“Afternoon Tea - very disappointing!”

Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Seville
London, England, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea - very disappointing!”
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We were looking forward to having afternoon tea at the hotel; sitting in the hotel's alfresco courtyard setting. However, from the outset we encountered a constant change of staff that resulted in the wrong orders being taken and they got the orders wrong on three separate occasions! There were only four of us and two of us ordered afternoon tea, so it really shouldn't' have been as problematic as it was. When the afternoon tea service finally arrived it was very disappointing. The bread was stale, the cakes were dry and it felt as though nothing had been freshly prepared. We were then presented with the bill (that contained a number of incorrect items and had to be amended) and then discovered that we had paid 40 cents short and they had the audacity to ask for it even though they knew what a disaster the entire experience had been for us.

I cannot comment on the hotel itself as I did not stay there but as for the restaurant including the service, the quality of the food and the overall dining experience, I won't be in a rush to go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jen B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 December 2013

On my recent trip to Spain, I stayed at four 5-star hotels (Alfonso XIII Hotel in Seville, AC Palacio Santa Paula in Granada, Hotel Arts in Barcelona).
First of all, the Alfonso XIII is an architectural gem and a landmark in itself. For this reason alone, I would definitely recommend staying here. For us, it was the only hotel that offered a traditionally Spanish ambience and we valued the experience all the more for that reason.
The location could not be any better.
The courtyard in the center of the hotel was full of bright light, our rooms were spacious and well appointed. The pool was a bit crowded in early July when we stayed there but nevertheless nice.
The front desk staff were very helpful. The service in the courtyard breakfast areas were at times a bit slow but the food was good.
My tween daughter who likes to hang out and read in the common areas of hotels reported that unlike the Westin Madrid where the staff would smile at her amicably and pass by, she felt the staff at Alfonso XIII hovered about her and surveyed her every movement suspiciously. Interestingly her grandmother agreed with this sentiment. She felt she was followed too, and wished the staff resources would be used instead to speed up the breakfast service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Aquavanguard
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The Alfonso is a magnificent hotel in a great area of Seville. The Luxury Division of Starwood has done a wonderful job restoring this Hotel to its glory. Unfortunately, the beauty of this hotel is only exceeded by some of the worst service, especially in the F&B Department, the only exception being the Housekeeping Department. It is definitely a hotel in Seville we will not stay again on our visit next year.
Pbchman

1 Thank pploss
Zagreb, Croatia
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Our last stop was Seville and great Alfonso XIII.
We were very excited, not only for arriving to Seville but to experience one of the city's landmarks.
Hotel location is just perfect, strait at the city center, on very beautiful location, surrounded with palm trees, banana trees... The outside look is simply spectacular. We would be very sad if we have booked somewhere else. I am glad we chose this hotel.
The architecture is just perfect. Every detail is carefully chosen, from the doorstep to the roof top. The lobby, beautiful courtyard and San Fernando restaurant where we had pleasure to eat perfect breakfast every day, was just stunning!
We have booked Grand Deluxe room and we were accommodated on 3rd floor with nice pool view.
The room was very specious and perfect in every single way.
Again, I took the opportunity to take a look around the hotel with the hotel staff and, honestly, it doesn't matter which kind of room you choose... every room is beautiful and spotless. Deluxe rooms are smaller in size from the Grand Deluxe and the bathroom is smaller too, so if you prefer space and more comfort, go for the Grand Deluxe room.
Housekeeping is simply perfect, kind and very efficient. Restaurant staff is above professional and made our stay really gorgeous! Special thanks to all restaurant staff for making our mornings very pleasant and relaxing.
Unfortunately, I cannot say all that for the reception staff. They should learn a lot more from their colleagues from hotel's restaurant.
In all my reviews, every time, I write a lot about hotel staff and I have to say that hotels are not only about building experience but people at the first place. I also work in a travel industry, that's why I took this opportunity to write few words about it.
In order to achieve 5*impression, besides perfect architecture and design, the most important is that our first hosts, which reception staff is, create a welcoming feeling, along with the feeling that they take care about every guest at the hotel.
The other thing I would like to mention is lack of free wi fi in rooms. For 21st century standards (doesn't matter which category hotel is) and today's life style, free wi fi is, simply, a must.
All in all, and not to get me wrong with these two last observations, this was really nice experience and we were very happy to have opportunity staying with You!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank zeljkadurovic
Reviewed 11 December 2013

We stayed here on the last leg of our trip around Spain and it was an amazing experience. Service is outstanding and they have the most comfortable bed we have ever slept on. Concierge at the front desk are top notch and can take care of anything you need from securing reservations to simple directions.

Hotel is beautifully decorated throughout and looks like another visitor's attraction in itself. It's in a great location with most sites the city is known for within walking distance.

1 Thank Jacobasc
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We never wanted to leave this hotel. Our room was spectacular with a sitting area and two bathrooms. The bed was incredibly comfortable. The bathrooms were large and clean. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. We had breakfast each morning and it was delicious. We had dinner at the hotel one evening and it was amazing - service was fabulous. The only thing I do not like is having dinner and breakfast in the same room (after 5 days of breakfasts I would have liked a different area for dinner) but that is very common in many hotels. We would definitely stay here if we visit Seville again and recommend it to friends.

1 Thank ManhattanTraveler28
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I left the Hotel Alfonso XIII after a 7-night stay just over a week ago, and I'm still having withdrawal symptoms, pining for this magnificent hotel. It is easily the best hotel experience I've ever had and it absolutely made our time in Seville. We were genuinely sad to leave it, as opposed to just wishing our vacation was lasting a little longer...

The hotel itself is, physically, magnificent. It's obvious from the decor that the Hotel Alfonso doesn't just aim for luxury: it aims to exceed it. Palatial is a better description for the level of comfort at the Alfonso. Everything -- from the fixtures and fittings in our guest room to the tableware during lunch to the chairs in the business centre -- has been carefully chosen, is perfectly maintained and works to create a dream of a hotel experience. It also occupies an ideal location with all the main tourist sites only a few minutes' walk away, the tram passing right outside and lovely little area of coffee shops and tapas bars on its doorstep.

Where the Alfonso really excelled for me -- where it left all other hotels I've stayed in behind -- was the staff and the service they delivered. They were truly exceptional, especially the staff in the American Bar (the Moscow Mule is now my new favourite drink!) and at the breakfast/lunch/dinner restaurant. As smokers were frequently nipped out to the idyllic courtyard at the heart of the hotel, and not once did we do so without a member of staff immediately appearing to inquire if there was anything we needed.

For a five star hotel of this calibre, the prices weren't too eye-watering either. The room service menu was very reasonable, and the breakfast buffet -- a fabulous spread every morning -- was €19 per person, I believe.

Absolutely top notch service, in an amazing environment. I cannot fault this hotel. I just hope I get the opportunity to return to the hotel in the summer months so I can spend warm summer evenings working my way through the cocktail menu (again!) in the courtyard...

Tip: one evening we were lucky to receive a tapas bar recommendation from another guest who was staying at the hotel but was from Seville: the Casa Blanca tapas bar, only about a 2 minute walk from the hotel. We ended up there three times, and we would've gone more often if we'd stayed longer. Just fantastic. Stand at the bar and have the croquettes!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends