“Look and learn”

Plaza de Toros de Granada
Ranked #66 of 219 things to do in Granada
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: GUIDED TOURS IN GRANADA'S BULLRING WELCOME TO GRANADA'S 21ST CENTURY BULLRING Now you can enjoy an exclusive tour through the past and present of “La Monumental de Frascuelo”. The circuit includes an exhibition of Granada´s bullfighting chronology, historical posters, unpublished photographs, a local bullfighting documentary, and emblematic spaces normally reserved for bullfighting celebrities. Open every day except Tuesday.
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The idea of a bullfight may not be to everyone's taste but to many Spanish people it is an intrinsic part of their history and culture. The bullring in Granada is a great place to learn about the history and the modern day reality of this part of Spanish life. The bullring is situated on the edge of the city center but is easily reached either on foot or by the excellent bus service.
The young man at the entrance greeted us with great courtesy and dealt with us most efficiently. We paid for the tour which included one of those walk around commentaries which proved to be excellent. Being British we had made the natural choice to take the tour during the hottest part of the day (mad dogs and Englishmen and all that) but despite that the experience was most enjoyable and informative.
And there are also lots of great Tapas bars around the area and a glass for wine and a beer rounded of the visit rather well.

2  Thank maureen p
There are newer reviews for Plaza de Toros de Granada

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Plaza de Toros is one of the nicest places I'we seen in Granada, next to Alhambra.
You can visit this Toro stadium and after that you can have great meal in the restaurants that are close to this attraction.
There are a few great restaurants on the ground floor with domestic food and wines.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I visited Spain for the first time and stayed in Granada. I was excited when I found out that a bullfighting ring was in Granada! Only about a twenty-minute walk from where I was staying. I walked to Plaza de Toros and bought my ticket. I purchased one in the sombra (shade). Spain is hot and I did not want to sit in sol (sun). I sat on my stone seat in extremely close quarters with my fellow spectators. My knees were in the female's back on sat on the stone bench below me and the female on the stone bench above me had her knees in my back. I was prepared for the excitement and I called my husband to guess where I was. When I told him, he said, "Debra, You know they kill the bull, right?" I said, "No way!" In all the movies that I have watched about bullfighting, I have never seen a bull killed. The matadors swing their capes around with grace and passion, then, the bull leaves the ring. Anyway, I ended our conversation because the matadors and the horses began to parade into the ring.

Then, the charging bull appeared. After two minutes, a male on an armoured and blindfolded horse came out and stabbed the bull in the back with a long spear! I was shocked. Then, two minutes later, one of the matadors stuck two knives beautifully colored into the bull's back (in the movies, I thought this was a decorative necklace placed on the bull). This happened at least once more. The bull is bleeding and dying. Then, the main matador appears and does his artistic movements with the cape. The crowd was cheering like they did in the old movies about Rome and fights in the arena. I was sad. I saw little skill in what the matador was doing since the bull is attracted to movement (hence, the movement of the cape) and is dying. The skill was at the end when when the matador sized up the bull to place the sword between its shoulder blades. That takes concentration and accuracy. The bull staggered a while, fell down to its knees, then, died. The crowd roared. I remained silent. Two males on horseback came out and the dead bull was placed on a cart and taken out of the ring. That was the first "show." Four bulls were killed that night. Each show lasted about 15 minutes.

Plaza de Toros is a beautiful stadium and its construction causes one to imagine that you have gone back in time about 2500 years. The matadors' costumes are super cool with sequins and bright colors. However, the closeness of the seating at the stadium was frustrating. And the labeling of the sections and the seats was not the best. Attendants were on hand to help.

My dislike of the event was that the bulls were not given a fighting chance. After the first round, I felt as if it were a WWF (World Wrestling Federation) match with the fake fighting. I understand that the bull is a two ton dangerous beast and these matadors are interacting with them. That takes bravery. To be a true bullfighter, spend more than two minutes with a living bull who has not been stabbed. "Fight" for at least 15 minutes. And take the blindfolds off the horses. Those horses have no idea what is happening to them. While I was in Spain, I made a new friend who is a Spaniard, who is a fellow attorney, and he explained to me that the bulls used for these events have good lives and are fed well; the Spaniards also eat the meat, and the skin is used for wallets and other products. He did not understand my American view of this "art."

I am glad I had the experience. I will probably not go to one again - unless I am going with someone like my husband or brother who would like to see the bulls and be a part of Spaniards' excitement.

If you go, remember, they will kill the bull.

5  Thank Debra G
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We chose to see the Plaza de Toros to experience something different. After a friendly greeting at the entrance we were given an audio guide, and found ourselves being virtually the only people in the ring. One of the workers there joined us and gave us a very personal tour - he is French and is a matador's assistant on fight days, learning his trade to become a matador himself. The unique insight we received into the sport, together with being shown the technique of a matador made the afternoon especially enjoyable.

2  Thank Hello73
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Ok people don't all like the idea of bull fighting but this is worth a visit. We were the only tourists there and were shown round by a very nice and informative Parisian. I hope he and his bosses read this because he was really informative and made the tour very interesting.

There were no fights on but the culture and spectacle was fascinating. Thank you young Parisian chap.!

1  Thank Lindastory