“Position cannot be better”

Boutique Hotel Casa del Poeta
Ranked #1 of 176 Hotels in Seville
Cape Town
“Position cannot be better”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We found this beautiful little hotel in the old town of Seville on TA and were not disappointed. The position could not be better, near all the worthwhile sights, though it is a bit noisy in the old town ... just like all old towns in Europe. If you like fluffy towels and gowns, comfy beds and super helpful reception staff, then you're in for a treat. There is no parking though, and getting to the hotel is done with the help of staff who will meet you in a nearby square. It is totally worth the slight inconvenience. Our breakfasts were extra, and the only slight disappointment was with the restaurant staff who had virtually no English (but loads of enthusiasm). This establishment deserves to rank in the top 5. We had room 19 and loved it.

Room Tip: Probably best rooms are up top, with a little terrace.
1 Thank working-suitcase

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at Casa Del Poeta for 3 nights at the start of Semana Santa on a family trip. If I were reviewing on the basis of just the experience of the room that I shared with my sister, I would be giving a 5* rating without a doubt. The hotel actually looks as good as its pictures. The location is amazing - in the heart of the Santa Cruz barrio yet incredibly quiet. Decor is faultlessly stylish, beds are extremely comfortable, and cushy robes are provided. Oh, and the hairdryer is great, which is rare in a hotel. While breakfast is a little limited, it is served in the most courtly manner in the loveliest of settings....you feel like a character in Downton Abbey going on the Grand Tour of Europe! (For those not concerned with atmospherics, I'll add this was the best hotel coffee I had in a 2 week trip around Spain.) In general, I think the hotel offers very good value for the area, and once it works through all the minor snags that are inevitable in a new operation, it will be absolutely stellar.

In the meantime, visitors should be prepared for the possibility of a hiccup or overlook some minor flaws. (The latter are really minor nitpicks, but in the spirit of constructive feedback, will offer up that some small additions are needed: i) some kind of shelving in the showers for holding soap & shampoo - I found myself balancing my soap on top of my shampoo, and if you're elderly or not very limber, can't be much fun having to stoop to get your shampoo/conditioner etc from the floor of the shower, no?; ii) a soap dish for the sink area; iii) a wastepaper basket in the room - it's not pleasant to have to throw out all your rubbish in the bathroom bin, particularly for female travelers at certain times....)

In general service is excellent and thoughtful. The manager emailed ahead of time to advise us of the tricky nature of access in the barrio Santa Cruz, and we opted for car service pickup priced at only a modest markup over regular taxi fare (the car service driver led us through the maze of alleys from the nearest parking spot.) My family were assigned rooms 15 + 16, which have their own separate small hallway and door. This is a great choice for families, as we could shut the outer door and wander between the 2 rooms in privacy.

Unfortunately, my parents' room, beautiful as it was, smelled like smoke, had a creaky door (which was promptly attended to by staff), and suffered a leak from the room above during their stay, which was not quite so promptly addressed: When my mother discovered that water was dripping into her bathroom from the ceiling above in the middle of the night, the staff asked her to switch the a/c off to make sure it wasn't just condensation dripping from the heat pump. Unfortunately, it wasn't......it seemed to be coming from the bathroom above, which suggests to me that there are some inevitable teething pains in a historic conversion such as this.

Tip: If you are coming to Seville for Semana Santa, ask the hotel for the route guide/timetable and note when the Santa Cruz procession takes place. The hotel literally backs onto to parish church of Santa Cruz & shares an alley with its back entrance, so you'll get the most intimate view of the procession getting ready & rub shoulders with penitents joining the procession.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Cantabrigienne
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This hotel only opened a month ago and you can tell. It needs a few personal touches. We stayed in room one, right next to the reception. The noise levels were extremely high in the mornings with people wheeling cases and checking out. We didn't have the breakfast so can't comment on that. The room itself is breathtaking when you arrive. We were told we had our own lounge upstairs. Brilliantly though, this 'lounge' on the top floor consisted of an empty room with one humorously small chair in the corner. We rushed up, having not expected a private lounge and fell about laughing when we saw what it was! Beds comfortable though and service fantastic. Also the hotel is so perfectly situated, but be warned there is currently no sign outside at all, just a big black door. Having mentioned our anniversary, they laid on Ferraro rocher and champagne which was a lovely touch. In six months I should imagine this will be a perfect little inner city paradise.

• Stayed April 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Decided on a short notice visit to Seville and found this excellent hotel on TA. It fit our requirements perfectly. We always look for boutique hotels in the heart of the area we want to see and Casa del Poeta ticked all the boxes and more. We had a bit of difficulty finding the correct area (out of date sat-nav), but once we were as close as possible by vehicle through the maze of narrow streets we called the hotel and one of the managers was quickly with us to show us to reception and then take the car to a parking garage (we did not need it again as everything we wanted to see was within walking distance). The hotel building is a newly refurbished old schoolhouse in the classic style with a central courtyard and rooms on two floors. It has been restored with taste and style and is very comfortable - also excellent value compared to other quality Seville hotels. The staff are extremely helpful and more than happy to arrange restaurant or tour bookings and they always greet you with a cheery smile. There is no hotel restaurant but there are plenty in the area including great old tapas bars. The owners have their own restaurant just down the street, which is very good quality and worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel in the heart of Santa Cruz and moments away from the cathedral is simply divine. Its been open 3-4 weeks and I hope it is the great success it has all the makings of. The staff are extremely helpful and the décor is impressive. Built around a traditional courtyard, incense is burnt during Semana Santa which brought a little bit of the divine into the place

I had an internal courtyard facing room which was gorgeous but I did ask to look at the external facing rooms which are truly amazing and if you can spend the extra, its worth it

The terrace offers great views of the Giralda and the rest of Seville and I know there are plans to make the terrace more user-friendly with seating for sun-worshippers

The wifi was slightly weak in my room but worked and if that's the only fault I can find, this place deserves all the highest accolades

I cannot recommend this place enough and I know that a large part of why I enjoyed Seville was about where I stayed. My compliments to the proprietor, manager and all the staff!

Room Tip: Spend the extra and go for an external-facing room. worth the spend. I was in a courtyard room and s...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ramat Gan, Israel
Reviewed 20 April 2014

The hotel is in a great location to explore the old town and all attractions, even though it's impossible to reach by car or even to get enough close.
However, the amazing service compensates as the staff will meet you in a street close by and will take and park your car for you. I have to say this helped A LOT! as Seville is hard to drive in as is not to mention reach parking...
Everything is new and comfortable, amazing big bed, great shower, everything is clean. we had a great experience in Seville, much to do with the hotel. highly recommended.
First time that hotel photos are true... looks beautiful.

Room Tip: if getting by car, make sure to call the hotel when you reach a close by place you can stop and they...
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is a gorgeous, romantic hotel in a fantastic location. Our room was spotless, spacious, accommodating and utterly peaceful (no street sounds whatsoever). The staff was friendly and helpful. The hotel only recently opened, but I have no doubt that it will soon be among the top hotels in Sevilla.