“Fantastic value for such a stunning place”

Hotel Casa 1800 Granada
Ranked #4 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 1 April 2014

OK, we did stay in the top suite here, and the rooms combined were the size of an average apartment in the UK, but it was just fantastic value at around £200 per night. The best sleep I have had in ages. Lovely decor and crisp linen. Plenty of sofas and chairs, a dining table, and OK the huge jacuzzi was a little overkill, but the bathroom was great too! The hotel space is great and they offer guests free afternoon tea and cakes. Good location close by the Alhambra and lots of cafes and eateries. We found the service friendly and they couldn't have done more for us. I would definitely start there again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ian R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,814)

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The Casa 1800 is a lovely establishment. Tucked down a series of tiny pedestrian pathways, it opens up into a beautiful ancient building with a central open air patio. We came to stay at the Casa 1800 by chance and circumstance -- we had booked a nearby airbnb which ended up being horrifically dirty and depressing and we had to move out so we stayed our final 3 nights in Granada at the Casa 1800.

I called the Casa 1800 at 11 am after seeing they had availability online and asked whether we would be able to check in early, as we were leaving the airbnb ASAP because it was disgusting and my husband wasn't feeling well. They said earliest check in is 2 since everyone checks out at 12, but we could leave our things there. So, I went ahead and booked a Junior Suite online since I had read on Tripadvisor to avoid the small rooms, and after the airbnb experience I wanted to make sure we had a nice place to stay.

About 20 minutes later, I get a phone call from the hotel telling me that the rate I booked the room at is incorrect, and I need to pay 21 euros more per night. What?! I tried to politely tell them that I don't think that is acceptable -- you can't call up a hotel patron after they just booked and shake them down for more money! The only response I got was "I don't know what to tell you." I told them we'd talk about it when we got there.

So, we go at 12 and the same man I talked to is there telling me "I don't know what to tell you" and shows me a print out of my reservation where he has written next to it an additional 21 euros per night. Eventually the woman next to him at check in spoke to me and said of course we will honor the price on their website. Okay, problem solved, but that was an added stress after the airbnb that we didn't need. Don't let them try to charge you more.

I again ask about an earlier check in since we had tickets to the Alhambra at 3 pm and wanted to shower, etc, before heading to the Alhambra. They said they'd take our phone # and let us know if the room became available. I don't think they relayed to housekeeping at all that we wanted an early check in because when we arrived at 2 pm for our guaranteed check in time, they told us it would be an ADDITIONAL HOUR. I told them we have tickets at 3 pm to the Alhambra, so then they contacted housekeeping and asked them to put a rush on it and told us it would be 15 minutes. Well, 50 minutes later and $40+ worth of Alhambra tickets wasted later, we were in the room.

The other downside of this hotel is the WiFi. It is HORRIBLE. The WiFi on the bus transportation around the country is better than this internet. It is exceedingly slow and cuts out all the time. I have to work as an online English professor and this became basically impossible. I tried connecting directly to ethernet, but the internet was just as slow that way, which means that they simply have a terrible internet plan and aren't paying what they need to in order to have adequate internet for a hotel.

That said, we stayed in Room # 8 which was on the top floor and gorgeous. We had three enormous windows that opened up to the central courtyard. There was a couch sitting area and then a large comfortable king size bed. The room was very quiet at night, but there is some breakfast noise in the morning. This isn't that bad, but there was a baby that the parents brought to breakfast for a couple of hours in the morning. If there aren't babies in the central courtyard, it's not so bad. Our bathroom was lovely with a great shower/tub combo, plenty of hot water, and another window that opened to our entranceway.

The other fantastic bonus of this hotel is free afternoon tea. Not only do they have tea, they have a large fridge full of water, soda, yogurt, etc that you can take from. This saved us a ton of $ on buying water and sodas. There is also typically muffins, some ham sandwiches, fruit salad, orange/peach juice and croissants each afternoon.

So, my overall advice for this hotel would be: if you don't need the Internet, book it. Don't expect any special consideration or treatment from the staff. I did peek into some of the first floor small rooms and they are SMALL and look very stuffy and hot. I would agree with other reviewers and not recommend them. If you can get Room # 8 I highly recommend it as long as you are okay with not having good Internet access.

Room Tip: Choose a junior suite, Room # 8 is great -- very quiet at night, lots of windows that open to inner...
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Hotel casa 1800 is a very charming hotel with great style. It offers a unique experience in Granada thanks to its beautiful architecture and outstanding location in the city. We particularly appreciated the staff reaching out before we arrived in order to give us very useful instructions for our arrival by car.
Despite the charm of the hotel, we thought there is room for improvement:
- Even for a romantic escapade, the rooms are too dark in the night and would need more lamps.
- Two light bulbs were dead in the ceiling of our bathroom which didn't help.
- Concerning the outside breakfast room, although we loved the 18th century athmosphere, it can be quite chilly in March and a heating system would be greatly appreciated (only two tables inside).
- Although quite polite, the staff could still do a better job at providing a great client experience: when breakfast opens until 11am, one doesn't expect the staff to start cleaning at 10:45am + when confronted with an honnest mistake on my part (I thought my travel agency had already paid for the nights), I didn't like the tone of the lobby staff. These things are quite common in this line of business and there are ways to keep cool and explain.
Everything worked out fine in the end and we would warmly recommend the hotel. A little more attention to details and they'll get their fourth star.

Room Tip: Room 14 is very close to a service room. Might wake you up if you wake up late.
1  Thank Couple499
Reviewed 26 March 2014

The hotel is excellent placed in order to reach by foot the most interesting places in Granada. It only takes 15 min to walk to Alhambra, the Cathredal is almost at the next corner and gift shops and restaurants all around. The driving guidance from the hotel was excellent. No wrong turn on the way to the parking house. The hotel is a lovely old building, everything clean and tidy and the staff helpful. The breakfast was also excellent. I will recommend this hotel to friends which are visiting Granada.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed here for a night, having stayed at another "boutique" hotel in the same area and having been a little disappointed.

Casa 1800 more than made up for this. The public areas of the hotel are gorgeous - its all quite compact but a beautiful restoration of an old building and absolutely oozing charm.

The staff on the front desk were delightful and helpful. Jose in particular could not have been warmer, friendlier or more enthusiastic. It's the attitude of employees like this who really make a difference.

We had a deluxe room. I have to say it was small but personally I quite expect this in an old town property and the quality of the furnishings, bathrobes etc more than made up for this. The view of the Alhambra was an added benefit. The room was also very quiet - we slept brilliantly.

It was a nice touch to have a kettle and tea/coffee.

I found this hotel excellent value for money, given the quality. My advice would be to upgrade from the standard room if you can, as the better rooms are a real treat.

Thank you, Jose and colleagues for a lovely stay.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just returned from a 3 week trip to Europe. We stayed 3 nights at Hotel Casa 1800 - Granada, based on our wonderful experience at their sister property in Seville. This is a charming property with a perfect location and wonderful customer service. A special thank you to Jose'. We would definitely stay here again.
The Jorgensen's.

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms. They were both quite small but worked out fine for us.
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with an excellent location just steps from the Plaza Nueva. It is a an enjoyable walk, although uphill, to the Alhambra. The staff was very helpful and even made reservations for us for a Flamenco show back in Sevilla. Their afternoon snack was a great time to come back, sit down and relax for a minute. We were very pleased with our choice of hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family