“Spanish and Flamenco tuition”

Escuela Carmen de las Cuevas
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1984 as first Spanish School in Granada, Carmen de las Cuevas is the ideal place to learn Spanish and dive into the fascinating world of flamenco: the Spanish Language school is acknowledged by the Instituto Cervantes as well as a leading Flamenco Center. The school buidling is a charming maze of caves, staircases, terraces and rooms and located facing the Alhambra, in the quarter Albayzin declared by the UNESCO as a cultural heritage site, a historic neighbourhood in Granada widely recognised for its beauty, history, and architecture.
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Spanish and Flamenco tuition”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I spent two weeks at the school studying Spanish, Flamenco guitar and compas, all at a beginners level. The courses were well taught and very professional, the staff friendly and helpful. The school itself is beautiful, built around a gypsy cave complex on the edge of Sacromonte Hill and very close to the centre of the Albaicín, with some of the best views to be had of Granada and the Alhambra just outside the classrooms. The office staff were very helpful and great guides to the practical and cultural life of the area, the school also organises cultural events and excursions which are not to be missed.

The accommodation was well maintained and a perfect base for exploring the Albaicín, we stayed in a shared apartment with other students which was great for integrating into the community around the school, a couple on our course had a private apartment in a cave above the school which had amazing views and a charm they fell in love with.

The school has many long term students studying at an advanced level who mixed freely and shared their knowledge with the beginners, creating a sense of community which perhaps is the most special thing about the school. No holiday is perfect but if you love Spanish culture, Andalucia, Flamenco and want to deepen your knowledge, this is as close to perfection as you can get.

Visited September 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

• Finnish first
Tacoma, WA, EEUU
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“The best place to learn flamenco, Spanish while enjoying the most amazing views!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The Carmen de las Cuevas is the best place in Granada to learn Flamenco with great teachers in small group settings, with very understanding teachers that maintain high standards of instruction. The same can be said for learning Spanish. As a Spanish professor myself I was able to evaluate the Spanish classes offered at the Carmen. I was very impressed with their level of organization, the quality of the classes offered, and the structure of the language program. It is flawless. The school is DELE certified. It is also located in one of the most beautiful spots in this amazing city where one can feel the history and the blending of so many cultures that are the foundation of today's Granada.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Marisela F
Spokane, Washington
“Great place to work on your Spanish”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My partner and I spent two weeks at Carmen de las Cuevas in February 2013. Both of us studied Spanish, one at intermediate level and one advanced. The placement test on Carmen's website did a great job of putting us in the proper level. We each took the "Intensive" course, running three hours a day, about half conversation and half appropriate level grammar. We were the oldest students (both over fifty) and still felt like we fit right in. The profesores and quality of the teaching was fantastic. It was done in very clear and intelligible Castilian Spanish and seamlessly tailored to each student's needs. There was ample opportunity to try and learn some of the Andalusian dialect as part of our home stay. (The Andalusians tend to drop the ends of words.)

We were the oldest students (both over fifty) and still felt like we fit right in. The majority of the other students were solo and came from all over the world, including France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, and the U.S., all interesting people with interesting stories.

My partner also took a week of beginner level flamenco (no prior experience) and enjoyed it, but she acknowledges that in such a short time it could only be a taste.

Being in Granada in the off season was also a treat. We visited the Alhambra twice, once when it was covered with four inches of snow, a very unusual event. The city reeks of history, from the medievally narrow streets of the Albaicin (the old town and Carmen's barrio) to the Cathedral and Chapel where Ferdinand and Isabella are entombed.

We highly recommend Carmen de las Cuevas as a premier Spanish school. It certainly looked to us as though the flamenco dance and guitar experience was of similar quality.

Visited February 2013
Kavala, Greece
“Learn spanish in one of the most breathtaking locations of Granada!”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

A brilliant school of spanish language, culture and flamenco!Located in the extraordinary district of the Albaycin. Totally recommended!

Visited August 2013
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

New York City, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Sacromonte, where the gitanos dwell... Olé!”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I enjoyed my experience while studying at Carmen de las Cuevas very much! I stayed in their two bedroom charming apartment in Chumberas in the heart of Sacromonte between two cave-style tablaos (Habichuelas and Los Tarantos). We had the breathtaking view of the Alhambra which was so gorgeous I actually wept one morning when I glanced at it from my kitchen window. I know it seems a bit dramatic, but it's such a magical place, it might happen to you too! The apartment was clean and in a safe area heavily populated by tourists and natives alike. It was gated and even though we were two women that a times would come home very late from pubs, flamenco shows, or dancing, we felt safe. This area of Granada is heavily populated by taxis and they have no problem dropping you off up the hills in Sacromonte. Carmen as well as the apartment was about 15 minutes or less from the center. The area with all the stores, restaurants, etc.

My visit was from Sunday to Sunday during the second week of August. I took a week of beginners flamenco and intro. to compás. I had been studying flamenco here in New York for seven months and felt that the level was appropriate. My teacher was great on most days, but at times she would resort to preaching and semi-belittling to get her point across. I didn't take anything she said directly to me very personally. I was there to learn and have fun dancing flamenco, so no one was going to color my experience in a negative way. My compás teacher was Jorge "El Pisao" and he was patient as well as knowledgable. Each class started with a review of the day before and he integrated rich history along with the palo demonstrations. He is a gifted guitarist and cajón player. He played for us each day while we learned and practiced the palmas. I wish I would have learned a bit more about the gypsy culture or maybe more direct contact with them, but then again, I didn't take a culture class while there.

From my apartment, the school was about 7 minutes away. It's up hill and down hill, so be prepared to walk, sweat, and get a workout!! I lost 4 pounds while there!! The Albaycin/Sacromonte area is amazing!!! If you're passionate about flamenco like I am, you'll be in heaven everyday!! You wake-up to flamenco and fall asleep to flamenco. You just hear it everywhere. Most of the students at the school were from Europe or Asia. My friend and I were the only Americans that week. The staff at Carmen were very helpful each day and answered any questions we had. Arranging the trip, paying for courses, and taxi transfers were also a breeze thanks to the incredible professionalism of the staff at Carmen. I hope to return very soon!

Highlights from my stay:
*Lots of flamenco shows. I went to Duende in Generalife, saw Joaquin Grilo in el Carral del Carbon, and a show in a cave of Sacromonte
*Great food and sangría (goes without saying)
*A day trip to Lorca's house/museum
*Going to Mae West, an amazing upscale nightclub
*The Arab Baths (Hammas)
*The plethora of activities to do each day and how accessible everything is
*The magical view and visit to the Alhambra

Cons:
*Not having a fan in the apartment made it hard to sleep at night. I'd buy cheap one from Corte Ingles next time

Visited August 2013