“Very satisfactory stay”

Ranked #49 of 176 Hotels in Seville
London, United Kingdom
“Very satisfactory stay”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My mother and I stayed here for 3 nights in Seville in June ’14. I made the confirmation for a double or twin room for EUR120+ (for 3 nights) via booking.com almost a month beforehand. I had wanted a hotel that was near the main sights, and I read that Hotel Simon is just a few minutes away from the Cathedral as well as Royal Alcazar. It had reasonable reviews on Tripadvisor and the rate was very affordable for a double/twin room, so I decided to stay here.

After having stayed here, it was overall a very satisfactory stay for both my mother and I; hence the 5/5 rating.

In terms of the location of the hotel, I did not managed to find out how to get to Hotel Simon via public transport. Eventually, I took a cab and it was about EUR32 from the airport to the Hotel with a slight traffic jam for a 15-20min journey. I also took a cab from the Hotel back to the airport (around EUR25) The entrance of the Hotel is situated along a rather narrow one-way street called Garcia de Vinuesa, so first-time travellers should have a map ready if you are not taking a cab.

Hotel Simon itself used to be a private mansion in a typical Sevillian manor house before they converted it into a Hotel. They even provided small leaflets with its history available at the front desk. Indeed, the Hotel felt like a small museum with an 18/19th century European furnishings. When you enter into the Hotel, you will first see an open patio with a small fountain in the middle and resting chairs around. There was a nice, quaint ambiance around the Hotel. I really liked the paintings in the Hotel, featuring landscapes, flowers and portraits.

Some reviews had criticised the Hotel for being run-down, falling apart and old. I thought some parts of the Hotel did look “tired” (for instance I did notice some paint cracks in the ceiling of my room) Also, the room was locked using a bolt and a brass (corkscrew) key; very old-fashioned indeed. However, I felt that the Hotel was overall clean, sturdy and very well-maintained. After all, it was a very old mansion that was restored and the owner(s) must have decided to retain the certain rustic charm to it. If you are someone who prefers brand-new and modern accomodation, then this will not be a hotel for you.

In terms of the room that we were upgraded to, it was clean, airy and very spacious; we have no complaints at all. The bathroom was large with basic toiletries and an attached hair-dryer provided.
I had no television nor hot water kettle in my room. Wifi was only available in the public areas and provided free of charge during the time I stayed – just need to get the password from the front desk. Wifi worked very well.

The Hotel is situated amongst streets with restaurants and cafes. So at night, I could hear some night revellers but it wasn’t too noisy for my mother and I. Rather, it was nice to know that if we needed a late-night supper, we could just simply step out for a quick bite.

I did not take breakfast at the Hotel as there are many diners and tapas restaurants within the vicinity.

In terms of sight-seeing, Hotel Simon is very well-situated, being just walking minutes from the Cathedral and Royal Alcazar. It is also near Tram Stop Plaza Neueva if you wish to take the tram elsewhere. (there is also a Loewe boutique located at Plaza Neueva) There is also a Starbucks and a nice confectionary shop at the junction as you turn out right of the lane of the Hotel. If you walk towards north for about 10-15mins, you will reach a shopping street (with brands like Zara, H&M, Mango etc). From the Hotel, my mother and I also walked over to Aire De Sevilla (thermal bath/spa) which took us only 10 mins using a map (the streets here are winding and narrow so it can be easy to get lost!)

In terms of service, it was very good. The lady at the front desk was very kind to upgrade my mother and I to a superior room (room 214) and she was able to show me where to go with a map. My mother usually prefers to take her daily medication with warm water but no hot water kettle was provided in the rooms. Nonetheless, the lady at the front desk was kind to loan us a hot water ketter/cup upon request and without any additional charge nor fuss.

The BEST thing about Hotel Simon in my biased opinion is that there is a Spanish art gallery right opposite of the Hotel entrance. It is called Velazquez. The paintings in the gallery are really lovely and the elderly gentleman in the shop was very patient and polite with my questions. I eventually got a painting for myself as keepsake.

Overall, for the (i) location, (ii) cleanliness and safety, (iii) the good service, (iv) the ambience of the Hotel, and (v) affordable rate, (vi) not to mention the "bonus" of having an art gallery right at my very doorstep, there weren’t really much at Hotel Simon that my mother and I can fault with, hence the 5/5 rating. Should I return to Seville one day (hopefully), I will stay at Hotel Simon again.

Room Tip: If you prefer a quieter room, perhaps you can request to stay on the upper floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank WP K
hotelsimonsevilla, Director de Recepción at Simon Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thanks for your comments about our hotel, your home.
We are glad you had a wonderful stay at Hotel Simon.
We always want to see the satisfied customer and improve our service every day.
We hope you can return soon to Seville and stay with us again.

Regards!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Milsbeek, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Apart from the location, we think this hotel is mediocre. Extremely poor free WIFI at the reception area, bad functioning airco (which was no fun at 37 dgs C), the English of the staff was very poor and the mattrasses were hard. However, we liked the quitness and the atmosphere of the old time.

Room Tip: no suggestions
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin B
hotelsimonsevilla, Director General at Simon Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
We are grateful for your comments about Hotel Simon. We can improve our services every day.

Best Regards
Forest, VA
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Minutes from the Seville Cathedral, it really is in the middle of everywhere you would want to be & all that you would want to see. The building is beautifully decorated with antiques & the lobby is a lovely place to rest after sight seeing. I really didn't notice the noise, but our room was towards the back of the hotel. The rooms are a bit rundown & could use updating, but I felt that the location & character of the hotel more than made up for this.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank eidothea1
hotelsimonsevilla, Director de Recepción at Simon Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thanks a lot for your comment about Hotel Simon.

We try to improve our services thanks to your opinions.

We hope that in other time you can come back soon with us and visiting Seville.

Best Regards!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hotel is awful. I have absolutely no idea how Hotel Simon is rated so highly on tripadvisor! The building itself is falling apart (which is made obvious by the construction). One can wake up before 8AM to lovely construction sounds and/or strange air conditioning noises. The rooms are filthy. The hotel is dilapidated- and (perhaps at some point) Hotel Simon was a nice place, however, now, it more closely resembles a dirty YMCA locker room than a decent hotel. I have been road tripping through Spain with my girlfriend- and we aren't picky people...but this place is uncomfortable and disgusting. There are MANY other hotels in Seville. Stay there. Do yourself a favor. In the name of your vacation stay there. On a last and final note: the staff was (at best) dismissive and (at worst) downright mean and snarky. I repeat- stay elsewhere. Don't trust the loads of (possibly manufactured?) reviews. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Pick another Hotel. I am writing this at 1AM while being kept awake by strange airconditioning noise...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BWilliam392
hotelsimonsevilla, Director de Recepción at Simon Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear,
We are grateful for your comment because we can improve our services.
However, we are sorry about your bad experience with our building.
This building is XVIII century old, and we try to keep its spirit.
We hope that you have had a good experience with Seville, at least.

Regards!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We were hoping for a charming old hotel in the centre of Sevilla but were shocked to see the poor state of the hotel. Wall cracks are not fixed paint is coming of the walls. Furniture was literally falling apart. The rooms look clean on first sight but on the last day we were shocked again to find a dead cockroach in our room. At night the neighborhood is very noisy making the hotel not suitable for light sleepers. Service was friendly but didn't go further than a smile at the counter. For the price they charge we are sure there are many better hotels in Sevilla.

Room Tip: The hotel is charming on first sight but you can also just walk in and have a look around. However...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
hotelsimonsevilla, Director de Recepción at Simon Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Mr. Best,
We are so sorry for the inconveniences during your stay in Hotel Simon.
We are grateful for your reviews about our services.
This is very important for us to improve every day.

According to spanish rules of tourist establishments, Hotel Simon implements strong pest controls every two weeks.
One more time, we apologize.

We would like to inform you, that Hotel Simon’s Team works hard for making all guests stay a pleasant experience.
We hope you decide to come again to Hotel Simon.

Thank you for your review, again.

Best regards,

Hotel Simon
Paris
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I liked everything about the hotel, unfortunately it does have a noise problem. The staff was helpful and gave us another, less noisy room however I would chose another place if your sleep is important to you. If you are deaf, you will definitely love the place. If not, you might want to skip it.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelsimonsevilla, Director de Recepción at Simon Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
We are grateful for your comments about Hotel Simon.
Every day, we try to improve our services.

We hope that you can come back soon.

Best regards!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Normally I'd give a hotel like this 4 stars. Beautiful inner court with fountain and impressive tiles in the breakfast room; and unlike others I enjoyed the breakfast and thought it reasonable value - Seville is more expensive than the other Andalucian cities we visited. The room was big and airy and the bathroom old-fashioned but perfectly clean. And the staff were helpful and friendly. The only problem was the noise from the small street at the rear of the hotel that our room gave onto. We were invariably woken up at 4 or so in the morning by revellers or street cleaning. And it was just an ordinary week we stayed - not Semana Santa or the Fiesta. That said, it's a very good-value hotel and I'd happily stay here again if there's a quieter room available!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David E
hotelsimonsevilla, Director de Recepción at Simon Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you very much for your comments about Hotel Simon.

We are happy for your good stay at Seville.

We hope to see you soon