“Beautiful hotel, perfect location, and wonderful service.”
Review of El Ladron de Agua

El Ladron de Agua
Ranked #6 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 29 December 2009

We recently got back from a 16 day trip through Spain. We stayed in 7 different hotels, all of which were in the top 10 rated by Tripadvisor. Of all the hotels, this was our favorite. It was a perfect location right in the old city of Granada. We parked in a lot not too far away and walked with our bags to the hotel. We had a beautiful room overlooking the Alhambra on the top floor. The room was very big and the bed was extremely comfortable! The service was great and everyone was very friendly. The breakfast was also really nice. Many different choices of pastries, meats, cheeses, tortilla espana, cereal, breads, and beverages.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for El Ladron de Agua

Reviewed 27 August 2009

I feel bad giving this hotel a negative review, because the hotel itself did nothing wrong, but here's the thing: it is insanely noisy on Carrera del Darro, and we got very little sleep.

The rooms are gorgeous, the hotel is gorgeous, and the front desk is friendly, but the location is so unbelievably loud. I never ever complain about noise, but I agree with the other reviewer who said that it was noisy all. night. long. Seriously, all night. Every time we woke up (which was frequent), there was someone making noise on the street - sometimes really loud, sometimes just a normal tone of voice, but it was carrying right into our room (even though the window was closed). When we woke up at 6:30 am to get out of bed, there was a drunk couple arguing about their relationship below our window. The trash pickup also came in the middle of the night.

Our room was not facing the street either - those are the premium rooms (with a view of the Alhambra)! I am certain even the rooms facing the back would be loud, but maybe less so.

So, while it seems like a good idea to book a room in this incredibly well located hotel, it's actually the location that is its biggest weakness. If we were to go back to Granada, I would stay in a totally different area.

On the other hand, maybe we just needed some (extra extra strength) ear plugs.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MollydeA
Reviewed 17 June 2009

I went to Granada summer 2008 with my best friend and stayed in El Eladron for 3 nights. It's not the cheapest, but there are more hotels nearby that charge more but less in quality. For me everything about the hotel is excellent. Starting from our arrival, excellent location - close to all the city's main attractions and the best bars and restaurants, easy check-in, spacious standard room (unfortunately has no view as that's the only room available at the time), clean bathroom with big shower, good breakfast in the basement from 7-10, great service with smile from all the staff - even the night shift guy who opened the door at 2am. The occasional concerts at the lobby is a nice surprise to our stay. In overall... i have nothing to complain.
Like any other hotels that occupied old building, they all have same problems, thin walls between rooms, floor to ceiling windows, so yes it could be noisy sometimes, that's why i always brought my earplugs, and it's not the hotel's fault. Especially if it's situated near bars/restaurant/city square. But again, i didn't encounter any of the problems.
I have stayed in many hotels in Asia and Europe, from basic hostel/apartments to the 5 stars and exclusive villas, and as an Indonesian, who is used to asian hospitality, where service with smile is a must, i have to say.. El Ladron d'Agua excells in every way.
Thanx to all the staff and keep up the good work.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank RainierRevireino
Reviewed 28 September 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights in July and it was simply wonderful. The location is perfect. The hotel is very clean, beautifully decorated, great breakfast and very peaceful. Perfect place to stay if you are visiting Granada.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Wynne16
Reviewed 18 July 2008

The experience we had in this hotel was literally unbelievable, undoubtedly the worst treatment I have ever received by a hotel anywhere in the world!
To begin with the "deluxe room with view of Al Hambra and Jacuzzi" as advertised was a joke. There was nothing deluxe about this room except for the price of €170. But that was OK as we were in Granada for a special occasion so we weren't too bothered. The problems began when we tried to sleep, the noise in the hotel especially in the early morning was intolerable. So much so that we decided to switch hotels and informed the girl behind the desk the next day. Her response was incredible! Not only were we overcharged for the room, and extras that we never used but she wanted to charge us another €170 for a 2nd night even though we were checking out because of the noise! I was looking for candid cameras as I was quite shocked at her behaviour! I have never in my life seen hotel staff scream and shout at guests while banging her fist on the desk! I thought OK time to call the police here, this is totally unacceptable!
Then the manager of the hotel arrives and calmly agrees that half of the €170 would be acceptable. I was surprised but we paid just to get out of the place and move our bags over to our new hotel, and get ready for the wedding that we were attending.
We arrive in our new hotel to find a message saying we left something behind in the old one. Unusual we thought as we never said where we were going. Anyway we head back and ask the manager what did we leave behind? Nothing he says, I just wanted to find out where you were and proceeded to verbally abuse my girlfriend right in front of me calling her a liar and badly educated! The irony is that she has actually has more Degrees and MBAs than anyone I know! I could not believe what I was hearing! We walked out in shock, went back to our 2nd hotel and got a legal complaint form from the desk, which we are sending to the Granada Tourism board and the Spanish hotels regulator. We would have gone to the police but we had a wedding that day and were leaving the next morning, and even though the second hotel was very nice and the staff very polite, we really just wanted to get out of Granada as fast as possible! ... a pity as it truly is a beautiful place to visit.
I warn any readers, stay away from El Ladron de Agua! This is not a professional hotel and I have no idea how they got three stars! Their treatment of us was a disgrace!

Stayed: June 2008
11  Thank CultureMoment
eldarroGranada, Director at El Ladron de Agua, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2009

The only objective facts regarding this complaint are as follows: These clients had come to attend a wedding and were satisfied after taking their room. At 3pm the following day they told the receptionist that they were leaving the hotel on account of an emergency, that they had also had problems with noise and that “suddenly” they no longer liked the room either. This is a quiet room on the third floor of the hotel. It is very attractive, with good views of the Alhambra and a hydromassage bath. No one has ever complained about it in the past; on the contrary, we have been congratulated on it frequently. Furthermore, they did not say anything to reception during the course of the first night or on the following morning. They were told that, given the time and the hotel’s policy regarding cancellations, they would have to pay for that day. They were unhappy about this and wished to speak to me, the hotel director. Believing that, besides their sudden dislike of the room, there had really been some kind of emergency, I decided to offer them special consideration and only charge them 50% for the second day of their stay. However, by chance I subsequently saw them enter the neighbouring hotel (40 metres away) and I was upset because they had used false pretences, simply to move to another location where, it seems, the main wedding group were staying. This decision is legitimate in itself and does not concern me, but consequently they should have paid their day’s stay and not have taken advantage of my credulity and good will as they did. They also happened to leave a night garment in the room, and we had to call them so that they could come and collect it; when they did so I drew their attention to the inopportune nature of their behaviour… I also said that it was not fair to badmouth the hotel and our conduct, which was extremely polite at all times. These clients have made absurd official complaints at the Local Council and other bodies, which have, of course, all been registered and filed. For our part, we are now going to look at initiating legal proceedings for slander and damage to our reputation. We would encourage everyone to come and see for themselves what this hotel and the room in question are like. If you are not satisfied after your first night you will not be charged. Many thanks. The director, El ladrón de Agua.

Reviewed 23 June 2008

We stayed in this hotel on a friday and saturday night
We loved the hotel and while our room was at the back of the hotel it was extremely noisey all night and I mean all night
until 5 or 6 in the morning
The hotel is centrally situated close to restaurants and close to the bus to the alhambra
It is not easy to get to as you need a taxi to get there from the airport as well as the railway station

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 9 March 2008

This is a lovely hotel in an classic Moorish house built around a central courtyard in the centre of Granada. We stayed in a room that looked out onto the street and up the wall to the Alhambra. It was beautifully furnished with a wooden writing desk and a comfortable bed. There is a lovely library downstairs where you can use the internet or browse books.
The owner was charming and extremely helpful. The breakfast was good and the location is brilliant. You are just off the central square and very near lots of bars and restaurants. And the Alhambra is a short bus ride
You can't park anywhere near there, in fact we tried to drive and thought out mini-van was going to get stuck at one stage!
Would definitely recommend this as a great place to stay in a romantic city.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank pequenitaLondon