“Heart of Old Sevilla”
Review of Hotel Europa

Hotel Europa
Ranked #89 of 177 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed 11 October 2012

The hotel is small, with about two dozen rooms. My room was modest in size and dimly lit--old school charming but afflicted with some peeling paint. The bathroom was decent sized and good quality. No view and some street noise from Sevillanos, who party into the wee hours, but nothing excessive. Hotel Europa is tucked away in the historic district between the cathedral and river, which is part of its charm. The streets are tricky to navigate, even with a map in hand, but that's a nice way to experience old Sevilla. In fact, with a little practice, I discovered that the hotel is about two short blocks from Plaza Nuevo and just a bit more from the cathedral and the Archivos de los Indias. The cafeteria (coffee shop) at a sister hotel a short distance away is good, and there are other options as well. The front desk staff, both night and day, deserves a commendation for helpfulness and ability to communicate in English. While I prefer more modern hotels as a rule, this one was perfectly satisfactory for an experienced traveler interested in the historic area.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Really close to the Cathedral, but in a quiet street, this hotel offers good value for money, clean if not exceptionally spacious rooms, a delightful entrance patio in typical sevillano style, and very friendly staff at reception. No breakfast, but they recommend a cafe just on the right hand-side going away from the Cathedral. Probably better value than several of the other hotels I noticed in this part of Sevilla.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed here for three nights for a long weekend in early June. I had read several of the reviews before travelling, both positive and negative, so I was undecided what I would make of the place. Initially, it wasn't as straightforward as I'd hoped to find. Stupidly, I hadn't taken a map with me showing the location of the hotel, assuming that my TomTom would get me there, but unfortunately, the street that it is on isn't in my TomTom! However, I knew the general area it was in, so I wandered around a bit before popping my head into a neighbouring hotel and asking the way. I was only about two hundred metres away. The first impression of the hotel, on opening the door, is quite dramatic. The walls are covered in traditional Andalusian tiles and the reception area has a lovely little seating area. The staff were very efficient at booking us in and providing us with a room key.
The lift took us to our room and we opened the door to what can only be described as a hotel room! Nothing more, nothing less. It was perfectly spacious enough, with hanging space and drawers, plus a small fridge (previously a mini bar). The room and ensuite facilities were clean and tidy and the air conditioning had been set to a pleasant temperature.
There were tall doors leading onto a tiny balcony where we leaned each morning to take in the air. The hotel is on a narrow cobbled street, but it was always fairly busy with pedestrian traffic bustling to and from wherever. Not offensive noise, by any stretch; just everyday life going on. I found it quite soothing.
Location-wise, the hotel was excellent. There were a couple of small bars within stumbling distance and just round the corner was Sierra de Sevilla, a nice tapas restaurant. You could turn in either direction from the door and be at more restaurants and bars within two minutes. The main street with the cathedral is about a four minute stroll away. Much of Seville is in easy walking distance from this hotel. We walked from one end of the tourist map to the other in the few days we were there, stopping frequently to take a tapa and a cold glass of tinto del verano (red wine with gaseosa) along the way.
The only negative I would say about this hotel is that noise does travel between rooms. On our first morning, we had a young child in the adjacent room chattering away, apparently without breathing, from before 7am. He wasn't talking loudly, but it was enough to wake us. I can hardly mark the hotel down for this, though, since I have stayed in many pricier hotels and had exactly the same experience. We were lucky that it was only the one morning as they left that day.
Overall, much recommended. We will be back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Fiona L
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I only have positive things to say about this hotel. The hotel has a nice Spanish decor and the location is perfect a few minutes away from the cathedral so everything is in walking distance. The staff are very nice, helpful and professional. Pedro was kind enough to call for me when I forgot my bag in a taxi, this was a great help since my Spanish is not fluent enough.

I stayed there for 2 weeks and found the hotel very quiet, very clean and perfectly situated. I had a small interior room which was affordable only 45 euros. I would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

There are many restaurants in the streets surrounding the hotel. My favourite is Enrique Becerra which in my opinion has some of the best tapas in Seville and is just across from the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We actually stumbled upon this hotel while driving around the narrow winding streets of Seville. Rooms are small but clean. It is not the Ritz but you are not paying for it either! Great location to the Cathedral and other sites. Pedro was especially helpful in directing us to a great Flamenco place. He was very pleasant and helpful with all of our questions. Would recommend this place to anyone wanting a clean and affordable place to stay close to the action.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Charming traditional building, in a narrow street, handy for all Seville's central area. Lovely lobby and stairwell, simple rooms but comfortable enough. Good clean bathroom. Soundproofing between rooms is not good, but the receptionist succeeded in silencing the noisy man next door when I asked! Wifi did not work during my stay (I could connect to the hotel network but not to the internet).

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I travels around Andalucia during 2 weeks, the Europa hotel was the worst hotel. Very noisy.
The room was so small and not clean enough.
One of the staff (the young man) was so impolite !
Very expensive. 60 euro per night !!

The only positive point is the location, it is close to everything . It 's almost in the heart of historical area .

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
ClaudioMillan, Owner at Hotel Europa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear guest,

We really appreciate your comments about our hotel and our services they are very important to us. Based on what you say, maybe the date of your stay coincides with important dates in our city, that's why the price, we remind you that our prices are very competitive and the lowest price is always guaranteed. I regret what happened with our employee and ask you to apologize us.

Best and kindest regards.

Claudio Millán