“Not just a school... but new best friends!”

Escuela Carmen de las Cuevas
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1984 as first Spanish School in Granada, Carmen de las Cuevas is the ideal place to learn Spanish and dive into the fascinating world of flamenco: the Spanish Language school is acknowledged by the Instituto Cervantes as well as a leading Flamenco Center. The school buidling is a charming maze of caves, staircases, terraces and rooms and located facing the Alhambra, in the quarter Albayzin declared by the UNESCO as a cultural heritage site, a historic neighbourhood in Granada widely recognised for its beauty, history, and architecture.
Reviewed 15 December 2013

One word, AWESOME. From the three cheerful and beautiful women who run the office, to the owners, Carmen and her husband, to all of the teachers that we encountered - the school is top notch. Everybody was so warm, helpful and generous to all of us, and we feel lucky to have taken classes with you. The three teachers we had, Alberto Martinez, Juan Peregrina, and Rosa Tejero are all really terrific teachers - and this comes from someone who has been teaching college, high school and middle school for over 25 years. We want to send particular thanks to Alberto and Juan who worked so very hard to design and teach grammar and conversation lessons for Erin (10), Caitlin (13) and Bob (50). Their lessons, games and activities were brilliant. Their energy was terrific and their use of humor was a perfect match for two kids and their father (who tortured the Spanish language with a version Alberto coined Bobñol). Thank you all so much for making our stay in Granada a wonderful learning experience. We understand that very few children enroll here, and they went out of our way to help all of us, at very different levels, succeed for 10 very full days. Muchas gracias mis amigas!

2  Thank Bob L
"gypsy"
in 5 reviews
"sacromonte"

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I took flamenco guitar lessons for 3 weeks while living in the provided available housing in the Albayzin, or gypsy quater of Granada. The experience was unique and fulfilling. I do speak the language so it might have been easier for me but the school goes out of its way to accommodate everyone. Living in the Albayzin is, in my humble opinion, the only way to completely immerse yourself in the flamenco world.
I am also a conservatory trained guitarist. However, I found the beginner flamenco lessons to be challenging yet attainable. Jorge, the teacher, was excellent, very fun, and always willing to help or answer questions outside of class.

2  Thank Mastrovito88
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I took a one week flamenco guitar course at Carmen de las cuevas and it was a truly memorable experience for me. It was my first foreign tour and I was very worried about treatment I would receive in Spain but at the school I felt like at home because all the staff were so kind and polite and ready to help all the times. As I didnt yet learn Spanish I had lot of problems outside the school for food and other things but the only place i was comfortable was the school and the shared apartment where everyone spoke good engllish. My Guitar teacher Jorge El Paso is very talented Guitarist and more important is very good teacher and very patient with new students. My overall experience at Carmen de las Cuevas was very good and will always like to visit again for further studies

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were staying in an apartment very close to the Carmen de las Cuevas for two weeks attending spanish and flamenco courses. The apartment was very charming in traditional style and with an incredible view to the Alhambra and upper Albayzín. The courses are among the best you will find. And the staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. Located in the hills of Albaycín with 10-15 minutes walk to the city center, it's perfect whatever you are looking for in Granada. Highly recommended.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I spent one week learning flamenco dance at Carmen de las Cuevas and it was a truly wonderful experience. I also stayed in the a shared apartment with other students and had so much fun. I was able to walk every day to and from my lessons through the fascinating streets of the Albaicin. Prior to my arrival in Spain, I had many email conversations with administration staff who were always extremely helpful, warm and friendly. When I arrived in Granada, the school and the accommodation were exactly as described. My flamenco dance teacher was superb. So passionate and professional. She worked hard to ensure everyone in the class were able to learn to the best of their ability. There was so much to see and love in Granada but heart is still in the Albaicin.
Thank you to all the staff at Carmen de las Cuevas