“Possibly the worst hotel I have stayed at”

Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza Sevilla
Ranked #15 of 177 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed during a busy week in July 2014.
I was travelling with my elderly parents and were both assigned rooms on the ground floor. I was assured these rooms were quiet. That was nothing short of a lie.
The two patios that are enveloped by the hotel building are used for outdoor dining for the guests, and most evenings guests would be dining no further than three meters from my hotel room until 1am, it is spain remember. Glass table tops with no linen and clunky metal tables and chairs do not help the noise element either.
I raised my noise concerns to reception at 11pm one evening, however those guests did not leave the patio until way after 12.30am. Lets remember, first and foremost this is a hotel, not a restaurant. There should be a blanket policy that guests must dine in the restaurant after 10pm, not the patio. We changed rooms after 3 nights, new guests were checked into this room and I had to then go and retrive the items from our safe, introducing myself to the guests, no hotel staff assisted me, a little ackward.
The televisions were straight out of he 1990's.
The refrigerators do not keep things cold.
The safe requires a key, never anywhere else in the world have I been given a key to unlock a safe.
The general condition of the hotel rooms show significant wear and tear.
Handrails were loose and unsafe on all the stairwells, which were used more than the lift.
Housekeeping was inconsistent, towels, glasses, amentities replenishinged when it was thought about.
Kids ran around the hotel like it was a kids club from early in the morning til late at night, yelling and screaming, never once asked to slow down or keep the noise down by the hotel staff that I saw.
Light bulbs required replacement in our room.
The bathroom ommitted a terrible smell and one of the basins did not drain.
The airconditioner would keep you awake at night, when guests didn't, it was so noisy.

We are charged a parking fee of EURO20 a day, which I have no issue with if the car is actually parked and not returned with significant panel damage. We chose to pay the parking fee to avoid issues with damage to our hire care. No such luck. It was managed terribly by the hotel General Manager, who I am still waiting to respond to my email regarding the general poor standard of the hotel, aparently that is not something she is at all concerned about either. After we finally established and agreed that her staff did in fact damage our car, for which there was no need for us to be upset, they did make effort to pay the excess. However this is still being resolved with the hotel and Hertz aparently.

My only recommendation is, don't bother staying there, its a waste of time and money. Spend a little extra, stay at the Alma across the road, you won't be disappointed. We did last year, and would do so again, in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Dont stay on the ground floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank hellodi
HospesHotels, Director General at Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza Sevilla, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear customer,

First of all, I would like to thank you for posting your comment, customers feedback is the key for us to keep on improving our product and service standars.

As fully as I respect your personal opinion, I would like to take this chance to clarify some of the points you went through:

We are absolutly sorry you could not enjoy the full hospes experience due to the noise inconvenience, but as soon as you complaint at our front desk we were willing to change your 2 rooms, nevertheless, you only wanted to change oner of the 2 rooms. We acknowledge the other room was good.

Regarding Safe deposit, we do not fully understand your complain since customers have always being satisfied with them and we have never had any complains or problem.

Talking about our TV´S; We have 41 rooms in total in the hotel, 30 rooms have new tv from 2013, they are all Led Full HD y 100Hz.. The other 10 rooms left will be changed within the summer. Moreover, the Tv we have now in these rooms are Sony and very good quality.

The general conditions of the Hotel regarding security are totally under control. We pass safety controls every month or trimester (depending on the matter) and we have all the succefull certificates that confirm it.

Our optional parking has a rate of 21€ per night Vat included , most parts of the hotels and public parkings in the city centre have the same rate. Since you have not paid the parking invoice yet we do not understand what is the problem.

Regarding the damage of you Hertz rental car you already know how involved I was and I am with the situation, we spoke on the phone, I wrote you several e-mails for you to be informed how things are going on. I already sent & spoke with Hertz plenty of times asking them to charge the hotel for the light scratches in the car.

I am deeply sorry if the communication with us has not been satisfactory, but we sincerely tried to help in any way we can within our possibilities.

Yours faithfully,

Cristina Álvarez

Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Hated our room. First impressions were good and the staff were a bonus as helpful and friendly but the room was a real disappointment. Dark, noisy and totally lacking in privacy and any charm.
This is not a four star hotel rather at best 3. The bathroom shower sprayed water everywhere and wet everything (toilet paper as well). Both courtyards are used as outdoor cafe/ dinning areas until late and the noise reverberates throughout the hotel and rooms particularly those downstairs . Promised much and delivered so little.....would not recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms are noisy and particularly those downstairs these are to be totally avoided ....
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lee Z
HospesHotels, Director General at Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza Sevilla, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you in the name of Hospes Hotels for the time that you have spent writing in Trip advisor.

We would also like to send you our sincere apologies for not been able to meet your expectations during your stay at Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza

All your comments will surely help us to improve our product and the level of service.

We would love to have the opportunity in the future to offer you the great experience that you expected from our Hotel in your next visit to Seville.

Yours sincerely,

Cristina Álvarez
Directora

Reviewed 11 July 2014

It is a charming hotel, with a unique and fun configuration for the shower/tub area and a rooftop pool and sauna. I was there for a business trip and my wife whiled away the hours in the hotel rooftop dining/swimming area during the day, and had a great time relaxing in the authentic Andalucian architecture. We were so comfortable in the pillow-top bed that we overslept and missed our pre-paid breakfasts, whereupon the staff allowed us to eat our breakfasts at noon on the patio. I was amazed that one of the staff persons spoke to us in fluent English, and then spoke to another guest in fluent French.

Room Tip: We were right next to the elevator and had no problems sleeping.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank inweinberg
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We stayed in Sevilla for a long weekend and we chose Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza because of a friend recomendation.

We went with high expectations but the reality was even better. A very charming place, in an excelent location (walking distance to the center) and great service from the staff. We will return for sure next time we visit Sevilla.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank José G
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Beautiful hotel. Perfect for couples. Off the beaten track but only a short walk to the cathedral. Rooftop pool tops it off. And the internal courtyard is stunning. Service in general was extremely good. Couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This was a very nice hotel. Quite old but quaint....lovely common areas, such as a very pleasant courtyard where you could have something to eat or drink and two cute sitting rooms.
Our room number 12 was rather small but adequate for a short stay but paid too much through a travel agent for this particular room. Quite a bit of noise from the kitchen below and dark. Needed lights on whenever we were in room. Only a double sized bed. Very tiny bathroom....definitely only room for one person at a time. Still a lovely atmosphere....very well located and lovely staff. Would recommend but do check on what you are getting for your money. Would stay again but did not get value for Australian dollars this particular time.

Room Tip: It would have been cheaper for us to book online I am sure. Check what size you are offered for your...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
HospesHotels, Director General at Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza Sevilla, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your time to share your comments. It let us improve our service everyday more.
As the Hotel is an original building some of their rooms are bigger that others but we are always to our guests disponsal for any room change they require whenever we have availiability .

We are very sorry you didn´t have the opportunity to enjoy the full hospes experience

We keep available to manage you next stay with us in a future.

Best Regards,

Ruth Mazon

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights followed by two nights at their sister hotel in Cordoba which personally we found much better. We had room 43 which we found very dark inside and quite oppressive so lucky we were not in there too much. Apart from this our stay here was really lovely but we much preferred their hotel in Cordoba overall so unfortunately we are having to compare. It's really just the little things that can make such a difference in Cordoba we were given a tour of the hotel which was really helpful and offered a welcome drink on arrival. Our luggage was also immediately whisked away to our room for us. We also stayed in a big bright airy room which was much better. In Seville on arrival it would have been helpful to be told there was a lift after we had carried our luggage up two flights of stairs. Apart from these small things which I did feel I had to mention our stay here was a happy one, the hotel is in a great location, it's very pretty and the rooftop pool is perfect to relax by after sightseeing although I would arrive by 3pm if you would like a lounger as it does get busy late afternoon/early evening.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple