“Unbelievable hotel - it is just gorgeous!”
Review of Villa Oniria

Villa Oniria
Ranked #27 of 124 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Our family booked four rooms over Christmas at Villa Oniria. The design of the place is stunning, as was the food at the restaurant where we had a very special Christmas Eve dinner. It's a five minute walk into the main squares, so it's close to the action. I had booked it on behalf of the family (my in-laws), and they were all bowled over - I felt pretty chuffed that I'd lucked upon such an amazing place.

And of course Granada is a perfect backdrop.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 December 2008

We booked a room at Villa Oniria in order to be in the same hotel as a friend who was getting married. We absolutely loved it! Our room was fantastic, and the personnel were very very kind! I was trying to use my poor Spanish and they were trying hard to understand without offending me!!! We also used the spa and were very impressed and we absolutely recommend breakfast, it was a feast! We loved the chorizo, the cheese, the fresh bread rolls, everything!!
The hotel is ideally located, 5 minutes walk from the cathedral, close to the main squares where all the tapas and cafes are, and also offers parking (I think the charge was 12 euros). In the August heat, when Granada is burning, just returning to the hotel from a day's sightseeing and having an afternoon drink in the hotel patio, felt like heaven. It is expensive but we thought it was a nice treat to ourselves on the start of our trip around Andalusia. I think our excellent impression of Granada also has to do with the fact that we were so pleased with the hotel...
In Greek the word "oniro" means dream, so the hotel has definitely lived up to its name!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 December 2008

To begin with, Granada is beautiful, rich in history and character. We loved Granada. It is an excellent choice when deciding where to go in Spain. However, the hotel was a different story. I will say the bed was comfortable and the fixtures and common areas were very nice. Otherwise, a bad experience. I’ll just quickly list need to know details. Our confirmation sheet, which we brought with us and showed to the hotel personnel, had us listed in a room with a balcony and a sitting area. The room that we were given was tiny with no windows. When I say tiny, the only other room I remember staying in that was smaller was in NY City with a room rate of $90. We were simply told “I’m sorry” and given back our confirmation sheet. However, when looking around the hotel, we noticed that there were many larger rooms with balconies and seating areas as described on our reservation and it didn’t appear that the hotel was full during the late November off-season.

The room did have skylights in the slanted roof, which we ended up needing. The HVAC was broken or turned off and the heat was unbearable to the point that sleep was impossible, despite the fact that it was near freezing outside. We were able to crack the skylights, which helped some. However, the outside street noise was then the problem with people on the street until 5 a.m. There was no shower curtain and rod. Only a tub, which was unique in some sense, but a bit awkward when washing your hair, etc. Plus, my husband could observe all of this awkwardness because there was a glass window separating the shower from the bedroom. I guess fine for close couples, but probably uncomfortable for those less familiar. Furthermore, the bathroom had a glass door, which did not separate the bathroom smell from the room. There were no TV channels in English; although in Spain for the sites, it is nice to come back to relax at night (I was hoping for a CNN in English, which is available in most Spanish hotels). I do not recall any payperview either. Also, we phoned the front desk for a wake up call. After the line rang for about a minute, someone who was watching the big soccer match (what we assume as it was loudly playing in the background) took the info. We did received the call, but were a bit anxious through the night. The hotel does have a gym, but you must pay 8 euros to use. It has one treadmill and a handful of weight machines. Furthermore, the gym, which is completely unattended and not in a locked room, had operating hours. I was stopped by hotel personnel in the lobby and told to wait 20 minutes because the “gym” had not opened yet. Opening time was at 10:00 a.m. After waiting outside the door for 20 minutes, I walked into the gym where no one noticed I was there. When asking about spa services, the hotel told me that no appointments were available and did not offer to find any appointments elsewhere. Our reservation, as listed on the confirmation slip that we presented to the hotel, also included free breakfast. When we were checking out, the hotel, I guess noticed that we had breakfast, and tried to charge us. It was awkward as we again asked for something that we were supposed to have included. Weird again, no one came outside to move the movable railing so that we could drive our car out. In the rain, I was moving this hotel railing so that my husband could drive the car out. Finally, later on in the day after checking our receipt we noticed that we had been charged tax on our stay, despite the fact that our reservation said that tax was included in our rate.

We only stayed at the hotel 2 nights, and these are just the details I recall off the top of my head. Taking the improperly charged tax into consideration, this was the most expensive hotel we stayed at during our trip, but definitely the least enjoyable. We would like to view the experience with optimism, so we will just label the experience as weird with no bad intentions due to our lack of fluent Spanish or U.S. passports. However, that being said, we would never return, nor recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
8  Thank bradfomj
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Villa Oniria is located in the city centre of Granada. right downtown, walking distance to everywhere you want to see. It provides a luxurious place to escape, a refuge from city noises,in a lovingly set traditional Andalusian palatial architecture, by renowned Madrid born architect Pascua Ortega. This is in effect a true deserving deluxe World Hotels Chain establishment. There are some 31 comfortable and welcoming rooms over two floors, so attractive we caught a professional photographer taking poses of his mate in the staircase. With the color scheme and studied ambiance, it is relaxing all over.There is an small and well appointed garden, bursting with aromatic plants leading onto a beautiful inner patio.that leads to an interior gastronomic restaurant ( at least , we tried the breakfasts), a well equipped fitness centre and inviting spa, wi-fi internet and valet parking. But more than anything, SERVICE, SERVICE AND SERVICE. Well worth a 5, all around.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 October 2008

we have just returned from our honeymoon and we stayed there for 3 nights on our way to almeria. hotel was nice,clean and very relaxing,room was very modern with beautiful wetroom shower and nice bathroom.room was a bit small but airy with air con as it was september and very hot 40c, bed was divine really comfortable. our room over looked the street below but was not noisy.we choose a mid floor room as the attic rooms are very enclosed with no views and only have skylights.the service was not very good for example we had to go looking for someone if we wanted a drink, when we did find the receptionist she took ages to get a barman for us,this happened many times as it was annoying because we were on honeymoon. but if you want a relaxing stay with no noise and no kids and to stay in a lovely decor room with all mod cons this the perfect place due to the fact its in a city.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank JamesEimear
Reviewed 7 October 2008

6 of us stayed for two nights recently on the way to a family wedding, it was just a wonderful start to the holiday.
We all loved the hotel from the first moment we walked into it, the reception staff are so good and the smell of vanilla in the air was lovely. The rooms we had were large enough though be warned a lot of glass is used so be careful with whom you share. The rooms were quiet and dark at night so no complaints there, the location is good also and the car gets taken away and returned for you when you need it.
The only problem with this hotel is the restaurant, the food when you get it is excellent. But the service is just about the worst I have experienced in a long long time. It started with the wrong table been allocated to us we wanted to eat in the garden and they tried to push us inside. Perhaps this upset them as the we had to wait for about 30 minutes to get a menu in English then it was one poor photo copy to share between 6 people. A further 40 minutes passed before our order was taken and a bit of bread placed on our side plates. Then a further 40 minutes before the starters arrived - so nearly 2 hours from entering the restaurant before we had something to eat - this despite complaining on two seperate occassions. The food when it came was very good to be fair.
I would strongly recommend this hotel but dont use the restaurant it is just that bad.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2008

This beautiful hotel in a quiet back street in Granada is the perfect place for a romantic holiday. It is a haven of peace after the bustle of the Alhambra, or a day spent driving through the baking heat of Andalusia. The photographs on its website look attractive, but the reality is even better.

The staff are welcoming, courteous and efficient, and many of them speak English. The atrium of the hotel is candle-lit and features a pool which provides the peaceful sound of running water in the background. The garden, where we dined on our first evening, is secluded and charming: it's difficult to believe that you are in the middle of a large city. Our room on the first floor, overlooking the street, was not large, but quiet and very comfortable, with all the facilities of a much larger hotel - flat-screen television, minibar, safe.

Breakfast was in the dining room, and offered a wide choice of dishes to suit all tastes.

We had returned for a second visit this year, and were offered free use of the spa for the duration of our visit, which we greatly enjoyed.

I really cannot recommend this hotel highly enough . . . although I don't want too many people to find out about it, or I might not be able to book a room for next summer!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple