“Nice location but small rooms”
Review of YH Giralda Hotel

YH Giralda Hotel
Ranked #116 of 178 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The original room we had booked showed a separate sitting room with a pull out couch. They told us that they thought there was more than 2 and insisted that we stay in another room. When we saw the other room which was very small, we asked to be put in the original room. Then they told us the pull out couch was broken. No difference in cost was refunded as it was pre-booked.

One of our beds did not have all their legs - unfortunately we did not notice until late at night. They did fix it the next day.

The front desk clerk was helpful in getting us a reservation for a flamenco show - which was excellent

Room Tip: Make sure you not prepay with this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 June 2014

In writing this review i am torn because you can't beat the location and price for this hotel if you want to be near the Cathedral/Alcazar area. The hotel is just a two minute walk from the cathedral. You cannot take a taxi directly to the front door. They will let you out less than a minute walk through a curvy pedestrian lane. No elevator but there are rooms on the first floor if this is an issue for you. We stayed here twice coming and going from Seville. The first room had no exterior window and space was tight. The second room had a window to the front of the building and was equally small. There was however adequate storage in the way of drawers. The closet had no hangers in the first room and plenty in the second. I guess this just depends on who was there before you. The rooms were clean but there was an issue with the showers not draining properly both stays. When reported they did have drain clog solution. The towels were very thin and the pillows a bit flat. The staff was pleasant. They would make you coffee in the am but the pastry was nothing more than a wafer of some sort that I was not familiar with. The location provides easy access to a multitude of restaurants, cafes and shops. I would stay here again even with all it's quirkiness. It is by no means a luxury hotel with amenities but if you are looking for a clean room with an excellent location and good price this is it. After all you aren't going to Seville to sit in your hotel room.

Room Tip: No elevators but ground room floors available. Some rooms do not have exterior windows.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jan K
Reviewed 18 June 2014

YH Giralda is conveniently located just two minutes from the Plaza in front of the cathedral in Seville. It is on Calle Abades, more an alley than a street. The taxi will drop you off on the corner and you'll have to walk about 50 yards to the front door. Not a lot to give up for not having street noise. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The hotel is built with its room around the perimeter and a hollow core from lobby to top floor. I mention this only because what noise there might be would come from people in the hallways, the noise can reverberate on the hard surfaces. A minor issue.

The short walk to the cathedral is on a street lined with restaurants so you don't have to go to far for breakfast or even dinner if you do not want to. In addition to being close to the cathedral and the Alcazar, the YH Giralda is literally across the street from La Juderia, the Old Jewish Quarter, an interesting tangle of narrow streets.

This hotel is a good place to stay and I would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stuart S
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I think that this hotel can provide good or bad experiences, and this largely depends on the room you end up with. I agree with all criticisms, including noise from the interior atrium. Windows that look into the atrium offer intimate views to all those who pass by; having to keep curtains drawn all the time in a very small room is overwhelmingly claustrophobic. Fortunately, we were on the third floor and had another tiny window looking out into a light well or air shaft. There was a nesting bird in the ivy, and I actually caught a glimpse of the full moon one night if I crouched and twisted my neck just right, otherwise no view. The drop in the floor that allows the door to swing open is a complete hazard, especially as it drops right in front of one's pathway to the bathroom. We had to leave a suitcase in that space to prevent accidents, but it was unnerving, especially for the 83-year-old with us! The lack of elevator and two flights of stairs were an issue for that very reason, also because the steps' surface is smooth marble and looks treacherously slippery.
We were fortunate to experience quiet nights and courteous fellow guests, and I loved the sound of bells in the morning. I confess that I did wear earplugs, but that was to survive the snoring of one of my companions.
Desk staff were not welcoming or warm. Otherwise, no complaints. We did get a terrific breakfast referral nearby on the main street: Bar Giralda, formerly a hammam and one of the older establishments on the street. Many of the waiters look like they've spent their career there. Food is excellent, service is prompt. It's a great place to sit over a cafe con leche and watch the people come and go.
The bathroom was functional but the shower was impossible, a very bizarre retrofit with water pulsating into the woodwork of another window facing the atrium! Towels were the skimpiest and non-absorbent of any establishment of memory.
I don't expect to travel again to Seville, and although the hotel's location off the main street but close to everything was ideal, I doubt I would stay here again. It suited our most basic needs but neither the staff nor the hotel's limited amenities inspire a return stay.

Room Tip: I recommend the third floor if you can manage the stairs, but I think there are good and bad rooms e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Jennifer R
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We stayed 2 nights in a room on the gound floor. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and although the rooms were comfortable they could use a little improvement being an older facility. There was a little mold in the corners. Excellent location and the room was very quiet. There are no elevators so if you need a ground floor room you should request it.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I travel extensively and dislike giving bad reviews, but for this hotel I must. First the good. The location is perfect, in the middle of everything, but a bit off to the side. Second, ÿMariana, the manager/receptionist. She is a delightful, knowledgeable wealth of information. She deserves a better hotel. The third floor which is the top floor is nice, and I think the good reviews are based on that. There are no elevators though if that is an issue. The small hotel is built around an open atrium so all rooms open on to it. The noise level with people talking and coming and going is unbearable. My room on the first floor had cracks in the door allowing light in from the lobby. The bedding and pillows were old and dated. My sheets had holes. Towels are thin and scratchy. I took photos of what looked to be mold as the paint was peeling off the walls. There was black crud around both Lu showers. A friend stayed in another room on the second floor and did not get one good nights sleep with all the lobby noise. We paid $70 euros a night and found others paid only $51! The lighting used in their photos hides the true look of this dark and dreary place. I understand that over the summer the hotel will be renovated. Til then think twice,
There Are many nicer hotels in the area. Read all the reviews about this hotel before making your decision.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank bertonkat
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I spent 2 nights here so I could go to Feria and was very impressed with this little hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful with easy check in and out. I followed other reviews advice and asked for a room on the top floor for outside noise reasons and was rewarded with a view (albeit small) of the top of the Giralda!
I can only comment on the room I had. It was small but clean and very comfortable with excellent aircon (it was 37 degrees outside!) and free wifi.
The hotel itself is a little bit noisy, the rooms are situated off the main atrium so you may hear noise from every floor. But if you are not bothered by this then this is a lovely place to stay. Only 150m from Giralda, it is an excellent base from which to explore.
The room rate was higher than usual due to feria (I paid €170 for 2 nights), but this was the average for hotels in the area.
I'm sad to be leaving!