“Nice, but not really 5 star...”
Review of Gran Melia Colon

Gran Melia Colon
Ranked #7 of 178 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Gran Melia Colon has the attributes of trying but not quite getting to 5 star status. It lacks in good customer service - the type that makes you feel special.

We paid for a premium room with Red level service. The view in the room was terrible - a tiny window showing the view of a church roof and wall. (No city view as advertised!) The additional lounge area was dark, badly lit and uninviting to sit in. The bathroom whilst looking lovely, had a shower that flooded the room as the screen was completely inadequate for use and there was nowhere to hang towels, clothes etc except for 2 small hooks. Whilst the room looked clean and pretty, there was small things like wobbly lamps and missing door hooks that gave it a less than 5 star feeling. There was supposed to be personal check out with our service, but no one told us how to get it and in the end I had to ask a member of staff to help us at the lobby and she reluctantly checked us out. Room service food was awful - overcooked pasta, soggy fries. The pillow menu was a joke - a lot of the pillows were not as advertised. Having said that, the beds were very comfortable and I slept well, except for the church bell that likes to wake you up every 8am.

The service felt very mediocre. We were ignored in most part at breakfast and had to walk over to someone to order some tea/coffee. Even then, it took the best part of 15mins for anything to arrive. And every time we asked someone, it felt like we were annoying their busy schedule. The only people to smile genuinely were housekeeping and the porters who were lovely. Visited the in-house restaurant and the service was appalling. We waited for 5 mins to be noticed and seated (even when the place had only 3 tables in), 10mins for a menu, 15mins for our drinks and 20 to 30 mins for our meals. I actually gave up for my final tapas after a wait of 45 mins.

If I ever return to Sevilla, I'll make sure to stay elsewhere, especially when spending north of £200 a night! Although it was clean and well located, its not worth what we paid for. Really disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank SJLondon8
SEVILLACOLON, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Gran Melia Colon, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear JessiejjLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Gran Melia Colon. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Gran MeliaColon, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Celia Martin

Write a ReviewReviews (2,561)

Reviewed 13 October 2013

A great 5 stars hotel in a very nice location, superb service, lovely decor, rooms not too big but very nice and very well decorated, to me and my friends it was just perfect, and yes I loved the doors with the paintings of Spanish painters! Be sure to check the view from the terrace!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Back recently from 12 days in Spain, including 3 nights at the Gran Melia Colon in Seville. This hotel boasts significant positives, but our experience was not entirely great.

The Negatives:

In advance of leaving home, I devoted substantial time to trying to order through Gran Melia Colon tickets for the bullfights taking place during our stay. Twice, I began an email dialogue with a hotel staffer only for the emails to end abruptly without conclusion and the person never wrote back. Finally, on my third attempt, I was able to place my ticket order (and submit a credit card charge form) by email, and was told that the tickets would be presented to us upon check-in. But, upon check-in, the hotel did not have our tickets, and in fact, the staff seemed to have no record whatsoever of my prior communications.

At check-in, we asked the hotel to reserve us seats at a flamenco show taking place later that evening. We were told that that was done, only to find upon arrival at the show that they had no record of a reservation under our name or the hotel's name.

The hotel room bathroom, while modern and attractive, is dysfunctional in two respects:

First, it's difficult to turn on the sink water without spraying water all over the counters; the sinks water-stain horribly; and, I spent 15 minutes (unsuccessfully) trying to figure out how to raise the sink plunger in order to drain the sink of water.

Second, while we are familiar with European tub showers that have only a short wall designed to contain splashing water, the shower in our room was even more difficult than usual. It was good that we were provided with 4 bath towels for 2 people because, despite our best efforts, it was impossible not to flood the bathroom floor with every shower.

Our hotel room had a complicated light switch system that was irritatingly difficult to use.

All that aside, I still give Gran Melia Colon four stars because of its many positives:

Tino. This is the guy who checked us in. Despite clearly finding no record at the hotel of my bullfight ticket order, he went out of his way to secure two tickets and deliver them to our room. And we had great seats at the fights. Tino displayed excellent customer service not only in getting us want we wanted, but also doing so with good cheer and choosing all the right words in dealing with us. Considering how much time I devoted to the ticket issue before leaving home, I would likely have become irate over the hotel's failure to do what they said they'd do. But at no point did I get angry, simply because Tino knew how to say all the right things.

The hotel is beautiful. The lobby as well as our room had a wow-factor in appearance.

The hotel and our room were extremely clean and well appointed.

And the hotel could not be more centrally located to all the principal tourist sites on our itinerary.

Overall, despite the screw-ups, we still enjoyed our stay at Gran Melia Colon.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelLover23456
Reviewed 12 October 2013

OVERALL: My husband and I (30-something couple from NYC/Boston) stayed here during our 10th wedding anniversary trip to Spain. We were lucky to get a great last minute deal for Gran Melia Colon, and we would definitely return. The stunning aesthetic and service definitely feel five star: however, a few minor design flaws are worth noting.

LOCATION is perfect! 20 min cab from train station. Walking distance to all tourist sites.

CHECK-IN & SERVICE: Smooth, friendly, and informative. Amanda checked us in, offered a glass of grapa, and Elsa (?) escorted us to our room with a guide of the hotel. Bags quickly followed. Lobby, bar, and restaurant are all modernly designed with a clean and unique feel. We stopped by the spa and the view from the solarium is a must see. Our trip was too short and our dates incompatible with scheduling an appointment, so I cannot comment on the spa.

ROOM: 424 - Beautifully designed with spacious closets, small couch for sitting, magazines, desk, stocked (but overpriced) mini-fridge, large flat screen TV, real king bed (NOT twins pushed together), five star amenities (like a pillow menu, and even an iron). The light switches were a bit overly confusing (seems odd, but they even provide instructions! see pic). The black/white/red/gold is really stunning and the enlarged damask and unique lighting give a modern high-end feel. BATHROOM was spacious with double vanities and five-star amenities. A sliding frosted glass door divides the bidet/toilet from the rest of the bathroom. A clear glass wall divides the shower from the sleeping area, and there is a curtain provided for those who may prefer privacy. The tub is a nice deep soaker and the shower has two heads (a hand-held and rain). The sinks are too small, and the bathtub/shower design cause a lot of water spillage on the floor. This room has a pleasant view of a street below and rooftops of Seville. Wifi in this room doesn't really work, so if that is important to you, be prepared to ask for a wire connection. Also the safe battery died the day we left. We didn't really consider any of these minor issues worth reporting at the time (but we did mention the safe at check out).

BREAKFAST: Extensive buffet. This was included in our deal, and I'm glad it was! Lots of options, and held us over for quite a while. Service at breakfast was good one day, and bad the next. We had to ask 3 times (3 different people) for tea, which didn't come until we finished our meal (because the first 2 ignored the request). Again, it didn't ruin anything, but for five-star, I feel it's worth mentioning.

BAR: We ended each of our three nights at the bar, which was always quiet (near empty) with a large screen TV (actually 3x3 TVs to make up one large screen) showing futbol highlights. Guillermo tended bar each night and offered great and friendly service and conversation. He even knew how to pour a drink we couldn't seem to get anywhere else.

I would highly recommend Gran Melia Colon to anyone visiting Seville.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I could not fault this hotel .The staff were nothing short of excellent, the barman needing a special mention as he was efficient, polite and respectful, even at 2AM. The room was spacious, modern and tasteful., the only down side being the incomprehensible light switch system. The restaurant under reception served the best modern styled tapas I have ever tasted (the braised ox-tail and the croquettes deserve a special mention). Everywhere in central Seville was in walking distance which made the whole experience a delight.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 October 2013

we just arrived home from a ten day trip to spain. we spent 3 nights in sevilla at the gran melia colon. it was perfectly located in a quiet, residential neighborhood with outdoor cafes, restaurants and shops and yet, it took only a couple of walking minutes to be in the heart of the action!!
we walked all over seville looking for good places for tapas and found the best to be right at the sidewalk cafe of the gran melia!! the service was great! the entire staff is welcoming, helpful, and friendly!!
hats off to CARMEN, the breakfast hostess!! she was exceptionally attentive, took great care of us, and did it all with a wonderful and genuine smile!! she deserves one of the stars in our review!!! THANK YOU CARMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELL DONE!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Great location smack in the middle of the city - most of the historic sites are within10-15 minutes walking distance - including the avantgarde Parasol congress centre, The hotel has been tastefully refurbished, the rooms are fair-sized, clean and comfortable. Can recommend rooms on the 6th or 7th floor with balcony and panorama view of Seville. Breakfast is ample and good, the restaurant serves a great and creative selection of tapas at reasonable prices, well worth visiting. What makes this hotel stand out, though, is the service. Never seen so many friendly staff in a hotel in Europe, and highly efficient at that. On the downside: WiFi is a bit dodgy and you need to be an electronics boffin to master the room lighting.But would stay there again anytime.

Room Tip: Go for floors 6 and 7 with a panorma view and balcony.