“A reasonable hotel despite our bad experience on arrival”

NH Sevilla Plaza de Armas
Ranked #35 of 176 Hotels in Seville
Kendal, United Kingdom
“A reasonable hotel despite our bad experience on arrival”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I had booking ahead for a four night tourist visit to Seville. The location is good for the bus station but in the hot June sun the centre of Seville feels like a very long 20 minute walk away. The hotel did appear very clean and modern and provided a rooftop pool with good views of the city.

Unfortunately our arrival was a disaster, we could not find the hotel in the dark after catching a late bus from the airport. The hotel is located at the back end of the square behind what appears to be an old railway building. After wandering about for an hour on the wrong side of the sqare we eventually found the place and on arrival nothing was explained of the facilities, we were just directed to a room which was not the double we had booked and which stank of cigarettes. We went back to reception and we were sent to another room which we were unable to open. We went back to reception and they reissued our key card, but we could still not gain entry. We went back to reception and the staff came up to the room but they were unable to gain entry either. While trying to sort this out and walking back and forth to reception none of the staff offered us any assistance with our luggage. After pointing out to the staff the intolerable delay we were suffering we were shown to another room which they managed to open. We were hungry after a day of travelling and the last thing we needed was this inconvenience which lost us another hour. I complained about the poor service and the next day, after I reminded reception of our experience we were provided with a letter of apology, a complementary plate of fruit and a bottle of cheap bubbly wine. I now suspect that the manager was off duty when we arrived and the staff who dealt with us were naive.

The rest of our stay was OK, the continental breakfast spread was good and there was a small refreshing pool and bar on the roof top which offered good views. Our room was ok, the bed was comfortable and the en suit good. The difficulty we had with the hotel was that it felt soulless and was located in the suburbs on a barren graffiti strewn concrete square. Once we overcame the disappointing arrival and settled in we felt the hotel offered reasonable value. As tourists we would not choose to stay here again just because we would prefer a homely hotel in a more central location.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MaffUK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pura, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The room was average, but the bathroom was terrible! small, uncomfortable, worn down (the shower glass door was leaking), the sliding loo door very hard to close, the shelf over the sink sloping down, so that objects were falling all the time).
Internet very slow.
Quite far from the center, even though there is a public bus nearby - on the other hand, very quiet room.
Shopping center 20 meters away, very handy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donata G
Reggio Emilia, Italy
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I spent a couple of nights at the NH Plaza de Armas in May 2014, while in Seville attending a meeting held in the hotel's premises. Certainly a very good experience.

My room, facing on the Plaza, was big, clean and decorated with very good taste. Good noise isolation and an excellent bed gave me great sleep quality. The hotel restaurant serves well above average meals (including breakfast, which in my experience was awesome). The meeting facilities also were excellent.

I can only see two things that could be improved: Internet connection (free but slow, unless you pay a not-so-pleasant 10eur per day for a "premium" option) and the size of the room's safe (inadequate for holding a laptop or anything of comparable size).

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Fabio R
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Lousy wifi made to charge 10 euro per day for "enhanced wifi".
Air conditioning a little slow. Maintenance in general was not fit for the hotel.
The airport shuttle "EA" is just behind the hotel.
Not sure if I take it next time.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Oren2134
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've stayed in this hotel 4 times over the past few years. The hotel is clean, attractive, and comfortable; and it has an outstanding breakfast spread. My only complaint - and it's an issue for me - is the wifi.

A small complaint is that the free wifi doesn't really work in the rooms. That's irksome, but it wouldn't get to write a complaint. The bigger complaint is that the premium wifi also barely works. I've had this experience on both of my last two weeklong visits to this hotel, so I don't think it's a fluke. If you care about having wifi access, you will be unhappy at this hotel, notwithstanding its many fine features.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Joel W
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Getting there by bus from the station was not at all as easy as you are made to believe on the hotel's website. Paying double bus fare because you don't want to walk 400 meters is fair enough, but the option should be given on the website.
On arrival it seemed something was wrong with my reservation, as the receptionist took about 10 minutes in finally giving me the key to the room. I asked if there was a problem because of his worried face, but no he had the reservation right in front of him but continued staring at the screen as if I were on a most wanted list, very unnerving.
The room was fine, as in all NHs I have stayed at, but a bit noisy on Friday night as there was a concert somewhere near the river and kids were hanging out on the square (the ugliest in Seville). So ask for a room on the street side; also because the sun will be beaming on the room all day and when you come in in the early evening it will be like stepping into an oven.
We did not reserve breakfast as I thought there would be plenty of little bars around where I could have a coffee and a sandwich in the morning for €3 instead of €16 for the buffet, (which looked great, but €16 is a bit much if you only want a coffee and a sandwich). We did have lunch when we arrived which I thought was a bit uninspired, but the gourmet burger we got from roomservice the next night was excellent. Anyway, as it turned out there wasn't really that much happening in the immediate vicinity of the hotel, but then again everything is within a 10 minute walk, so no big deal.
There's a pool on the roof with a lovely terrace with great views, but no one told me about it and I only found out by chance checking the hotel website while using the CRAP wifi.
Although it seemed most staff were in training, we had a nice stay but expected more from NH.

Room Tip: Street side rooms are quieter and don't heat up during the day when your airco is off.