“Fabulous position, wonderful staff”
Review of Alminar Hotel

Alminar Hotel
Ranked #18 of 178 Hotels in Seville
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The hotel Alminar couldnt be in a better position! Its two minutes to the Cathedral and five minutes to the wonderful Barrio Santa Cruz- an area full of great tapas bars, boutiques and authentic Spanish streetlife! The staff are very welcoming and most informative. they are polite and friendly- nothing is too much trouble. Our room was amazing- with a rooftop terrace, views across the city. The room was cool and spacious. The bathroom clean an well equipped. We had a great night's sleep in lovely comfortable beds. We will be back!!

Room Tip: The top floor rooms have terraces with fabulous views!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I really enjoyed my time staying at this hotel. It turned out to be near almost everything I wanted to do and see in Sevilla. I would just step outside and be involved in the city and be only minutes away from where i wanted to be. It is a small place so the staff are familiar with you and treat you like a friend, and seem to anticipate your needs. You are not lost in the shuffle here. One of the staff, Bonifacio, chatted with me a little bit and from our brief conversation understood me well enough to send me to some cool places that were not in my guidebook. (He also learned I am a big music fan and recommended me some bands to see and also some songs to download! Thanks for the new music recommendations, Bonifacio!)
I was alone on my trip and it was my first time in Sevilla so this welcoming and helpful interaction was very important to me.
On top of feeling like a VIP, the room was very clean and quiet. I had my privacy yet felt a part of the hotel and also the city thanks to the staff. This was one of the best hotel experiences I have had, another one was also in a small hotel. Evidently a place like this is the way to go!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nicole A
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Great location, great service, elegant and clean rooms, really nice bathrooms, fantastic airconditioning, mini-fridge... FREE WIFI! I am so glad that I chose to stay at the Alminar Hotel. The staff was friendly and offered suggestions about which sites to and when. I got a great deal from Agoda and stayed two nights in a single room.

Didn't try the breakfast because there are many places to grab food within steps of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We had an amazing stay at Alminar Hotel, the staff were so welcoming and friendly (Francisco's knowledge and kindness will guide anyone around the city!). The location, nestled away, was perfect for all the attractions and beautiful sights. Only a stones throw away from the main square! Seville is a lovely city, with beautiful food and drink,and this hotel only further compliments the spanish lifestyle!

I would go back to Alminar in a heart beat, thank you so much for having us!

Room Tip: The hotel has a beautiful room with a roof terrance!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2012

Great location with views of Giralda Tower and a short walk to the Cathedral and Alcazar Palace. We booked the cheapest double room and were upgraded to one of the best rooms in the hotel since it was available. We had access to a terrace and wonderful views. The bathroom was modern with glass mosaic tiles and immaculate. The reception staff was pleasant and helpful.
It's a little expensive for a small hotel but well worth the small splurge because you get a boutique hotel experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This is the first time I have felt disappointed being guided by Tripadvisor. I always read a broad selection of TA reviews to gauge what appear to be the genuine pros and cons of a hotel and take with a pinch of salt the reviews that appear unnecessarily picky. On a second trip to Seville I felt confident to go ahead based on TA reviews to book one night at 155 euros in a superior room with terrace in the Alminar. What a disappointment! I've stayed all over Andalusia for almost half this price in far better rooms. It lacked any charm whatsoever. The room was in a scruffy out building at the top of the hotel; the bed had no headboard with dull worn out looking bedding; the furniture was a scruffy, chipped mish mash. There were mouldy looking tiles in an unappealing bathroom and we had to go out with dirty hair as the shower kept going too scalding hot to put your head under it. Seville is a fantastic lively city and we revelled in it but we didn't want to hear street noise in our room until the early hours which was the case here. The only reason I give this hotel two stars is one for location and one for staff efficiency at check in/out. I've never written a negative review as I have always been so well directed by Trip Advisor but at 155 euro I would not like somebody else to be as disappointed as we were. I can only assume some of the other rooms represent good value for money otherwise I am baffled at how this hotel is receiving positive reviews. On a trip to Seville last year we enjoyed the beautiful Alma Sevilla Palacios de Villapanes for the same price we paid at the Alminar. We ended up staying longer in Seville than planned on our trip this year and at short notice stayed at the Becquer and the Silken Andalusia, both of which I would recommend.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonMandD
FranciscoAlminar, Manager at Alminar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2012

Dear LondonMandD,

First of all, I am so sorry that your night with us was so disappointing...always very sad for me to hear such a thing. But, of course, I must clarify a couple of things which, in my opinion, apply to the case.

For what you say, I think your style of hotel might be more a Chain 4 or 5-star hotel type more than a 3-star family run inn like ours. Our location, you are right, and our attention to our clients ( which I am glad were satisfactory ) may suggest we are more than that but we are a 3-star only. The price you had for 1 of our Superior rooms with terrace overlooking the Cathedral for 1 night ( one night only ) was 155 Euros. May is High Season and you will not find a room at the Alma Hotel for less than 250 euros ( March, when you stayed there, is a different story ) so you are comparing different seasons which is not right. I am sorry that you disliked our decoration ( including having no bedhead ) but that is perfectly public in our web and in so many pictures taken and published by previous guests in Trip Advisor. I must add that our furniture and bathrooms are perfectly clean and in order if not totally new. Finally, I must add that we have never ever had a complaint about street noise in a room which is on a 4th floor. Our windows are triple-glazed and our street is pedestrian. I am genuinely surprised by this but noise is a question of perception, I suppose.

Again sorry that your stay with us was not satisfactory for you but thank you for writing your review, anyway, because you can be sure we will take your comments as a motivation to improve our hotel and services within our possibilities.

Yours sincerely, Francisco Naranjo, Manager.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

The location of the hotel is by far it's main asset. It is close to the Giralda, the alcazar, main shopping streets etc. For note, the hotel is down a small cobblestoned street so if you come by taxi, it cannot take you to the front door (but the walk is not far).
There are also many great restaurants within walking distance.
As mentioned by others the rooms are tired and dark but are clean. The advertsement of each room having a balcony is a little misleading for the lower level rooms as you cannot actually step out onto it.
They provide a lovely touch with a couple of free drinks in the fridge. The wifi is also free in the rooms, but did freeze up quite a bit.
The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke English.
I would definitely consider coming back to this hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo