“Classic bull-ring, but the bull-fighting leaves a lot to be desired.”

Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza
Book In Advance
US$53.92*
Seville Monuments Guided Day Tour
US$152.17*
and up
Ronda Day Trip from Seville: Wine Tasting, Bullfighting Ring and Optional...
US$32.59*
Seville Sightseeing Tour with River Cruise, Bullring, and Basilica Macarena
Ranked #23 of 297 things to do in Seville
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Beyond the Iberian peninsula most people are rather uncomfortable about bullfighting, which makes a visit to this venerable bullring with attached museums all the more fascinating – not least for those who would never consider attending a bullfight. An inspection of the ring, and the backstage facilities that sustain it (the Plaza, of necessity, has its own ER) is a good counterpoint to a browse around a museum which is full of artwork and costumes celebrating the skill of the matador together with the mounted heads of their animal nemeses. Go with an open mind and you’ll leave with a much better understanding of bullfighting’s place in the life and culture of Andalucía.
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We did the museum tour in the morning and watched the six bull fights which start at 6:30pm

The stadium tour was interesting, the stadium itself having great status in the world of bull-fighting. We were shown the 5 gates of the ring and 3 "tercios" of the "corrida de toros" were described. The museum had lots of memorabilia but didn't really inspire or answer any awkward questions.

We sat in section 9 of the stadium, which is in the shadow - so cooler and more expensive.

It's hard to judge the bull-fighting, the ritualised slaughter of a bull. One the bulls was killed quite quickly, stylishly and clinically by an experienced matador, so the crowd were waving their white handkerchiefs. But another matador and his cuadrilla made a complete mess of it. The matador's estoque was not plunged correctly into the bull's heart despite three attempts and the bull was clearly in major distress. The crowd were jeering at his incompetence. This was the 6th and last bull of the evening and left me with a very bad taste having seen the worst of bull fighting when I expected the final fight to be the very best.

I have a better understanding of bull fighting and what the matadors and toreros should do, but I won't be going again.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Though unsure about the concept of bullfighting, it was interesting to see a sporting arena quite unlike any other I have seen. Though there was a fair wait for the tour, it was worth getting on. Learning some of the history and browsing the museum was very interesting, although it might have been nice to have seen the arena again at the end, or even to walk onto the main surface. They claim a capacity of 14,000, but I struggle to imagine that many in there - it must be rammed!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

This was a great visit - possibly one of my favourite stops in Sevilla, but I have to say I hate the actual act of bullfighting.(We did not see a show, just stopped in for a tour of the bullring and to see the museum inside). Having said that, learning the history and the cultural importance of this in Spain was interesting and the museum was great with lovely artwork and costumes inside. Our guide was well informed, pleasant and helpful. The fee for the attraction was reasonable as well. I am glad we stopped here and I would recommend it as a visit unless you are so wildly opposed to bullfighting. If that is you then this is NOT the place for you.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

we took the general tour visited the Museum the guide lady was very pleasant and took questions well!

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My boyfriend and I visited Sevilla with no game plan. As we were walking around the city we came across the bullring and decided to go in for a visit. It ended up being one of the highlights of our trip. I was completely unfamiliar with the Spanish art of bull fighting and came out of the museum with so much knowledge. It was very interesting and sitting in the bullring made you feel like you went back in time. Very cool!