“Disgusting staff”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Casco Antiguo
Description: Italian restaurant that serves Mediterranean food in a unique environment, an Arabic bath from the 12th century. The establishment has different ambiances divided on three floors. Fresh food and professional waiters. High hygiene and full comply of sanitary measures for COVID-19.
Reviewed 17 August 2016 via mobile

My parents and I visited this restaurant a few weeks ago. We were walked to our seats and all was fine. However, after a few minutes, I heard two arrogant waiters saying very derogatory things about myself in Spanish. Of course, they presumed I couldn't understand them but I do speak very good Spanish. The things the waiters were saying right in front of me made me feel incredibly uncomfortable and I've never felt so embarrassed. Only visit this restaurant if you can't speak Spanish or don't mind being degraded by waiters.

4  Thank charliehuntington
Write a reviewReviews (2,733)

Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

The garlic bread was completely tasteless as not on good bread at all. My daughter had the pesto pasta and was not good either, my pasta was tasteless, husband had roast lamb which was ok but not great. My 7 year old had steak which was the best of all of us. Choose somewhere else if you are visiting with children somewhere that caters for them.

Date of visit: August 2016
1  Thank MrsHarris21
Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

The 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal. The flavours were wonderful. We shared 2 starters - cheese spinach parcel and mushroom stuffed eggplant that were both far better than any of my meat eating friends expected. All had a main meal each that we loved. Salmon/pasta/ lasagne. Beautiful wine and an extremely good value meal. Go... Dress nicely, it's really lovely.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 14 August 2016

Dress well when you go to this restaurant, or you'll feel out of place!
San Marco is a wonderful, cosy/tightly packed restaurant with charm - lots of charm.
I'm not sure if it felt like a fast food restaurant, or just a very busy, popular restaurant with many customers.
We ordered our food - spaghetti in olive oil and garlic, a carbonara dish, and another vegetarian dish. Our food was out, and on our table within 15 minutes. I'm sure a lot of it wasn't freshly prepared....more like pre-prepared.
The dry bread sticks - eat them, don't eat them. You still end up paying just under a Euro for them.
The setting of the restaurant is beautiful, and the food was tasty. One of our children who has recently turned vegetarian was very happy with her food. We did feel uncomfortable as most of the diners were couples, and we were there with our kids - probably making too much noise.
There are other restaurants to choose from, unfortunately most of them were either fully booked or closed for the summer - we'd gone to San Marco on a Sunday evening.

Reviewed 10 August 2016

When you get tired of tapas, paellas, and suckling pig, try San Marco for an excellent Italian meal. The restaurant is beautiful set in an old Arab bathhouse. The homemade pastas were light and delicious.