Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville
Ranked #8 of 177 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We never wanted to leave this hotel. Our room was spectacular with a sitting area and two bathrooms. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The bathrooms were large and clean. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We had breakfast each morning and it was delicious. We had dinner at the hotel one evening and it was amazing - service was fabulous. The only thing I do not like is having dinner and breakfast in the same room (after 5 days of breakfasts I would have liked a different area for dinner) but that is very common in many hotels. We would definitely stay here if we visit Seville again and recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ManhattanTraveler28
Write a ReviewReviews (2,271)

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I left the Hotel Alfonso XIII after a 7-night stay just over a week ago, and I'm still having withdrawal symptoms, pining for this magnificent hotel. It is easily the best hotel experience I've ever had and it absolutely made our time in Seville. We were genuinely sad to leave it, as opposed to just wishing our vacation was lasting a little longer...

The hotel itself is, physically, magnificent. It's obvious from the decor that the Hotel Alfonso doesn't just aim for luxury: it aims to exceed it. Palatial is a better description for the level of comfort at the Alfonso. Everything -- from the fixtures and fittings in our guest room to the tableware during lunch to the chairs in the business centre -- has been carefully chosen, is perfectly maintained and works to create a dream of a hotel experience. It also occupies an ideal location with all the main tourist sites only a few minutes' walk away, the tram passing right outside and lovely little area of coffee shops and tapas bars on its doorstep.

Where the Alfonso really excelled for me -- where it left all other hotels I've stayed in behind -- was the staff and the service they delivered. They were truly exceptional, especially the staff in the American Bar (the Moscow Mule is now my new favourite drink!) and at the breakfast/lunch/dinner restaurant. As smokers were frequently nipped out to the idyllic courtyard at the heart of the hotel, and not once did we do so without a member of staff immediately appearing to inquire if there was anything we needed.

For a five star hotel of this calibre, the prices weren't too eye-watering either. The room service menu was very reasonable, and the breakfast buffet -- a fabulous spread every morning -- was €19 per person, I believe.

Absolutely top notch service, in an amazing environment. I cannot fault this hotel. I just hope I get the opportunity to return to the hotel in the summer months so I can spend warm summer evenings working my way through the cocktail menu (again!) in the courtyard...

Tip: one evening we were lucky to receive a tapas bar recommendation from another guest who was staying at the hotel but was from Seville: the Casa Blanca tapas bar, only about a 2 minute walk from the hotel. We ended up there three times, and we would've gone more often if we'd stayed longer. Just fantastic. Stand at the bar and have the croquettes!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank catherineh1982
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I with some research and received recommendations from friends and decided to book a 5-stay at The Hotel Alfonso XIII in Seville. The Alfonso is a beautiful hotel in a great location. Built in 1929, the ballroom, courtyard, lobby,and function rooms were like being in a beautiful museum. The hotel is absolutely magnificent in the style of it's architecture and furnishings. The staff was extremely helpful, courteous and professional. We stayed in a standard room, which was beautiful and comfortable. The breakfast buffet which was included, was extraordinary with savory and delicious food. We had a truly gourmet dining experience. The cocktail lounge with a magnificent bar and cordial staff finished off our evenings in grand style. My wife and I love to cook and we were interested in in taking a cooking class to learn how to make Spanish paella. Upon our request, Sam, the director of the food and beverage department, arranged a a special cooking class at the hotel for us. Also, he arranged to have an intern staff member fron Brazil translate for Chef Carlis. She was terrific in making sure we understood everything the chef was explaining. She made us feel very comfortable despite the language barrier. The chef was very courteous and professional. His seafood paella was absolutely delicious. Cooked perfectly. We very much wanted to obtain a paella pain like the one used in the cooking class. Sam informed us he would do his best to obtain a paella pan. We were amazed and grateful that he went out of his way to obtain a special paella pan for us.. The hotel management must be very proud to have such an outstanding staff. Our stay at the Alfonso Hotel was the best hotel experience we ever had.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Balloon11
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Splendid ambience, great care for details, intelligence of the staff , sheer beauty of the building and rooms. Our warmest compliments to the Hotel Manager, Carlo Suffredini, who is able to run this marvellous structure in a really immaculate way and with the warmth and style which such a place deserves. The Hotel where it is Always a pleasure and a privilege to come back again and again. And in the veryheart of one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The Alfonso is one of a handful of the most beautiful buildings in Seville. Attractive on the outside and stunning inside. It really is an essential part of a visit to the lovely city of Seville. The hotel's restaurants and bars are very expensive but just outside the hotel grounds are many reasonably priced tapas bars and restaurants - so if like me your budget is limited get a bargain room rate and step outside for food and drink.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LMDBristol
Reviewed 3 December 2013

As a Platinum SPG member, I've stayed at quite a few hotels around the world, but I my stay at this hotel was by far the best experience I've had at any hotel, ever.

The moment I arrived I was greeted and offered sparkling wine, while Laura and Ana at the front desk took phenomenal care of me and upgraded me to probably the most beautiful suite I've ever seen, and then personally escorted me there. My jaw almost dropped when I first walked in the door, the hotel and room were so beautiful! Their genuine smiles complimented their warm personalities, and I've honestly never met any friendlier or more genuine staff; they should be commended.

I ate breakfast in the San Fernando courtyard the next morning, and this too surpassed anything I could have possibly imagined. The food was outstanding, and the table was elegantly set. José took excellent care of us, as did the serving staff that observed unobtrusively in the background and refilled our drinks and cleared our plates as soon as we put our forks down. Again, I've never experienced such attentive service.

I have been telling all my family and friends about this hotel and the wonderful staff working there, and I honestly cannot wait for the chance to return. It truly was the highlight in Sevilla, and also of my two-week vacation in Spain. Thank you for making my vacation!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We are frequent travelers and have visited many parts of the world and stayed at many different hotels, we have however not yet experienced a hotel like the Alfonso. The Mudéjar-style architecture with all decorations, ceramic finials and ornaments is unlike anything that we have ever experienced. It is just very very beautiful. If you add the garden with the swimming pool area, and the swimming pool bar, the restaurant where you can enjoy your breakfast every day surrounded by the most beautiful architecture ever, and the outside bar with fantastic drinks selection then you cannot call it different then heavenly stay.
Hotel is located in the heart of old city Seville. You can easily walk to all historical sites, come back and cool down by the pool and then continue to admire the city of Seville.
Rooms are big and very comfortable, with large bathrooms and closets. Bed was one of the most comfortable beds we have experienced and we loved the feel of the Egyptian cotton sheets.
What could be better is the sound isolation. It was not very well done. We could hear every step and every word our neighbors said. Can't imagine how it would be like with a crying baby next door.
Also the service has not been very efficient. It was taking very long time to get anything delivered to the room; concierge service was not too good either. It was not catering to individual needs of the traveler. They had some printed pages with restaurants that I could find myself on the internet.
In general the location and hotel architecture compensated for all inefficiencies

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family