“Plaza de Toros”

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Plaza de Toros”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Ok people don't all like the idea of bull fighting but this is worth a visit. We were the only tourists there and were shown round by a very nice and informative Parisian. I hope he and his bosses read this because he was really informative and made the tour very interesting.

There were no fights on but the culture and spectacle was fascinating. Thank you young Parisian chap.!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Lindastory

London, United Kingdom
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 139 helpful votes
“Didn't see a fight but got to walk around the ring”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Unfortunately we didn’t get to see a bull fight but we did get to walk around the magnificent building completely on our own. It’s a beautiful place that I can imagine is very different when the crowds are in and the bulls are out in the ring.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank JamesF_London
London, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Sad but interesting”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I went to a bullfight for the first time, mainly out of curiosity. The show is not for the faint of hearted as it is very violent and graphic.

I felt I should see an authentic show at least once in my life to try to understand the sport.

The seats were extremely cosy as there are lots of people packed in but this gives you the sense of really being a part of the event. I was amazed by how important the fight is to the audience and you get a real demonstration of traditional Spain.

Fortunately a friend had explained some of the rules of the fight so I understood what was happening a lot better and to be honest I don't think it would have been nearly as enjoyable had I not had this mini tutorial before hand.

There is a sense of real competition between the matadors. The audience can even vote on how good he/she was by waving a white handkerchief if they thought the matador was fantastic.

Take your own snacks and drinks as you'll be there a while and the seats are not very comfortable so many take their own cushions.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Laura L
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Mixed Bag”
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

My sister and brother in law took their two kids to look around the interior of the bullring on the penultimate evening of our holiday in Andalucìa. They were slightly disappointed that there was no sort of museum style exhibit to explain things a bit more, and my niece found it unnerving because of all the marks from the bull's horns on the edge of the ring.

Spectacular to see the inside of the ring, but not sure any of us would stay to see it in action.

Visited July 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Bullfighting in Spain - a Must See!”
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My wife and I were touring the lower half of Spain, as well as Catalonia (Barcelona) this past June. I heard of the bullfighting in Spain and really wanted to attend at least one of these events while we were there. Since June was not the regular season for bullfighting, we lucked out and happened to be passing through Granada, home of the famous Alhambra, and discovered a scheduled bullfight during the celebration of one of their Spanish holidays.
There has been a lot of negative feedback from tourists regarding the Spanish bullfight, suggesting that is not a real "bullfight" at all, but rather a "bull torture". I won't argue that point. In fact, I did find it very strange that this sort of event was going on in the world today. But looking past that, the Spanish bullfight is a tradition that should not be missed. The modern Spanish bull fight dates back to 1726, when Franciso Romero of Ronda, Spain, changed the "fight" from focusing on a horse and rider (with a spear) to that of the Matadors and his supporting cast.
What I found to be so fascinating about this spectacle is how we seemed to be transformed back in time, several hundred years. The arena was at least 100 years old and is designed after the ancient Roman Coliseums, which were forerunners of this event. From the beginning of the initial opening parade, when the matadors, the picadors and the matador's assistants - the banderilleros are marched into the arena, the bullfight is quite a cultural thrill. Three matadors are showcased during the evening, with each of these fighters opposing 2 bulls each. We were lucky, our evening featured Enrique Pancia, one of Spain's best matadors. Each fight takes about 20 minutes to complete, with the evening divided into 2 halves, each half featuring 3 fights. At half time, the crowd pulled out their deli sandwiches, which consists of their famous jamon (sliced ham). It was classic!
What ever you do - hate it or love it - when in Spain do not miss the "Corrida de Toros" - the "Bullfight", is one of the most characteristic aspects of Spanish culture.

Visited June 2012