“Lovely boutique hotel in the old town”

Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari
Ranked #15 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is a very comfortable boutique hotel that is in a valley looking up to the Alhambra. It is very close to the square where buses run regularly up to the Alhambra. It is on the edge of the old town, close to the Arab quarter. The rooms are comfortable and the breakfast is good.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the front as this road is quite busy (our room was an internal rooms which was very q...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Sue R
DIRECCIONPALACIO, Gerente at Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5 points review.

This encourages us to work with enthusiasm.

Consider this your home.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Traveling as a solo backpacker in early November, so it was easy for me to get up the stairs into the hotel.

But I don't know what all the hype is about at this place.
It was a good location to walk to the Plazas, has a nice courtyard, and is an older building that has a facade of charm, but that about does it. The staff were ok. Not incredibly friendly, but were available to answer questions, and good about showing me how to get around the city.

I had more comfortable beds at hostels in my 2 weeks stay. Never got the WiFi to work in my room (after trying multiple times). The bathroom smelled like chemicals trying to cover up that you-know-what smell, so I had to keep the door shut while I was in the room. The only plug I found that worked was by the bed, so unplugged the light to plug anything else in.

At least there was a hair dryer and warm showers. I could've cared less about having a TV in the room either. There's also a minibar, for anyone that might consider that a plus.

It just doesn't make sense for the price you pay that this is the deal you get.
Will not be staying here again if I return.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Samantha A

Dear Guest,

We are grateful for your comment following your stay at Casa del Capitel Nazarí.

However we were sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations.

Please be assured, we do value all feedback from our guests and your comment has been reviewed with our team and corrective actions are taken to improve the quality of our service.

We will give us another opportunity to better serve you in a near future.

Consider this your home.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Even though I loved Granada, this Hotel was not my best. Out of the 4 places that i visited in Spain, this hotel was the least that I liked. The staff is not friendly at all. Whenever we ask something to them, they were more busy looking at the computer that have an eye to eye conversation. The two girls that are during the day at the desk are in the wrong place. They need to be more attentive to the people that stay in the hotel. Then, the Hotel has one side with Elevator and the other one doesn't have one. They gave us a room in the side without the elevator which meant that we had to go three floors up with our luggage. Stairs are very narrow. The breakfast was not that great. The room had a very bad smell like sewers. One night, I really couldn't sleep because of the odor. The structure of the hotel is very nice but I will never stay there again. Sorry!!! At the end they wanted to charges us for a Flamenco show that we never saw. They really need to hire a new personnel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Lorena L
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I met some friends here for a short stay in Granada. I travelled in by taxi which is the best way, as you cannot access the hotel directly from the street. It is located up a side alley, uphill with shallow steps, so perhaps not suitable for anyone with problems walking. The hotel has indoor courtyards open to the air, a lovely place to sit and relax after walking around the local sights (and you are very well located here to be in the middle of things). We had access to hot drinks in the room downstairs, which was a bonus. Our rooms were quite small, but clean and attractive with lovely decor. We found local bars, restaurants and cafes very close by, and a lovely view of the Alhambra at night, just a little way up the street. The staff were helpful and friendly and we had a most enjoyable night there- would definitely return. My friends (Australian) and I really enjoyed the atmosphere here, at a very reasonable cost, and would recommend for an authentic and comfortable stay for others.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Helen B
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My friend and I stayed at this lovely little hotel in old Granada. First things first - if driving, do NOT attempt to drive to the hotel. There is no parking there and the streets are narrow and very crowded. It is diffidult to stop just to unload luggage. Instead follow the hotel's directions and park at one of the city lots, then take a taxi to the hotel. The hotel will remburse you for the taxi and the parking (be sure to bring the parking lot ticket). The hotel is lovely and our room was quite nice. We found the staff very helpful and by prior arrangment they got our tickets to the Alhambra when they were sold out online. The location on Plaza Nueva is very convenient and we wandered through the streets of the Albaicin before having dinner at a local restaurant. They also have lovely little bar and restaurant attached that open directly onto the street to the Plaza Nueva. As mentioned by other reviewers, the hotel's location is good for visiting the Alhambra,but one word of caution. The walk to the main entrance of the Alhambra is a 20-30 minute walk UP hill. You should add this amount of time to the one-hour-in-advance that you need for visiting the Alhambra. If walking is a problem, you can take a taxi.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maryoca
Reviewed 24 October 2013

It's hard to rate this hotel I would say it is good but not very good. The location is perfect it's in the historic area of Granada but not too far in so you won't for example get lost and its moments before the start of the walk to the Alhambra.

The rooms look lovely, exposed beam work and very tasteful décor. I choose the hotel because I wanted somewhere where I could also relax when not in my room. There are small pebbled court yards but they are more like light wells and a little gloomy to sit in, there are no other common areas.

I also found this hotel noisey. My room overlooked the court yard. The hotel is historic but they haven't sound proofed the rooms like many other old hotels. The doors didn 't seem to seal sound from the room and I was constantly woken by people opening and banging doors. In the morning I would hear the phone from reception and at night the sound from guests talking as they walked through the court yard. It wouldn't take much to put up a notice asking guests to enter and leave quietly.

The bathroom was a little cramped, and while this may sound a niggle it was annoying that the shower head didn't fit in the holder - something that could be easily fixed and likewise there was no shelf in the bathroom and no area around the basin to put things on, again something that could be easily fixed.

I found the reception staff really very unhelpful and quite short, to the point that if I needed to know something I would use google rather than ask. I think part of the problem is that the hotel was busy and they are dealing with handing and collecting keys and also booking tickets for guests to the Alhambra. I asked if they could check the times for buses to Cordoba and a lady on reception said they were every hour without bothering to check, I got the impression that she just couldn't be bothered and I was right, as when I double checked I found that they didn't run each hour at all and some took 2 1/2 hours and others over 4.

While the location was very good, I wouldn't stay here again, there were too many things that added together detracted from the look of this very pretty hotel. This hotel features heavily in guide books and I sort of have the feeling that they are resting on their laurels.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Londonlady2013
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I stayed at this lovely hotel in October with my family for a weekend. The hotel is in a perfect situation for exploring Granada and for visiting the Alhambra and Generalife. It is not possible to drive to the door of the hotel. There is sloping passageway from the street which may be tricky for some to negotiate.
The reception staff were efficient and friendly. The hotel has a lovely interior with elegant courtyards open to the sky. We were booked into a lovely apartment on the first floor. It was intended for two but had ample room for my family of four. There is a lovely, well fitted kitchen, a sitting room and spacious bedroom. The bathroom was gorgeous, beautifully tiled and spacious. Our shower hose broke and was mended promptly by the staff so that we had no inconvenience.
We had breakfast at the hotel; delicious coffee, pastries, fruit, cheese ham and wonderful conserves.
Reception also organised our booking for the Alhambra which was a Godsend!
A lovely, elegant hotel in a wonderful, magical city that I have no hesitation in recommending. I look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: website pretty accurate
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family