“Avoid Alfonso xiii”

Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Seville
“Avoid Alfonso xiii”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This place is so bad I'm just going to give you a list of reasons to avoid it:

1. The food isn't good
2. It has an unclean dealing
3. They had a "problem" with their system and the fire alarm went off and scared the crap out of us
4. There tv doesn't get half the channels
5. The pool is small dirty and cheesy

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Dmarcus8675
AlfonsoXIII_Seville, General Manager at Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Dmarcus8675,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I am sorry to read that you had an unpleasant experience during your last stay at the Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel. If you would like to discuss your stay with me personally please send an email to carlo.suffredini@luxurycollection.com so I may address it with you directlly. Thank you
Carlo Suffredini, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
spain
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Had a 3 day break here and we loved every minute. The hotel is elegant luxury, calm, quiet and professional. The concierge have all the info you need, the city is magical. My favourite in the whole world.
The bus tour is good. Tapas bars endless so take your pick. Triana worth a trip. The cathedral is the most beautiful in Spain. There is SO much history and so much to see you won't be bored and will have to return, it's that kind if city - it's gets you!

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Penarubia,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review in Tripadvisor.com. I am happy to read that you had a lovely stay at the hotel Alfonso XIII a Luxury Collection hotel.
I would be looking to welcome back in the near future
Sincerely
Carlo Suffredini
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2014

For starters, the "wow" factor of this hotel is high. It's a breathtaking building with many beautiful details. It's a perfect setting from which to venture out and take in the many wonderful sights of this amazing city. Our room, upon first viewing, was also very nice. The location of the hotel itself is also central to many attractions (e.g. the cathedral, "old town", the park, etc.). For these reasons, I've rounded up my desired rating of 3.5 stars to 4 stars.

So, what's not to like? Let me tell you:

For one thing, our shower (in a grand deluxe room) was coated with black mold (see photos). It was literally flaking off the walls as I showered after check-in. I quickly brought this to the hotel's attention and was told it would be addressed immediately. Let's just say it never actually was addressed and, if it was, whoever addressed it needs a lesson or several in cleaning. The mold continued to flake from the walls each and every time I showered. The shower also has very limited water pressure, albeit this wasn't particularly surprising given the age of the building. Also, "Where the heck are the qtips/cotton ear swabs??" This particular toiletry is a staple in the U.S. and it didn't exist at this luxury hotel (or several others we stayed in while vacationing in this country). SO...if you want them? Bring them, because they are more often than not absent. We also had to call because we were not provided with enough toiletries in general. Granted, our stay here was relatively short (2 nights), but we were only provided with one pack of three cotton pads and one bottle of lotion in that same period. Needless to say we had to request more when these basic toiletries should have been made readily available.

This brings me to what I'd term poor communication: We needed to make a good few requests during our stay (for more pillows, for cotton swabs, for cotton pads, for lotion, for instructions on how to open the outer shutters that covered our windows, for reservations, for electricity converters, etc) and were most often met with lacking comprehension. We were placed on hold several times (for 5-10 minutes and more at a time) while someone that understood English could be located or freed up. This should not have been the case given that this property is a Starwood luxury hotel in a major city. Quite a few of our requests could and should have been addressed when we checked in--especially those that involved how things worked in our provided room. If a few simple questions and instructions were incorporated into the check-in process, we would have saved both time and frustration.

That brings me to the pool. Yes, it's beautiful on the website, but our experience of it was anything but. It's a veritable soup-bowl of bodies. Literally. People were jammed onto sunbeds like sardines and the pool was teeming with people. All in all there seems to be little oversight in this area, which is short-sighted given how small the pool area and pool itself is relative to the hotel. It would be simple to set time limits, create a reservation system, or something similar to provide crowd control and to ensure the majority of guests--instead of the minority of them--have comfortable access to the pool. Fortunately, we weren't really aiming for a day of leisure by the pool as we'd just come from the coast, but we would have liked to have a space to relax by the pool as we cooled off one early evening. What we were relegated to was finding our own towels, laying our clothes on an empty bench (the only empty space in the pool area), and taking a quick dip in and out. Some may simply chalk this pool-related commentary up to bad timing, but I had a sidelong view of the pool from our room and it was always overcrowded the weekend we stayed. Simply put, if I have to stay here during the week to enjoy a much-touted amenity, the property is not being appropriately managed.

On the subject of timing, the breakfast buffet was good, but also a bit of a fiasco. More than anything, I felt like I was at a local market jostling for position. The tables that are positioned in front of the main buffet area should be removed. There were also a good few "out of control" kids about: one of which grabbed for a glass I was filling, another that bounced off my leg and fell backwards, etc. I get that this isn't the hotels domain so much as the parents, but it was disruptive enough to be noteworthy (and thus to diminish our experience). One morning I placed an order for two omelettes (both of which were exactly the same), only to return after 15ish minutes to find that the "chef" had forgotten our order. She also obviously forgot me as well because I lingered close by several times before I inquired as to the status of our eggs.

I can't say that we didn't enjoy our overall stay. We did. A good part of that was attributable to the city versus this hotel specifically, though. There were certain moments and certain individuals who were highlights of our stay. We enjoyed a dinner in the courtyard, which was lovely (both the dinner and the courtyard). I was surprised by a bottle of cava and a sizeable slice of cake on my birthday! One of the managers, in particular, was very kind and attentive and he upped our hotel-specific enjoyment. He was there when we checked in, he inquired about the birthday surprise, and he was there when we checked out.

BOTTOM LINE: This is an great hotel, but it has a way to go before it truly can be billed as a five-star property. I don't know that we'd stay here again given the challenges we faced, but this hotel is definitely worth a visit regardless.

Room Tip: There are two switches, close to the bed, that operate the outside shutters on the windows...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Randy S
Dear Randy S,

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to post your comments. I am sorry to read that you experienced some issues. As a management team, we take all comments seriously and share them with our staff, so we may be able to resolve them. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. Look forward to welcome back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We visited this wonderful hotel from Portugal for a few nights. We had booked an apartment in Portugal for a fortnight and weren't having fun, so we came here for 3/4 days. It made the holiday for us.

The weather was vet hot, but the pool and service around it was super.

Wonderful rooms, in a formal grand old building.

Great breakfasts in a open but shaded from the sun area in the middle of the hotel.

My wife and 5 and 8 year old thoroughly enjoyed it. We would highly recommend.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear MarkHippo
Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Seville.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Oh my what a wonderful hotel. Elegant, grand yet friendly & welcoming. Good food in the indoor/outdoor restaurant. Lovely staff. Nice room (once upgraded from little one). Smallish swimming pool a bit crowded at times. Central location. Fantastic cocktail bar (La Ena). Can't wait to go again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gary F
Dear Gary F,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review in Tripadvisor and also I am very delighted to read that you had a lovely stay and enjoyed the time . Look forward to welcome back to the Alfonso XIII.

Sincerely
Carlo Suffredini
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I've been lucky enough to stay in quite a few nice hotels around the world, but this Hotel is the best I've stayed in. My family and I had an absolutely fantastic stay at the very grand and luxurious Alfonso XIII. We had originally booked a deluxe suite as there were 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children) and on arrival we were upgraded to an executive suite with 2 entrance doors, which was basically 2 large suites joined together. The rooms were huge and simply perfect and our 2 children absolutely loved having all the space and their very own bathroom. They even had a piano in the room! The beds were so comfy and I'm usually one of those who finds sleeping in hotels quite difficult, but I had no worries here.

The staff at the hotel made everything feel so easy and straight forward and the attention to detail was marvellous.

The time we spent at the Alfonso XIII was one we as a family will never forget and we will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to the executive suite no 238... a truly magnificent room!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Scott R
Dear Scott R,

I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us at the Hotel Alfonso XIII, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It was nice to read that our staff exceeded your expectations. They work exceptionally hard to ensure every guest feel special. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We knew that the hotel was recently renovated so we were looking forward to another five star experience. As soon as we entered the lobby you can sense the history that was surrounding you . We were escorted to our room and it was beautifully done as expected with a wonderful view of the park.
Issues we faced were as follows. Breakfast was included with our stay and we were dissatisfied with the service. The buffet was not always full, missing key items that should have been replaced timely. I think their issue was lack of good supervised service. Same thing with the coffee, orange juice etc...always had to ask for refills. We had dinner at the restaurant in their beautiful courtyard. Excellent service but the food was dissapointing for a five star hotel.
The pool area was a necessity..during the day temperatures reached well over 100 degrees and walking around Seville was difficult and we live in South Florida..My issues with the pool area was the lack of supervision of the lounges. Guests would come early reserve two chairs and hold them for most of the day,.. not right by management to allow this...We had this issue almost daily especially one with a umbrella. Another issue that the hotel was missing was a full gym. All they offered were a couple of machines and very little else..not exactly five star quality. In the end this was the worst choice of the four hotels we visited..Never go to Seville in July way too hot, but a beautiful city

Room Tip: we really liked the view of the park. There were view of the courtyard that also had to be nice. S...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank steven0423
Dear Steven0423,
Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. I am sorry to read that you had some issues with the Buffet Breakfast as well the Pool Area. I will discuss them with our management team and make sure to be addressed correctly.
Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service. If you would like to discuss your experience with me personally please send an email to Carlo.suffredini@luxurycollection.com so I may address it with you directly.