“Great Location and Great Hotel”

Las Casas de la Juderia
Ranked #32 of 176 Hotels in Seville
Seattle, Washington
“Great Location and Great Hotel”
Reviewed 19 January 2010

This was one of the most unique places we have ever stayed at. The system of underground tunnels and courtyards made it fun to come back to the hotel after a day of touring. The hotel is located in the heart of Seville and five minute walk from all the main attractions (if you can find your way through the narrow streets). The room itself was spacious, although the TV did not work nor did the air conditioning, but we did not find ourselves needing either. Overall, I would say that this hotel was a great complement and enhanced our experience of Seville and Andalusia.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
DC
Reviewed 10 January 2010

The contiguous-building, courtyard-laced environment you can read about in the other reviews is very charming, even striking. Like others we had a rainy December 2009 visit but still found the format very pleasant, with flowering vines draped over colorful tile walls, etc. The front desk and bell staff were helpful, in particular when we left some items behind and had to arrange to have them shipped to our next destination. The rooms were more spacious than some European hotels, with nice white-tiled bathrooms and everything very clean, but the sleeping/living areas of the rooms were WAY underlit - each one could have used at least two more lamps and quite a bit more wattage. The sheets and pillows were of good quality but the beds themselves were somewhat saggy and creaky. The buffet breakfast was expensive (18 euros/person) but very extensive and of excellent quality. The buffet included mineral water, juice, coffee, hot chocolate, cheese, cold cuts, various rolls and breads, tortilla espanola, fresh fruit including some more exotic things like kiwi and persimmon, cereal plus dried fruit, croissants, hot food in chafing dishes like scrambled eggs, and some desserts, including flan. Included in the buffet price you can also order three or four from-the-kitchen dishes, including pancakes with berries and whipped cream. I would have been happy to sit with my pot of coffee, pot of chocolate caliente, and pot of heated milk, experimenting with different proportions all morning. The dining room is on the underground level, with 60s-era sparkly mirrors paneling the walls to make it look more open. This is the most garish and least tasteful part of the hotel, but most people are focused on the food at that point. The other strength of the hotel is the lovely, relaxing piano bar - you can sit in comfy chairs and couches in a beautifully decorated lobby area while a pianist plays each evening and waiters take your orders for drinks or snacks. The environment there is somehow significantly more cozy, relaxing, intimate, and personal than similar features at other hotels around the world. There are also two computers with internet access (in high demand), and a number of other ornately decorated lounges that do not have wait staff service.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jujusticks
Espargal
Reviewed 2 January 2010

This is a difficult hotel to rate as it is so unusual (see other reviews) I am sure it is very pretty and quaint in good weather. We stayed for 3 days over the Christmas period and we had a lot of rain, I realise this is not the hotel's fault, but the lay out of the hotel does not lend itself to wet weather. We could either reach the restaurant and reception through linked open patios or through an underground tunnel, which had to be paddled through in parts. I did not like eating in an underground restaurant. Our room, although nice, was very dark and the lights had to be on at all times. The bathroom was very spacious but a few minor repairs were needed which I would have expected a 4 star hotel to do before letting the room as the hotel was not full. The breakfast buffet was excellent but it cannot cope with large numbers and on our last day we had to go to the A La Carte restaurant upstairs but this had a very limited buffet and there were no bread rolls and the hot food had to be ordered, to say the least it was a little chaotic. The reception staff were excellent, very helpful and friendly and spoke good English. It is in a very good location for seeing the sights of Seville and there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area where you could eat at a reasonable price. I would not use this hotel again but I am glad that we did as we often go to Seville and I have always wanted to stay there after reading the reviews. It is a most unusual hotel and worth a visit for the experience. We got an excellent price through Tripadvisor otherwise I would have been very disappointed if we had paid full price. Personally I think this is a 3 star hotel but very quaint.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sprite10
Philadelphia PA
Reviewed 18 December 2009

This was our first trip to Seville and it was wonderful. This hotel added so much to the experience, as it is a maze of 11 scenic buildings, gardens, and courtyards, all connected, with a piano bar in the common area. The basement is finished like an ancient Roman villa, and is a sight in itself. The staff was very helpful. Some of the rooms are brighter and have nicer views than others, and they saw to it that we were accommodated to our satisfaction. Both rooms we stayed in were comfortable and enjoyable.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank VeazieMDI
London UK
Reviewed 11 December 2009

Well located, not too far from the old town centre, this hotel is one that you’ll either like or dislike. I don’t think many would be neutral about it. My wife and I liked it very much. It comprises a number of houses in an enclosed area, linked by atmospheric courtyards. It’s a little like entering a separate world, where the sound of the traffic and bustle of the street outside is displaced by calm, and the sound of running water from the many fountains and water features that one finds en route from one place to the other.

The hotel rooms are all in several converted houses in the complex, and from the one we stayed in (a superior room), they appear to be very well appointed. There are lifts in the buildings, so people with heavy luggage or an inability to manage stairs won’t have a problem. On arrival you’ll find a very unpretentious reception area staffed by very helpful and courteous staff. After registration you will be invited to go through a door beside the reception desk, through a terracotta-floored area to a pretty tranquil courtyard, and from there along cobbled alleys to your ‘house’ where your room is. The first time through I wondered whether I should have brought a ball of string, or at least a bag of breadcrumbs so that I could find my way back. In fact there was no need to worry and even I, who has the memory of a goldfish, had no problem navigating around because the courtyards are all set out differently with tasteful landmarks to help you remember where to turn. “Along the alley with the water trough and the lion’s head water spout, left at the two amphorae, right at the alley with the fallen Roman columns” … and so on.

Our room was clean, large and comfortable, air-conditioned, with a safe in the cupboard. A lounge/seating area connected the bedroom to the bathroom, which had a Jacuzzi bath and a separate shower room and a separate toilet/bidet. There were also two wash basins.These facilities were a real pleasure, and my only complaint was that the water temperature was not really high enough. Not tepid, exactly, and one could have a comfortable bath, but I like my water hot and this wasn’t. It certainly wasn’t hot enough for a proper shave. There were a large number of power points in the room, which I particularly appreciated because my various high-tech toys need recharging most evenings (Blackberry, GPS, PDA, camera battery, wife’s PDA, her camera battery … sometimes I yearn for the days of the box Brownie).

Downstairs, next door to the reception is a large and comfortable lounge, decorated in the Moorish style, with columns and tiled walls and a large number of comfortable sofas and armchairs. There are also two laptop computers for the guests’ use at no charge, for surfing the Web, checking eMail and checking in to airlines on line. This was very much appreciated, however the security restriction they had imposed on these machines meant that a photo attachment to an eMail couldn’t be opened, so my wife had to go to an Internet café in order to view a mail she had been sent from work. No big deal though, but a bit curious.

Next to the lounge is a small bar, overseen by a delightful young lady, and between 6 and 7 in the evening is Happy Hour. A pianist plays a grand piano (and very well, not that awful arpeggio-laden rubbish you get in American hotels) and drinks are half-price, with the second one free of charge! As you can imagine, we made our pre-prandial tipple a regular feature at this particular location.

Breakfasts were sumptuous, served in a huge cellar area under the hotel complex. The food was plentiful, varied and very good indeed.

Downsides? There are always some. We ate one night in the restaurant and were not really impressed with the quality of the food. The staff and the ambience were very pleasant, but we thought that the meal, for what it was, was overpriced.

The other downside for me was the noise at night from inconsiderate guests returning to their rooms. As a tour guide we met said, “Spaniards don’t converse, they shout.” This is particularly true at night and I was awoken several times by unnecessarily loud conversations from groups of people in the alleys and courtyards, where their voices echoed and bounced around the walls. This is a particular problem for me, because I’m a light sleeper, but even my wife, who could have slept through Pearl Harbour, awoke once to this inconsiderate behaviour. But otherwise, the hotel was super, and a real pleasure from all aspects.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DavidGarfield
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 December 2009

The most unique hotel I've stayed in. Casas de la Juderia did not dissapoint. I had read the reviews and was anticipating a great hotel and it exceeded my expectations. This hotel is beautiful and so authentically Sevilla.

The hotel is in a great location—in Barrio Santa Cruz in the heart of old town Sevilla. The hotel, as a collection of old mansions, is large and the journey to my room included a walk through the hotel's underground catacombs. Yes, I did get lost at first, but it was worth it.

My room was spacious and on the third floor overlooking a foliage-filled courtyard. In the morning we opened the windows and could hear birds and smell flowers from the room. The bathroom was large as well with a bathtub and bidet, among other things.

The service was great. We got to know the people at the front desk and they were always helpful and friendly. The staff was very accommodating and graciously tended to any requests we made.

It's not a super luxury hotel, but that is part of what makes it so unique. That being said, we had no trouble relaxing and couldn't have been more comfortable.

Like everyone has said, the breakfast is great (not to be missed). Also, the solarium on the roof is also incredibly picturesque.

This a great hotel; I would recommend it to everyone coming to Sevilla.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank barcatravelerr
Reading England
Reviewed 5 December 2009

We stayed for 5 nights at the end of November and loved this hotel. The location is amazing with so many Tapas bars close by, we were spoilt for choice. The weather got up to 25' during the day with no rain. As previous reviews have also mentioned the first room we were allocated was so small, dark and was over the electricity generator so after one nights disturbed sleep we asked to move and got given a beautiful room with a massive jacuzzi bath. We spent a morning in the water spa in the basement of the hotel (2 for the price of one in the mornings) and had the entire place to ourselves at one point. Seville is a great city with lots to see, good shopping with great food and wine, just remember your walking shoes as the cobbles kill!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple