“Something for everyone and its free. Opens at ten last admission today 1.30”

Museo Militar Regional
Ranked #77 of 285 things to do in Seville
London, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Something for everyone and its free. Opens at ten last admission today 1.30”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I visited the military museum in the big Plaza de Espana today. We came to the area with a conducted tour yesterday. We needed to come back to see all the beautiful tiles of each region on the walls around the semi circle.
The museum is just to the left of centre if you are standing in the middle looking at the semi circle. I was keen to get a picture of my husband with his head in a cannon mouth but it seems you leave everything in a locker at the entrance. This is good as you can go round in unencumbered.
I enjoyed the uniforms and had my picture taken with the model at the museum entrance but i did not touch him! I studied the priests book in Latin. I worked out clementissime must be most merciful. I loved seeing the roman scales, the mechanical machine that worked out how to take into account prevailing conditions before sending off a charge on a ship. The surgical instruments and early silver anaesthetic masks for ether and chloroform. some of the labels are in english.
My husband entertained me with information about percussion fuses and detonators and demonstrated how the shape of shells evolved with the ones on display.
There were families there but I think the smaller children were bored. There are no interactive exhibits bit there is plenty to see and absorb.
On the top floor there were some intricate interesting models of forts mostly to stop the British. I will not for get the names of Columbus ships Santa Maria Nina and Pinta. The lovely models made me appreciate just how small these ships were that sailed around the world.
It was free to go in but on Saturday the last admission was at 1.30.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank wendywal1

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Definitely worthwhile”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Not knowing that this museum was here, we had already marvelled at the Plaza de Espana and seeking some shade saw this museum open. It was very well laid out and as a nonmilitary enthused person, I really enjoyed this. My husabnd loves this tyroe of thing so he was in his element. Another half hour and it would have been perfect he said. We were for about 1hour.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Nickdave
Italy
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“To keep your son interested for an hour”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

If you are travelling with your son and he is very tired and doesn’t want to follow you around Plaza de Espana this is the place to keep him interested for a while. The museum is at the very end of the colonnade and the entrance is free. It is very small and, being focused on the artillery, many items on display are guns and ammunitions. But there are hundreds of small soldiers, uniforms and the reconstruction of some forts (there is also Enigma, the WWII German encrypting machine) which will attract the attention of your son.
An hour will be enough to visit it and you’ll appreciate the cool air inside the museum.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank ItalyMar
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
921 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 751 helpful votes
“Don't miss this hidden gem - it is well worth discovering”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

This museum is rated number 40 out of 97 attractions by reviewers on Trip advisor. I can only assume that this is due to lack of reviews and not the quality of the museum.
The museum is located in the main building of the Plaza de Espana towards the city end. I am not big into military history but I did find it very interesting and exceptionally well laid out. There was a temporary exhibition of scale models of military fortresses on display by local technical college students when we visited in April 2013 of very good quality. There is a great colour guide provided and photographs are allowed. Free entry and free storage provided for you bag along with toilet facilities. Overall a very pleasant experience - don't miss it if you have time

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Albywon
London, United Kingdom
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Excellent museum”
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I was surprised to stumble upon this museum while visiting the Plaza de Espana and looking for somewhere to escape the heat for a few minutes.

Entrance is free and this museum has a vast collection of all sorts of things from model forts, uniforms, machine guns, bombs, pictures. It was a fascinating way to spend an hour.

I was amused to see Francis Drake described as an 'English Pirate' rather than the English national hero who defeated the Spanish Armada!

Visited October 2012