“Great little place - perfect location”
Review of Hostal Lis

Hostal Lis
Ranked #164 of 176 Hotels in Seville
London, United Kingdom
“Great little place - perfect location”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

It amuses me how some people book a budget hotel in Seville and then expect The Hilton in Barcelona!

This hotel is in typical Andalucian style (lots of tiles), down a network of charming narrow streets. It was in an ideal location close to some great local bars and restaurants and only 10 minutes walk away from the historic centre.

My room was small but comfortable and clean. The en-suite bathroom was fine - plenty of hot water, clean, the shower worked well. The wifi connection didn't always work, but when it did it was fast. There were some nice touches e.g. plenty of hangers in the wardrobe, reception was manned 24/7, room cleaned every day, clean towels etc.

There were a variety of people who worked on reception and although not exactly 'laugh a minute' they were all friendly, helpful and efficient.

In summary, if you are looking for a clean, well located budget hotel in Seville, this is the place for you.

I'd be happy to stay here again if I return to Seville.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Anthony F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Horrible experience. We had our card on "swipe only" mode from being compromised from traveling. The guy was yelling at us that he couldn't process the credit card, luckily I paid attention in Spanish Class so I informed him to try again with our card now. We even instructed the guy how to use our card and he said "he's got it." Un Momento! So we watched him incorrectly swipe and had to help him after all. Then! We stayed another night and they forced us to pay in cash because they did not have any "paper" for the credit card machine. I just paid it as I didn't want any issues since they photocopies our credit card. Now to the rooms. Water pressure was OK, Room was small, but it was cheap. Bed had springs poking me. Service was zero. Would have stayed elsewhere if I read other reviews. Go to other places for $1 more and not have it affect your stay in Seville (which is a GREAT town!)

Room Tip: Spend the extra $1-$10 elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Seville hotels

California
Reviewed 30 July 2012

The only thing this Hostal has going for them is a very central location. Other than that trust the other reviews, I'm sure you can find a better place for your money. We just spent 2 nights there and it is so loud ( you can hear every single guest and the staff at all hours of the night), and the two gentlemen that work the front desk are so rude, it was unbelievable to me! I could not figure what we could have done to offend them. Also, we paid the first night credit then when we went to pay the second night they said they had no paper for their credit card machine and we had to go pull ut cash from the ATM. Are you kidding me?! even IF that was true, and I don't believe it was, how unprofessional. That is basically the theme of this entire place, unprofessional. I wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LanaKB
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We arrived in 40 degree heat to find no lift, the air conditioning didn't work, the rooms were so small that you could hardly move around the bed, the bedspread looked like it had never been washed and when I pulled back the covers there were long dark hairs in the sheets which clearly hadn't been changed since the previous guests slept there and then I saw the bed bugs - we left immediately. They tried to make us pay for the room even though we had been there less than 30 minutes but we threatened them with the health department so they let us go. Do not stay at Hostal Lis - it's filthy and a health hazard.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
ontario
Reviewed 25 December 2011

Tiles were the only thing interesting about this place. The towels are dingy, beds ok, small rooms and big enough bathroom but it takes a while for the hot water to come There is free wifi. Too expensive for what we got.The same reception person works the whole day (saw him in the a.m., aft and late in the evening which may explain the sombre attitude). Sufficient for one night as the other hotel I booked didn't have any rooms available for the first night of my stay.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Somwhere
Reviewed 24 October 2010

If you need to travel on small budget the hostal might be okay - but I'm sure there are better ones in Seville. The rooms are very small, not actually clean and quite noisy. The receptionist didn't leave a sympathetic impression on us either. We wanted to stay longer but decided to change the accommodation as soon as possible!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jam5Somewhere
Chicago, USA
Reviewed 26 February 2010

I found this hotel in a websearch of places to stay in Seville. The website was fantastic and the prices could not be beat. I e-mailed a request for a 4-day reservation. While not particularly genial, the respondent confirmed my reservation for the dates I had listed. I was told they only had doubles available at 25€/night, but I was fine with that - it was still far cheaper than anything else I had seen.

Well, let me tell you, the taxi driver had no idea where this place was - he gave me a pitiful look when we finally found the plaza that leads to the dingy pedestrian alley where this place is located. Let´s just say that grafitti was a little more prevalent here than in other parts of town. When I got to the hotel, the reception guy (who seemed to barely speak English, even though the website assures they do!) had no listing for me whatsoever. When I produced copies of my e-mails, he promptly found me a room.

The room was disgusting. For 25€/night, I could have bribed a clean room from a local off the street. The bedspread had stains, there was hair on the linens, there was no hot water, and the ¨window¨ opened out over the dingy pedestrian walkway with no screens. The stink of must and damp, combined with the jerry-rigged, flourescent light fixtures drove me out of there as fast as I could go. I have looked again at the pictures of the rooms on the website and I find it hard to believe that any of them look that nice - the light fixtures and bedspreads look far newer and nicer than anything I saw in the entire place. Even reception was dark, musty and unwelcoming.

Whomever owns this place is robbing people and partaking in false advertising. Absolutely STAY AWAY from this place!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo