“Worst hostel I've stayed at - and I've stayed at many”
Review of Terrapin Station

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granada
Terrapin Station
Ranked #98 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Granada
Reviewed 19 November 2007

6:33am (NEW!)

If you use sites like [--] you need to be aware of a particular hostel in Granada that's on there with high ratings called Terrapin Station.

They only opened in July and by August they had a 92% rating....very hard to believe but that's most likely because they've gotten people they to know make a reservation and then make a review - this is what they accused their competition of while I was there. They spoke of this on at least 2 occasions, I realize how important these booking sites are to them because without them, no one would be able to find them.

It's by far the worst hostel I've stayed at and I've stayed at a lot of hostels, some gross and dingy...have a look at some of the low-rated reviews on [--] to confirm what I've posted.

They cancelled my reservation before I was due to arrive but when I emailed to inquire they said my reservation still stands (I never thought anything of this until I got there) because they cancelled it, I was unable to make a review and no wonder why...I left out a lot of the stuff:

1. owners are high all the time and smoke in the one and only 'lounge' rooms...I don't have a problem with this except, they are of little use as hostel and quite incompetent (see #3)
2. one of the owners sunbathed nude on the terrace while i was napping, even when he knew I was very uncomfortable and upset by this he kept moving towards me so I would look at him (no one else in the hostel was around)
3. their security consists of a pothead who sleeps beside the door - who was was too high to wake up and open the door for one of the guest who had a early morning flight - so he ended up JUMPING from a 2nd story window!
4. no access to a phone there - have to go to a payphone 2 mins away - no internet either and there is only one public internet cafe in the Albacin
5. they provide no help or info on the city: no good maps or suggestions
6. 1 bathroom for 15 people (8 beds, 5 hammocks, 2 owners)
7. only access to the terrace is through the washroom - which means ppl on the terrace can get locked out if someone forgets to unlock the door
8. no security at all. there are no safes or lockers. only lock is on the front door which is left open most of day...doesn't matter if the owners aren't going to steal, other guests might

I've sent Hostel World several emails questioning the integrity and accuracy since people rely on these sites when making a booking...all I get from them is that they're investigating the situation. They did pass my email to the owners who responding by outright lying about everything - completely denied all this. However, the reviews on the site confirm a lot of this and other people also note that the owners get abusive as well -- I caution single women who plan to stay there.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank oceania26