“Good but could do better”
Review of EME Catedral Hotel

EME Catedral Hotel
Ranked #45 of 176 Hotels in Seville
Newcastle
“Good but could do better”
Reviewed 27 November 2010

As someone who stops in chain hotels regularly with work I was looking for something slightly different. The EME provided this with a good choice of amenities on-site inc bars, restaurants and spa's. The staff were very friendly and with a slight more attention I would have given the hotel a top rating. The couple of niggles we had were :-

- We arrived at the hotel at 1400 and were told our room would not be ready until 1500 and were offered a complimentary drink which was fine. At 1500 I went to reception and was told the room was still not ready but would be about a further 15minutes and someone would tell us as we were sat in the bar. I noticed that the porter was taking our baggage but only when I asked for a third time were we told the room was ready and the baggage had been taken up. The issue here is simple communication as if we had not have asked we may well have been in the bar still awaiting the room I suspect.

- The room we had was fine with bang up to do electronics,etc but I could suggest a few simple improvements to enhance the experience - firstly provide some instructions as to how to use things like the aircon (I'm not a technophobe as I work in the IT industry but still found it somewhat hard to work out) , provide more lighting in the room and lastly provide sufficient drawer space as we had been travelling for several days so the space was insufficient. Overall I would stop again in the EME and Seville is a brilliant city but the EME just needs to make that final push to improve

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
VALCARCEL, Manager at EME Catedral Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2011
Dear GUEST,

I really hope you and your family are fine at the reception of this message.

First at all I would like to thank you for your kind comments.

EME Catedral HOTEL it´s normally fullybooked that´s the main reason why we can not offer the tipycall Check in around 12PM because that´s exactly the hour our GUEST leave their room. So we have 3 hour to get them all ready. For this reason and only sometimes it may happen that some GUEST have to wait because we are just finishing. How embarrassing then! Sadly it happened to you and I really apologize.

Thank you so much for your brilliant idea about the aircon. We have decided to add it to the main directory: certainly you deserve at least a bottle of cava next time here in your house and of course I pay my respect to you.

A lot of customer asked for more place in our "non-wardrobe" (like we are internally in the use of refer about): Finally and because only listening our GUEST comments it´s like we will improve we have bought an extra extension and we have place a sign letting our GUEST know that in case of need they may request them just ringing reception up. We have done the same for extra light in the room.

Thank you very much again.

Yours Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Turkish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 October 2010

i booked this hotel on recommendation by a local Spanish company via bookings.com on a prepaid basis non refundable. Due to personal reason i had to postpone the travel by 1 week. i sent an email to the hotel in advance of my stay in order to inform them so that they could give the room to somebody else and asked them if it would be possible to get a voucher for the next time i would book their hotel but got no answer. i resent an email after my stay was due and finally got an aswer with a simple formal NO. Eventhouh it was correct that it was non refundable i consider for such a "luxus" hotel a minor gesture to have at least offered a voucher for a drink since this makes the difference between a value hotel and standard hotel. This shows simply that this is a snobby hotel interested only in the money and not in offering distictive customer service.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank fcasali
Dear GUEST,

I really hope you and your family are fine at the reception of this message.

I truly agree all your comments. At least a proper answer, a proper explanation.
I`m realy sorry. You are right: a minor gesture can be sometimes the biggest one.
We did not do it well at all.

Will you please contact us again and I promise you we will satisfied your expectations.

Sincerely yours
Luton
Reviewed 27 October 2010

I wsa really disappointed with this hotel. The room we were given was really small. It had just enough room for the bed. There was no such thing as a wardrobe - only a bar sticking out from the wall with 6 hangers on it. The room did have a shower and toilet which had frosted glass so no privacy at all! I have been to many hotels in Seville and by far this was the worst. The only thing I can say in its favour was the location which was very central. In my opinion it is definitly not a 5 * hotel. The hostels near by seem to be much better value for money. I would never go back again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank carmelkeenan
Dear GUEST,
I hope you and your family are fine at the reception of this message.
First at all I would like to thank you for your comments.
I would like to let you know that actually we are improving our rooms descriptions in web world letting know to our potential customers that all our rooms are differents one from another. Even we have redefined our room typology as follows: SMALL EME, EME DELUXE, EME GRAND DELUXE and finally EME SUITE as we have realized that guest expectation were not being satisfied at all when they contract former EME STANDARD. For all of the above descriptions we have assigned a matching expectation price without any doubt at all.
Our special design in rooms offer to our guest many posibilities. In one of them for example it´s even to get a bath or a shower being observed at you own discrection of course.

I have to say that we are really sorry and I truly apologyze for all the inconvenients we may caused to you and your family.

Sincerely yours
Sheffield
Reviewed 14 September 2010

Having read some negative reviews we were hesitant about staying here. However, we needn't have worried. From the moment we arrived (much too early to check in) we were treated fantastically. Staff were friendly and efficient. Even though our room wasn't ready, we were offered a welcome drink and our luggage was taken care of. Nina on reception was especially helpful - she suggested local bars and restaurants we might like and even went to the trouble of highlighting them on a map. Our room was very stylish and comfortable. In fact the whole hotel is stunning. The only downside for me is that some of the design details (like the shower cubicle and clothes hanging area) aren't very practical, but any inconvenience is easily outweighed by the stylishness. We had an amazing meal in the Santo restaurant - expensive but worth it for the quality of food, service and attention to detail. Breakfast was good and we also enjoyed meals in the tapas bar and Japanese restaurant (though the latter was let down by slow service). All in all a great experience and you couldn't wish for a better location. You haven't lived till you've tried looking at La Giralda on your back in the rooftop pool!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 9 September 2010

There was nothing to fault with the hotel. Staff were excellent and very friendly. We stayed in a basic room. It was excellent. Very large, and very stylish. There is a great pool on the roof with a view of the cathedral. It was perfect for cooling down in the heat. Our package came with breakfast and this was of a very high standard. Drinks are expensive and I would recommend eating in the tapas bar.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Some reviewers seem to have had issues with cleanliness and service. I cannot comment on these issues, because everything in this regard was fine during my stay - I don't know whether an ability to speak Spanish might have helped!

So, based on my personal experience...

It is difficult to imagine that there is a more stylish hotel in Sevilla than this one. Its location is of course second-to-none, right next to the Giralda, with an astonishing view from the rooftop terrace. The interior and the rooms ooze style and sleek, and the entire experience is a pleasure from beginning to end. Breakfast is terrific. Of course this is the opposite of the romantic ‘palacio-con-patio’ hotels also to be found in Sevilla, and those who choose to stay here will be making a conscious decision to go for a designer hotel. That said, it is a decision you are unlikely to regret – five stars in every way.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2010

A fantastically modern hotel situated over the road from the largest Gothic Cathedral in the world. But prices to match!! The rooms are equipped with ultra modern fixtures and fittings but there was nowhere to store our gear!!! The staff are extremely professional and approachable and all a bit too good looking!!!
The roof top terrace is an extaordinary experience, particularly at night with the Cathedral up lit. Be warned, we paid 110 Euros for a meal for two and 25 Euros for 2 Mojitos. Its very expensive to eat or drink in the hotel and not much cheaper in the immediate surroundings. There is nowhere else in Seville with these amazing views of the city. Bring plenty of cash!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple