“Staff were helpful in adverse conditions”

Sevilla Urbany Hostel
Sevilla Urbany Hostel
Ranked #121 of 159 Speciality Lodging in Seville
Reviewed 18 July 2011

It is probably a good hostel for dorms and singles, but not for couples. We arrived to find that there were only bunk beds. Previous hostels often have two single beds which can be made to be a double. If that was the only problem it might have been OK. When we arrived at the room the lights didn't work. The staff member tried to help and called the maintenance but as it was late, said he would come in the morning. After an hour the lights turned on by themsleves which was OK but bit of a worry, as we never worked out what the problem was. There was no hot water on the first night and in the morning reception said they had just turned it on. There was a free breakfast but the room is so tiny that it was difficult to find room to eat. Plus that's when the cleaning started so there was a sewerage smell to add to the experience. After two nights we moved to another hotel and were much happier.

Room Tip: Not suitable for couples, only bunk beds.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sonofsamorr
There are newer reviews for Sevilla Urbany Hostel

Reviewed 30 April 2011

Internet only in lobby, towels not included. They give you torn and ratty sheets for the bed you have to make yourself. Our bathroom was flooded and the A/C flooded our room even further. Walls are paper thin, you hear EVERYONE and it is not a quiet hostel. Breakfast that is included is worthless (toast and/or cornflakes). The entire property is dingy. Fortunately did not share the bed bug experience.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jhaquett
Reviewed 11 October 2010

This hostel should be used as an example of how hostels should be organised and run by their management:

1. Excellent prices. I stayed 4 days for 13 euros each in a 6 bed dorm, breakfast, locker and wifi included in the price. (they also have 2 pcs available for public use)
2. Super easy booking process (using "verified by visa" system) through their website (no extra charge as in hostelworld.com etc)
3. Nice clean rooms and clean linen
4. Air condition and fully equipped ensuite bathrooms in all rooms
5. Electronic key cards (to access the building, your room and your locker), similar to the ones used in any good hotel
6. Nice website, everything described properly. The photos show exactly how the hostel is in reality

I didn't use but there was laundry service (not free), vending machines and common kitchen. Lots of flyers for activities in Seville, very helpful staff and organised walking tours/bar tours in Seville (if you fancy one, didn't join one though). The only negative point is that the common room is sometimes a bit noisy and the sound reaches the rooms.

It's located in an excellent spot next to Plaza Encarnation and Plaza Cristo del Burgos and the Sevici bicycle station is 50 meters away from the hostel.

Make sure to visit the ice cream shop that is located 30 m away from the hostel, turning left at Calle Imagen and the restaurant "los Coloniales" at the end of Plaza Cristo del Burgos (go early to avoid signing up at the waiting list)

All in all an excellent stay, for a great price, in one of the nicest cities of Spain. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank isparos9
Reviewed 2 August 2010

This place was seriously the worst place I have ever stayed in my life.

I was severely bitten by bed bugs (ie hospitalised for it). Later when I inspected the underside of my matress, it was literally crawling with them!! When I went to reception to tell them, they laughed in my face and told me they had never heard of that problem in their hostel. I asked to be moved to a new bed.... and on inspection that had bed bugs too! Finally I had to move to a different room altogether (away from my friends which was annoying) and that bed was bed bug free. Whats worse though, is that a new person was sleeping in my infested bed a day after I had moved out - and managment had done NOTHING to fix the problem.

Not to mention that 5/8 lockers in my room were broken, and the bathroom had no ventilation so permantly smelled stale and damp.

The only good thing is the location. But seriuosly, Seville is relatively small (everythings walking distance), there are plenty of better places.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2010

They started in my forehead and went down all my right side of the face to my arm, cross my back and to my left arm.
I couldn´t sleep in the hole night but I tought they were mosquitos. I realised they were not after going to the hospital and taken medicine. When the swallow went down and i could see the way they have bitten me.
The answer was that they fumigate once a month but this was not one day flea.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I would recommend people to stay here during their visit in Seville, its great with all the facilities including English speaking people at the reception. Good clean rooms and a lovely friendly environment.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Nature7
Reviewed 29 April 2008

Check in: According to the website they take Credit Card, although upon arrival they do not, and we were forced to pay for our entire stay in cash upon check in. I think it would have been reasonable to pay for one night, but instead we had to pay for all. Next, they tell us that we need to also pay cash for our sheets, which we stayed at 3 other hostels in Spain and none of them required this deposit. Also, towels were not included, those also needed to be paid for.

Next, we get to our 4 person room, and it is so small we can only fit about one of our suitcases on the floor. We then realize that the doors to the rooms do not lock and that we must fit ALL of our belongings into the safe. The bathroom was small, but thankfully clean. The shade on the window did not shut so we were unable to keep the sun out in the morning. It is located right across from a church so you hear the bells every hour, very noisy.

The free internet was a plus, and they did give us free Sangria one night which was good. The breakfast was good that it was included but only consisted of bread and juice. Overall I would NOT recommend this hostel to anyone, it was not what we expected at all.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)