“Beauty and elegance, but with a bumpy start...”

Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Seville
London, United Kingdom
“Beauty and elegance, but with a bumpy start...”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The Alfonso is a beautiful and historic hotel set in Seville, surely one of the most beautiful cities in the world; the property exudes beauty, elegance, history and charm. Unfortunately, at the outset, service standards were not what they should have been. I had a long list of grievances, ranging from mistakes on food orders, to broken items in the room to inaccurate information from the concierges regarding activities in Seville. But I wanted this hotel to be better; I wanted to return in the future, and feel able to recommend it to others. During our stay, I wrote to the General Manager, Mr Carlo Suffredini, to make him aware of my concerns. To his credit, within an hour of receipt of my letter, Mr Suffredini began to implement a raft of service improvements, which made all the difference. Standards are now in and around those which one would expect, and will hopefully continue to rise as refinements are made going forward. My only regret is that I spent a good part of my visit acting in the capacity of a hotel consultant, rather than a guest. However... will I return to Seville? Without doubt. It is an outstandingly beautiful city with so much to offer, both historically and culturally. Will I return to the Alfonso? Again, without doubt. It is a magnificent hotel which everyone should experience at some point in their lives. My aspiration is that when I next return, I will be met with levels of service which match the outstanding beauty of this property. On this front, I place my faith in Mr Suffredini.

Room Tip: Castillian rooms are the most spacious at Grand Deluxe category.
2 Thank Julian M
AlfonsoXIII_Seville, Director General at Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Julian M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience at Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel.
It was a pleasure meeting you and discussing your concerns and I really appreciate your feedback and the valuable advise you shared with me.
I hope you will come back soon and if you do, please drop me an email to welcome you personally.

Carlo Suffredini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed at the Alfonso XIII for three nights and have to say it is one of the best hotel experiences we have had. We adored its Spanish architecture and found it very well situated within Seville. From the moment we arrived we were looked after to the highest possible standard in every way. All the staff are extremely helpful, courteous and speak excellent English.Our room was first class with a large terrace which had a wonderful view of the Cathedral. The terrace proves absolutely ideal for memorable private breakfasts or evening glasses of Champagne. It is a luxury hotel rich in atmosphere and ambience. We didn't want to leave and have vowed to go back and stay longer next time.

Room Tip: Some tram noise at the front of hotel, but of little disturbance.
1 Thank John L
AlfonsoXIII_Seville, Marketing Coordiator at Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear John L,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
We are glad you enjoyed your experience at Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel and hope you will be able to stay longer next time you visit us.

The whole team work hard to deliver quality service so whenever we receive positive feedback like yours, it makes us feel very proud. Will definitely share your kind words with them.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed in this hotel for four nights as part of our Honeymoon. It is like stepping back in time, and a once in a lifetime experience. I did not know where I was staying in Seville as husband had booked it as a surprise. I was blown away from the moment we arrived. The decor is just amazing, nearly like living in a museum. Supplied with champagne too on arrival! Staff very friendly and it is the perfect location in Seville as not far away from the attractions. Room was gorgeous, very comfortable bed, with massive pillows. Breakfast room is just gorgeous with all the chandeliers and great choice of food. Would highly recommend this hotel for location, staff, decor and food. Will definitely return to Seville and this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MNeary2014
AlfonsoXIII_Seville, Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Dear MNeary2014,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We are very happy that you stayed at Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel, for such a special occasion.
We would like to thank you for sharing these nice comments about the hotel´s location, staff, décor and food.
Best wishes and we hope to see you soon.

Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My wife, daughter and I recently spent 3 nights at the Alfonso XIII and it's one of the best places we've ever stayed. The location in the historic heart of Seville is perfect (short walks to all the sites and views in all directions) but the hotel still manages to feel like you're in a calm, somewhat exotic oasis. The public areas are truly grand: Moorish design with sumptuous tiles, rich mahogany wood furniture, traditional oil paintings of 17th century scenes, a grand marble staircase, over stuffed leather chairs and aromatic fresh flowers. Each evening we enjoyed a late night espresso on the main floor while listening to the hotel's pianist play classic arrangements and people watching.

Splurge and do the hotel's buffet breakfast. The experience alone -- sitting in the open air but still shaded inner courtyard attended by white jacketed wait staff and with views of the hotel on all sides is wonderful. The food is just as good: fresh breads, local jams, fresh fruits and especially the dates and figs and oranges, sausages, freshly squeezed juices, omelets made to order and so much more.

Our deluxe room on the top floor was posh, spacious, and appropriately grand with spectacular views to Seville's world famous cathedral.

We spent an afternoon by the hotel's pool and it was a welcome respite from touring: quiet behind the hotel's walls with plenty of greenery and lounge chairs. The pool staff were on top of everything.

As just about always at Starwood properties the front desk staff were on top of everything. the concierge recommended two excellent local restaurants and procured great tables on short notice even though it was Holy Week and the city was packed.

After a decade's absence from this hotel we were so glad to be back and it's better than ever!

Room Tip: Room 303 -- a deluxe is better even than most of the suites we've stayed in at the Alfonzo over...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Tim P
Dear Tim P,

Thank you for sharing on Tripadvisor this beautiful opinion of yours… It almost seems like a traveling magazine article!
We are delighted to know you enjoyed your experience at Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel, even more than last time you stayed with us.
We have many exciting projects coming soon so maybe next time you visit us you will even enjoy it better.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Sinus Iridium
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We wanted to celebrate special wedding anniversary in Seville and the dilema was, should we stay in a reasonably upmarket hotel, or an extremely posh one where movie stars stay at? Comparing differences when flights are included, for a 4 night break, is not that much extra so we stayed at Alfonso XIII. We made special request through Expedia for a room with a good view. Despite selecting cheapest option, we got a top floor room with private balcony with wonderful view of Cathedral. Room decor was amazing, service superb, on arrival we got the porter to get dribbles on the bathroom floor cleaned up, - instantly sorted. Champagne and chocolates arrived shortly afterwards. Staff attentive and not at all snooty. Hotel architecture lives up to reputation on every floor. Al fresco breakfast was amazing -huge variety - English people will have to accept Europeans rarely manage "full English cooked breakfast" successfully - boiled mushrooms, reconstituted scrambled egg, greasy bacon, frankfurters - though this doesn't warrant rating reduction because we are not in England. But once it was cold, which is not good. Pool and setting delightful with recliners, towels and drinks on demand. Dinner a little expensive, but quality to match - superb steak. Romantic environment. Fantastic location. All in all - superb, but so it should be at this price. Would stay again for a special occasion.

Room Tip: Make special request - eg top floor with balcony.
1 Thank EgoRonny
Dear EgoRonny,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us.
We are delighted to receive your positive feedback and to know you enjoyed your wedding anniversary with us. Thank you for sharing your kind words about the hotel architecture and the service you were delivered with.
I will share your comments about the English breakfast features with the Food and Beverage department so this doesn´t happen again.

We hope to welcome you back soon at Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I had such a wonderful stay in the breathtaking palace/hotel. The service is definitely a 5-star one, the reception staff are friendly, the concierge is willing to help you any time you wish, the room service is always at your service, the room was clean, spacious, tidy and extremely comfortable. The location is in the city center close to all monuments. Even when we were checking out and being helped with the luggage, one of the porters gave me 2 bottles of water for the road.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sara A
AlfonsoXIII_Seville, Marketing Coordinator at Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear Sara A,

Thank you for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor.
We´re delighted to hear you enjoyed your experience at Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel.
Your kind words are very valuable for us. I will share your comments with the rest of the team, who I hope will enjoy as much as I have.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My husband and I have recently returned from 6 nights at the Alfonso Xiii Hotel in Seville. We had such a lovely time both in the hotel and in the city. As it was my 50th birthday celebrations, my husband asked whether we could have a room on a high floor with a balcony. The room we were given was lovely, on the third floor with a HUGE terrace. (It was a corner room so the terrace wrapped round). We thoroughly enjoyed the terrace in the late afternoons/early evenings and the views of the cathedral and gardens. We really appreciated the gesture by the hotel. NB - not many of the rooms do have balconies. The rooms overlooking the hotel's couryard do not have a balcony.
Breakfasts were lovely with such a large choice of breads, cakes, cereals, fruits, cooked foods, cold meats and cheeses etc. We also went to the cocktail bar twice which we thoroughly enjoyed - the 2 cocktails I had were lovely! There is such a large choice too so it was quite fun deciding!.
The gardens were nice but the pool was absolutel;y FREEZING!!!!!!! (I did one length and just had to get out as I thought I would freeze!!!). It's a shame that the pool isn't heated but I suppose this will be down to the cost?
The hotel is very well situated, right in the centre of the city and so close to everything.
Finally, the staff at the hotel are just lovely and very friendly. I would definitely recommend the hotel and would love to come again.

Room Tip: A room on the third will give you good views of the city. The hotel is very close to the cathedral...
2 Thank Judith186534
Dear Judith186534,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
It´s lovely to hear you enjoyed celebrating your 50th birthday with us at Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel.
Thank you for sharing your kind words about the hotel and especially the room you were granted with. There are only a few rooms with large terraces, so we are very happy to hear you enjoyed it!
We hope you returned home with many great memories to share and hopefully we will see you again soon.

Kind regards,