“Great location, but many sizes of rooms”
Review of Gran Melia Colon

Gran Melia Colon
Ranked #7 of 177 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed at this hotel as part of a Queenslander tour. We were given the smallest rooms offered. The rooms were well equipped, with a nice selection of soaps, shampoos, etc. Our refrig was broken, and was "repaired" by someone coming up and unplugging it and saying "call if it isn't getting cold in 1 hour". It never got cold, and since we seemed to be "bothering" we never called again. The room was not well maintained. I don't think the baseboards had been vacuumed in quite some time. The front desk staff weren't rude, but didn't seem to want to be to helpful. The breakfast was very good, and the breakfast staff were so helpful and attentive. The whirlpool on the roof was nice. Would I stay there again? probably not, and if I did I would be sure to ask for a different room other than 428.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank judinewyork
Write a ReviewReviews (2,525)

Reviewed 14 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights while touring Spain. This hotel is in a remarkably great location and has above standard luxury for what you would normally find in 4* hotels throughout Europe. We were especially pleased with the surprise jacuzzi on the rooftop and the lovely breakfast, which was included in our stay. I also enjoyed the fact that each hotel room door had a unique replica of a famous painter from Spain, and each floor a different theme!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrisk154943
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying, I thought this was a ME by MELIA hotel. It's not. That being said, it is in a good location. As soon as we entered the lobby, there was a smell that never went away, of -well for lack of a better word-sewer. The hotel was clean, the staff was excellent and helpful. I had a problem that they were VERY helpful in resolving.
I booked the romance suite.
The room was weird. It was all white, and had a bizarre layout. No real window except to what seemed to be an air shaft , but was closed up with curtains. they kept it in ambient lamp light, and rose Petals on the bed. It had an oversized tub/shower thing.
Did not care for it at all.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank booyaboy
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Gran Melia Colon has lovely rooms designed in contemporary style. The wi-fi wasnt working in the hotel when we arrived. Also, parking is quite expensive. The hotel is also not too close to the city highlights.

Room Tip: Choose the Panaromic city view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank richierich00124
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I have stayed in several other Melia hotels , but I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality here . It is an old building , I think 1909 , but has been completely transformed yet at the same time retaining much of the old style and charm . It has some funky touches , especially in the rooms which are bright and modern , whilst the public areas have a " grand " atmosphere . Location really good , on the edge of the old quarter so all of the main sights are within a few minutes walk , as is the riverside which is lively at night .
They could have done with a pool , but the rooftop spa has a Jacuzzi , plus the views are fantastic .
Staff were superb , friendly and efficient .
PS - Each room has a classic picture on the door , very unique

Room Tip: If budget permits , go for a corner suite with extra living room
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel, staff, gymnasium, jacuzzi & spa and breakfast are all amazing. Parking is little on the expensive side. Otherwise a fantastic luxury property. We had a great time here and would definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank asbedi
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

My family and I had reserved 2 superior panoramic view rooms for 2 nights months before our July arrival. At the time of booking our rooms on Meliá.com we received a coupon for €20 per room per day. Also, free high speed wireless internet was promised for all rooms. On arrival at the hotel at 2 pm our room was not available. Our reservation clearly states that checkin time was "from 12:00". We were told it would be ready by 3 pm. When I presented the coupon on check-in as instructed I was told the coupon would only apply to food and beverages acquired at the hotel. I indicated that was not stated on the coupon or on the website. The receptionist was excellent and very polite and spoke to her manager on my behalf. The manager confirmed the coupon would only apply to food and drinks. We had lunch in the hotel which was nice and again, our servers could not have been friendlier or more efficient. When lunch was finished our rooms were ready. The rooms were on the top floor with terrific views. However, we had no Internet access. I spoke to the reception and they confirmed that they were working on the in house network and they knew my room had no Internet - "sorry". The tv in the room was small and all English channels (4 or 5) were so fuzzy they were not watchable. The house phones did not work for in room calling which was important to us since our children's room was not adjacent to ours. You are to dial 1 and then the room number. In dialing the first number of my kids room, the phone gave a busy signal. There is no turn down service at this hotel either. It was extremely hot in Seville - over 45C -both days and having a cool shower before dinner was great. With no turn down service, it meant no dry towels in the morning without a call to housekeeping. On check out, I decided not to make a complaint about these deficiencies as I was on vacation and not looking to ruin anyone's day or my own. However, when I reviewed our room charges no amount of discount was applied to our bill. The receptionist had no record of the coupon. I provided it again and indicated the discussion I had at check-in. He indicated that they would only apply €40 to the €65 lunch bill on day 1 since there were no food or drinks at the hotel on day 2. According to him, management interpreted the discount as only applicable to a maximum of €20 per room per day. I told him that this was very unsatisfactory. I indicated that it seemed as though the hotel was very inflexible about unwritten restrictions that applied to the discounts that were in my favour but they were more flexible about what services were to be included with my stay - such as check-in time, high speed wireless Internet, television etc. - that were promised in writing. I told the receptionist I was unhappy and he said he was sorry but offered nothing. I declined to speak to the manager as I had a train to catch. I will not stay at Meliá hotels in future. There are many other options. I will also add that I had great expectations of this hotel after we had a perfect 5 night stay at the Gran Meliá Fenix in Madrid. The receptionist in Madrid applied the same coupon discount to our room charges at check-in without question.

• Stayed: July 2013