“Great location but reallly overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Parador de Granada
Ranked #13 of 125 Hotels in Granada
Austin, Texas
“Great location but reallly overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2007

My mom (60) and I (26) stayed at the Parador de Granada for 1 night on a recent 5 week trip to Europe. It was our one "splurge" hotel on a trip where all the other hotels we stayed in were 2 and 3 star hotels. We found this hotel extremely overpriced and impersonal.

First, the location is fantastic. The views are amazing, and the Alhambra is right out your door.

But, we had countless problems with our room. The main problem was the bathroom, which by the way, is gorgeous. The hotel has just refurbished all the bathrooms and is having tons of problems. The bathrooms are beautiful but do not function. Our room completely flooded every time we showered. It got to the point where we had to turn the water off in the shower when we were shaving, etc. Absolutely awful. The maid came every day to lay down towels in the bathroom and in our room before we showered. We were extremely disappointed, as this is inexcusable for such an expensive hotel. The hotel staff apologized profusely, giving us 15% off the room and a complimentary fruit platter, and they also said that many other rooms had this same problem. It seemed a little dishonest to us that the hotel proceeded to charge nearly $300 euro a night when the bathrooms do not function. Once this problem gets fixed (which hopefully it should be soon - apparently the architect was on vacation for all of August and was supposed to begin to fix the problem starting in September), I'm not even sure if I would stay in the parador again. Also, the restaurant at the hotel is very convenient but is just ok. The breakfast buffet is something like 17 euros per person! There have got to be many more hotels that are a better value in Granada.

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — Overpriced, restaurant not very good, lots of problems with bathroom
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank DFWgal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Parador for two nights on April 21st and 22nd. The staff was extremely courteous and helpful, and even left a bottle of champagne and a lovely note, as we were on our honeymoon.

The location CANNOT be beat -- we spent almost one entire day at the Alhambra and were able to stop in and out of the hotel between our visits to the Alcazaba, Palaces, and the Generalife.

Breakfast was included in our rate, and it did not disappoint, with a decent selection of local, American, and British favorites. We also had dinner at the Parador restaurant one night and were very pleased. My gazpacho and swordfish were fantastic, and the wine selection was excellent.

I highly recommend the Parador.

• Liked — Location in the Alhambra
  • Disliked — Somewhat small bedrooms -- but really not a problem.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sarah W
Southern Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2007

Price was HIGH, room was Small. If i were rich, I wouldn't care, but we are a middle class married couple that works hard for our money. I decided to go ahead and stay at the Parador and I plunked down 250 Euros. I had read all of these wonderful tales of roaming in the gardens/palace/whatever at night which is only open to those that stay at the parador. (I forgot which, I don't have my map in front of me.)

Anyway, we spent one night there and found out that the late night entrance feature is not offered on sun & mon, at least not this time of year. We paid 250 for a small room and that was my main purpose for booking there. boo-hoo.

the city of granada was great, the alhambra was nice by day although it was very rainy and that put a damper on things.

The breakfast buffet was overpriced at 16 Euros per person (ouch), but it's not like there were lots of other options around at the top of the hill. I don't mind paying for a good service and for quality, but we had just come from the parador in Cordoba the night before and breakfast was only 12 Euros with 3 times the offerings. Breakfast was mediocre, the waitress coffee and drink service was fine.

Many of the paradores are currently under construction as the company as a whole is doing a renovation project over the next 4 years. But that left parking limited and a bit of a pain to get in and out of the lot. Once you do find a spot, definately take advantage of the red 1 Euro minibus to take you into downtown granada, what a steal and a major convinience!

Everything in the room was clean, bathroom was very nice with separate toilet/bidet area, Main hallways smelled a little funky, but many hotels do in europe so I shrugged it off. Walls are a bit on the thin side, especially for those roaming in the hallways. You can hear voices, keys jingling, kids runing, etc. Thankfully, our hall wasn't THAT high traffic I guess, but in the future I would request an end room for less noise. The room itself smelled fine, appreciated the turn down service. Would I stay there again? Probably not, I'll take my 250 Euros elsewhere and get a much nicer room, and then take a cab over to see the alhambra and just forgo the convinience. I like staying at the paradors because I am very confident in their product, but I think in Granada you can do better, maybe even for less. I guess I am just bitter over everything b/c I didn't get what I expected. Most likely my fault for not researching it better I guess.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Monarch81505
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2007

We stayed at the Parador for just one night and were upgraded to a suite. The room was beautiful with a four poster bed and a small outside patio.
When we arrived by car, you go to the security hut and tell them you are staying at the Parador. They will let you through. I was a bit apprehensive about driving up the hill. It's a pedestrian area with loads of tourists but you do feel like royalty driving up there!!
You can park right inside the Parador.
We took the Alhambra tour offered by the parador and the guide was very informative.
Walk around the Alhambra at night. You will be the only people there (esp in February). See the Palacios Nazaries all lit up and listen to the sound of flowing water.
Walk down to Granada for Tapas on the Plaza Neuvo and get the red bus back.
We will always remember our stay at this Parador. You just cant beat the location and the fact that you are staying in what used to be a monastary!!

• Liked — Location - Right inside the Alhambra
  • Disliked — Expensive - but worth it!
  • Stayed February 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MTKLongIsland
Wilmette, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2006

The Granada Parador is in a great location, but not worth the expense. We visited while the Parador was under construction, so I can only comment on the hotel wing that was open during our stay. The Parador is very expensive, over $500 per night and you get nothing for this expense. The room was large but decorated minimally. The bathroom was clean and large but nothing special. The lobby is dreary, there are no views and for $500 per night, there have to be much better locations in Granada to stay for a visit.

• Liked — location to the ALhambra
  • Disliked — very expensive and get nothing for this cost
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank NancyGail
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2006

We have recently returned from a 2 night stay at the Parador
San Francisco in Granada. Location is fantastic but the Parador itself is one the dullest hotels I have every stayed in. Our room was incredibly noisy and very small! Outside our window on the ground floor was a metal grill from the basement. The majority of the noise came from crates etc being moved around early in the morning. I politely voiced my concerns to reception who seemed to think I was imagining it - very unhelpful. They suggested that the noise probably came from a Japanese family next door to us. Food was average, service on the slow side and reception manned by grumpy men! I think the Parador is very over priced and very over rated!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — small basic noisy room
  • Tips/Secrets — book the alhambra palace down the hill!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank HECTOR3
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2006

We spent one full day (early Friday afternoon to late Saturday morning) at the Parador, our last stop before heading back to Madrid and home. We parked our car in the lot right next to the Parador and spent all of our time on the Alhambra grounds. We were apprehensive about finding the Alhambra, but there are frequent street signs throughout town pointing toward it.

The location is great. Sangria on the terrace was refreshing. Our dinner and breakfast at the restaurant were excellent. The room was attractive, and the extras, including a collection of prints, were a treat. It’s an expensive stay, but in such a remarkable location, what can you expect?

The Alhambra is beautiful but it seems to us very confusing to tourists. Finding your way around the grounds from each location to the ticket office to where you actually enter the attractions was bewildering. We booked Alhambra tickets a month in advance and the night entrance to the Nasrid Palaces was the only time available before we were scheduled to leave the next morning. An extra day would have made a perfect stay and perhaps given us time to take a bus into the central city.

Scam alert: As we approached the grounds and turned a corner about four men jumped in front of our car and motioned us to stop and park, claiming that all parking lots on the Alhambra grounds were full. When we told them that we were staying at the Parador and would park there, one of them said the entrance to the Alhambra was complicated to find and he would drive his car ahead to lead us there. We were somewhat confused and followed him in a circuitous route, eventually stopping at the Alhambra entrance. He then demanded that we pay him 20 Euros (“paper money”) and refused the two-Euro piece we offered. He ended up with nothing, and of course, we could see that there was parking available right outside the Alhambra grounds. Maybe we were a bit gullible, but we do expect better from a city that depends on its tourist trade.

• Liked — The location, of course
  • Disliked — The poor directions to the ticket office and to the entrances
  • Tips/Secrets — Book your Alhambra ticket a couple of months in advance; book the Parador a year in advance.
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple