“Perfect location but simple changes would make a big impact”

Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari
Ranked #14 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 24 October 2013

It's hard to rate this hotel I would say it is good but not very good. The location is perfect it's in the historic area of Granada but not too far in so you won't for example get lost and its moments before the start of the walk to the Alhambra.

The rooms look lovely, exposed beam work and very tasteful décor. I choose the hotel because I wanted somewhere where I could also relax when not in my room. There are small pebbled court yards but they are more like light wells and a little gloomy to sit in, there are no other common areas.

I also found this hotel noisey. My room overlooked the court yard. The hotel is historic but they haven't sound proofed the rooms like many other old hotels. The doors didn 't seem to seal sound from the room and I was constantly woken by people opening and banging doors. In the morning I would hear the phone from reception and at night the sound from guests talking as they walked through the court yard. It wouldn't take much to put up a notice asking guests to enter and leave quietly.

The bathroom was a little cramped, and while this may sound a niggle it was annoying that the shower head didn't fit in the holder - something that could be easily fixed and likewise there was no shelf in the bathroom and no area around the basin to put things on, again something that could be easily fixed.

I found the reception staff really very unhelpful and quite short, to the point that if I needed to know something I would use google rather than ask. I think part of the problem is that the hotel was busy and they are dealing with handing and collecting keys and also booking tickets for guests to the Alhambra. I asked if they could check the times for buses to Cordoba and a lady on reception said they were every hour without bothering to check, I got the impression that she just couldn't be bothered and I was right, as when I double checked I found that they didn't run each hour at all and some took 2 1/2 hours and others over 4.

While the location was very good, I wouldn't stay here again, there were too many things that added together detracted from the look of this very pretty hotel. This hotel features heavily in guide books and I sort of have the feeling that they are resting on their laurels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Londonlady2013

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed at this lovely hotel in October with my family for a weekend. The hotel is in a perfect situation for exploring Granada and for visiting the Alhambra and Generalife. It is not possible to drive to the door of the hotel. There is sloping passageway from the street which may be tricky for some to negotiate.
The reception staff were efficient and friendly. The hotel has a lovely interior with elegant courtyards open to the sky. We were booked into a lovely apartment on the first floor. It was intended for two but had ample room for my family of four. There is a lovely, well fitted kitchen, a sitting room and spacious bedroom. The bathroom was gorgeous, beautifully tiled and spacious. Our shower hose broke and was mended promptly by the staff so that we had no inconvenience.
We had breakfast at the hotel; delicious coffee, pastries, fruit, cheese ham and wonderful conserves.
Reception also organised our booking for the Alhambra which was a Godsend!
A lovely, elegant hotel in a wonderful, magical city that I have no hesitation in recommending. I look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: website pretty accurate
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kazz50
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Casa del Capitel Nazari is what you might expect from a stay in medieval Granada - huge wooden door blocking your way in from the narrow alleyways outside but once inside, all was slick, cool tiles, running water, calm and idyllic. And not a little posh too - it had the quiet air of comfort and luxury. We had a room overlooking the central courtyard - open to the sky - and full of tables and chairs to take coffee, write home, read a book. The room oozed the character of the past and while the bathroom was compact and could have done with a refresh and was squeezed into a quirky shape it didn't matter at all. Great location just yards from the river, the old town, the new town - perfect. Service was crisp and friendly with good English spoken. Loved it all - great memories.

1  Thank Rich635
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed here for two nights and was quite happy with everything. The location, just off of Plaza Nueva, was perfect. The hotel has the wonderful ambience of a converted 16th century building. The rooms were clean and spacious enough. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. I slept like a baby here. The windows had iron bars and no screens. Surprisingly, there were no insects either. Since I like to sleep with windows open, the cool Granadan night air was very pleasant. I didn’t really notice much street noise, and was quite refreshed when I woke up. I didn't eat breakfast here, so I cannot speak to that. Finally, I thought Hotel Casa Del Capitel Nazari was reasonably priced. If I ever go back to Granada, this is where I will stay.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Location is great - just up from Plaza Nueva. In car restricted zone - so if you driving, you park outside and take taxi or walk. [15nute walk from parking garage.] Very helpful staff. Nice room, well decorated. Bathroom a bit small, but functional. Lobby with nice historic columns. Very nice place to stay all around.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed here for three nights in a very comfortable and quiet room. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. The hotel itself is beautiful, with a lovely inner courtyard and very clean environment. You couldn't ask for a better location - a step out the door to discover the beautiful Albayzin, enjoy the Hammam, eat and drink at charming cafés along the Darro valley, and best of all - to enjoy being close enough to the Alhambra to get there in less than half an hour walking and to see it in all it's beauty through the day and evening from a close distance.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayer for 3 days and 2 nights and we enjoyed the perfect location. It is placed in Albaycin neighbourhood which is like 15 minutes away walking. The room was very small and the view was not something nice but that was ok because we did not spent that much time in the hotel. We had included the breakfast and I just can say it was very good. Different options and everything was good. Nice place to stay in a great location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple