After seeing positive reviews here and in Let's Go Spain and Portugal 2007, I booked a room at the Hostal Antares for two nights in Granada. I was hoping to find a cheap, basic, private hostal room for our stay....
When we arrived, I noticed that the comforter was COVERED with HAIR! I pulled it back hoping that the other layers would be cleaner, but each layer (3 blankets and 2 sheets) were filled with hair (from all parts of the body). I talked to the owner and asked him for new sheets. He went and got a new set, but they were completely full of hairs as well. He started cursing and explained that they had a new cleaning lady who had only been working there for two days and that he was going fire her immediately. He left for a while and came back fuming...He said that he looked through ALL the sheets and blankets and they were ALL FULL OF HAIR! He gave us new sheets out of a plastic bag, but didn't have clean blankets (SO WE HAD TO USE THE HAIRY ONES). He also explained that he had just called the cleaning lady to fire her (which made me feel really uncomfortable! If it were me, I would have talked with her and given her another chance...And although I respect his decision to run his business as he chooses, I don't want to feel responsible for someone losing their job while I'm trying to enjoy my vacation). After giving us the new sheets, he did not even offer to help us make the bed! He just left!
(Also, there were only two other guests in the hostal. I find it hard to believe that the cleaning woman who had been there for two days had washed all of the sheets in a near-empty hostal! In other words, I think the dirtiness goes back farther than her employment.)
Aside from not feeling relaxed in our dirty room with dirty blankets that we tried not to touch, there are a few other terrible things about this hostal:
1. The heater is automatic (controlled by the owner), which means that it is turned on at 10pm (not sooner) and was turned off around 5 am. Personally, I like to turn on the heat when I'm cold, when I'm going to take a shower, etc., which did not fall within his hours of usage.
2. The SHOWERS were ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. There were two on the floor where we stayed (1st). In one, the piece holding up the shower head was broken, so it pointed directly at the wall and could not be moved. In the other, there were INSECT EGGS!
3. We happened to be alone on our floor, but when he came in and out, it echoed a lot. I can only imagine the noise level if there were more guests!
Really, really, really, DON'T STAY AT THIS HOSTAL! IT'S AWFUL!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hostal in the best situation, Elvira Street, very near to Alhambra, Albaizin, Plaza Nueva and the Cathedral in the historic center of the town, very lightly rooms with complete bathroom, heater, air conditioner optional, TV, internet Wi-fi and microwave-free area. The Property is situated in the very heart of Historic Town, in front of the district of Tearooms (La Caldereria) and area of Tapas, near to the Alhambra. We've arranged parking 15 euros for day. Advise about arrival time. Reception O8:30 / 22:30 hours. ( No curfew ) Check-in 13:00 // 22:30h. Check-out 12:00 Credit Card Facilities. If you are coming by car, you have to take entry Mendez Nunez to Gran Via- Cathedral. From the Airport you can take the bus just for 3 and getting off close to the Cathedral, From Bus Station: take bus number 3-33 to centro-Cathedral Train Station: take the bus number 4/6/9/11 to Cathedral stop. We are reachable with urban buses, taxis, train stations, right beside the cathedral. The outstanding amount is payable to the property directly upon your arrival. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hostal Antares reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.