extra helpful when I was sick and alone. They let me into my room early, made me hot chocolate etc. I would very much like to go back one day. Perhaps if you have small children you might want to head to a neighborhood hilton or something but this place is an experience not to be missed

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank dash4m
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Lovely heritage BB type hotel right inside the Alhambra. Neat little courtyard for drinks and snacks, inside dining room, very quiet at night. Rooms are small and non-standard but we found them very comfortable and user friendly. Lunch and breakfasts were very tasty and very reasonable compared to nearby Parador. Parador is right next door if you want to spurge for dinner which we did. Try the vino verde at America, very interesting local wine.

Room Tip: Try a room onto the courtyard.
2 Thank Carol Ann M
Newmarket, Suffolk, UK
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We booked two nights at Hotel America as a treat. We booked a superior room with a balcony. When we arrived we were given a key to a room which had a window high up, with a view of a tiled roof! I immediately returned to reception and was told there was no other room. I explained I had paid for a room with a balcony, and I could not sleep in the room allocated due to claustrophobia. They insisted there was no other room. After continuing to refuse to sleep in the room, I was offered another room, being told it was smaller. I was given the key and checked the alternative. The room was the one I had booked, with a balcony and a small table and two chairs! This was room 226 which is apparently the best room according to other reviewers.

We moved all our cases to this room and spent two wonderful nights there - the room was not small, the bathroom was well equipped, and we sat on the balcony at various times from early morning to late evening. The room overlooked the restaurant below, but this was closed in the evening and there was no problem with noise.

The hotel is difficult to find - even with sat-nav we got lost, but a kind taxi driver guided us. You do have the problem of no parking. You can park whilst taking your luggage in - but then you have to drive the car down to the Alhambra official car park. Then you have to walk back up again - but this is all mentioned in previous reviews. We knew this before we arrived and accepted it.

It was wonderful being in the general grounds of the Alhambra. We had a nice meal near to the car park, I think it was Restaurant Mimosa - and then we had a night tour of the palace at 10 pm. This was quite magical, and easy to then walk back to the hotel.

All in all I would recommend the hotel, but we were very disappointed to have to argue to get the room we booked - also dont bother with breakfast. We sat and waited around 10 minutes for somebody to acknowledge us - nobody did - so we went hungry and didnt even try the second morning.

It is a charming hotel, and some of the staff are very friendly and helpful. We had full instructions as to our route out of Granada by the very nice man on reception.

Room Tip: Room 226 at the back of the hotel - 2nd floor at the top - has a small balcony with table and 2 chai...
3 Thank Spikeylulu
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I love the review below by the guy with theCcol. Sanders photo. Tthat really says it---do not expect luxury at this place! But it is charming, nicely furnished and you cannot beat the location inside the Alhambra. (If you want luxury you can stay nearby at the parador for more than twice the price!).

This small place is family-run by very nice people who work hard to make your stay pleasant. The rooms surround a vine-covered patio where you can have breakfast and lunch. Our room was up a tight spiral staircase which was fine for us as we are young and fit and had small carry-on luggage. It would not work for big people with big luggage. I think they must wait to get a look at you before they assign that room to anyone. We thought it was delightful! I don't remember the room number or I would post it.

We arrived in Granada by train and took a taxi to the hotel. He had a permit to enter the Alhambra grounds and dropped us off right by the hotel. I think it was 10 euro for the ride.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends