“Small is beautiful”

Ranked #53 of 176 Hotels in Seville
United Kingdom
“Small is beautiful”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Hotel Holos is a small hotel (just seven rooms) approximately two kilometres from the main city centre. We bought a 'bonobus' ticket and used the buses to get into and around the city - which was much cheaper than taxis. However, we would recommend walking at least once as the route along the wide avenue takes you past the magnificent pavilions built for each country represented at the 1929 Ibero-American Exposition. This takes you to the Parque Maria Luisa where you will find the amazing Plaza de Espana.

HotelHolos was an ideal base as it is outside the crowded city centre and, at night, was quiet and peaceful. The breakfast was sufficient and the warmth of the staff, their kindness and attention to one's needs was charming. Carmen is the perfect host, her knowledge of the city is second to none. It seemed that nothing was too much trouble, ordering train tickets on line and making reservations for meals or shows, saving us the bother of doing this for ourselves.

I believe it is rated highly because it is a small, friendly hotel offering a high level of personal service. If you want a large, faceless institution, with lots of facilities but no soul, look elsewhere.

Room Tip: We had room 7 on the top floor, quiet and large enough for the two of us.
Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
BoutiqueHotelHolos, Propietario at Hotel Holos, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. They really make us feel that our concept of "less is more" if treated with care can work for the guests staying at Holos. And then thank you for "small is beautiful" which is on the same wave lenght. We hope to see you again visiting Seville.

Carmen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We stayed at Hotel Holos in October 2012. We were very pleased with the rooms and the excellent service.

Rooms are on the small side, but very similar to other hotel rooms we saw while in Spain. They were clean, big enough to accommodate our backpacks and comfy. The bathroom was small, but not unusually so, and more than met our needs.

Breakfast was fantastic. Bread and toppings, fruit, pastries, juice and coffee. Carmen fried us an egg one day so that we could taste how much better it is when its done in Spanish olive oil. Thanks a lot Carmen! We are now totally spoiled and have to order olive oil from a Spanish import place. :)

Location is a bit out of the way, but we like that and the tourist area was a short (and direct) bus ride away. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the stop.

The best part of Hotel Holos is the service. Carmen clearly loves her city and knows it well. We got fabulous recommendations for what to see and where to eat. We would stay there again without question.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Doctortwirls!
Thank you so much for your comments, we really appreciate it.
It is about to give our best efforts for our guests to feel attended.
Hope you fell like coming back to Seville and Holos. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

San Jose, California
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have stayed in 7 different hotels and visited 11 cities during our 3 weeks visit - three hotels with 4 stars, three hotels with 3 stars, and one Parador. I booked all our 7 hotels based on the trip advisor reviews. We were very pleased with most of our hotels except Hotel Holos. Trip advisor did not get this right. I wonder why they give this a very good review, it’s #4 in Seville? I don’t get it. We know, location is far from the center but we thought it might make up with the nice and spacious room and good breakfast so we thought we’ll give it a try but everything in this hotel is really very minimal. Nothing is special in this place. It is not worth at all. I agree with the other reviewer that this is not a hotel; this is more of a bed and breakfast. For me, it doesn’t have the caliber to be called a 3 star hotel after comparing with other 3 stars hotel we have stayed in.

Having stayed in different 3 star hotels in cities like Seville, Granada and Barcelona; we compared the prices based on their rooms, food, and locations, between these 3 hotels, Hotel Holos is a little expensive based on the categories I mentioned above.

We have stayed in this hotel for two nights 3 weeks ago. The room we had was very tight/compact. There’s not much space for our 2 big suitcases and 2 carry on luggage’s plus a backpack and a purse. There’s no luggage stand available in the room. We have to put these luggage’s on the floor. Unlike other hotel they have at least one in the room. Safe box and refrigerator are very common in every room whether 3 stars or 4 stars hotel. Hotel Holos doesn’t have these available for their guests. If you have something valuable that you want to keep it in the safe, you have to give it to the receptionist and keep it for you. And the key of the room is the old style big key unlike most of the hotels keys nowadays is the credit card style. That tells you something - this hotel is outdated!

Bathroom is also tight/compact, couldn’t fit two people at the same time. The shower room is dated. The only shower room in the hotels we stayed in that the tile is not wall to wall. The only tile you see is the floor and 2 or 3 inches high of tiles around it. The dirt marks or scratches are very visible on the walls of the shower room which looks dirty. Too bad, I forgot to take pictures of the room and bathroom. I just realized to take pictures when I was in another 3 star hotel comparing with Hotel Holos.
Though, we did not hear any noise from our room perhaps we were just very tired but when we were at the bathroom we can hear next door conversation.

Breakfast was just very minimal. We had two thin slices of French baguette size and 2 slices of bread (a little bigger slice than the French baguette) and one tiny round doughnut. Couldn’t eat the doughnut, it was too sweet. They served the bread along with two different kinds of Olive oil (organic), 1 tiny saucer plate of tomato sauce, four different kinds of jam, orange juice, coffee or tea. Irene said, this is the local’s breakfast. She told us also if we need anything just let her know, so I asked her some fruits so she went back to the kitchen then she came back and said they don’t have it. I was hoping to get some fruits on our second breakfast but no fruits at all. In other hotels we stayed in, they were very generous, breakfast was served buffet style and there’s so much to choose from but Hotel Holos is the opposite. I’ve noticed from restaurants they served potato omelet, churros, ham, and sausages in addition to different kinds of pastries for local and tourist. Spain has good ham and sausages. I wish they serve at least 1 kind of protein and 1 kind of fruit which I think is not too much to ask for.

The property is a three story building and has at least 7 rooms. Our room was in 3rd floor. There’s no elevator available in this building. If you have big suitcases like ours, you have to carry it yourself to the 3rd floor- there’s no help available. We came from Segovia that day and we drove all the way to Seville for at least more or less 6 hours. We were very tired that evening and finding out the hotel doesn’t have an elevator was really disappointing.

The reception area is not spacious and not very inviting. There’s no sofa where guests can sit while waiting to check in/checkout or just a chair/sofa to sit in, period. There’s no charm at all. When you enter, on your right side, you see a desk of the receptionist and on the left side there is a small desk on the corner with a computer and a stool. The lady who was there when we checked in was not very friendly. Service was ok in general and not very friendly.

The location of this property is not in the center of the city. You have to walk around 5 min. to get to the Bus stop (we did not see metro in this area). Unlike most of the hotels we have stayed in, most of them in the center, walking distance to most of the tourist places and very close to the bus and metro stations.

Also, when paying your bill by credit card, make sure to check their rates because Hotel Holos has its own rates and it’s a little higher compared to your credit card rate. Irene told me to sign the receipt without telling me that they have their own exchange rates. I missed to check the rate and signed it right away as she told me to do so. I felt I was taken advantage.

I will not recommend this hotel to anybody. There is nothing really special in this place, it’s just a bed for you to sleep and pay more than what you get back in return.

5 Thank Lina K
BoutiqueHotelHolos, Propietario at Hotel Holos, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Lina,

My name is Carmen, the owner and Director of the Hotel. I don't remember meeting you, but It could happen as I am not 24 hours a day here, but I think our staff is very profesional and helpfull, even if sometimes could not be the case (thank you for letting us know as I will tell them again the importance of being kind, nice etc...). Anyway I appreciate very much the comments of our guests even if they didn´t have the experience of Holos they had expected. This can help us to correct and be a Little better everyday.
As I always say, this is not a Hotel for everybody, so this is why I always recommend to read all the comments before taking the decisión of booking at Holos. I think that if you would have read it before, you would have realiced that this is not the kind of Hotel you were expecting. A big part of your concerns are in other clients' comments and answered by me. On the other hand things that are important for you (key credit cards instead of design keys or tiles instead of Venice Stucco which can be misunderstood and perceived as dirt and scratches which is not the case at all) are exactly the kind of details you are not going to find in the big Hotels with 200 rooms for maintenance purposes (they cannot afford having stucco in their bathrooms).
As for the characteristics of the rooms and the hotel as a whole you have to understand that when we renovated it we had many restrictions. The building is protected because It is a historic building, it was built for the 1929 Iberoamerican Exhibition in Seville, and we had to respect its original estructure. We were not allowed to have an elevator nor even to rotate the stairs. The size of the rooms depends mainly on where the Windows are as well as the stairs as we could not change it. This is why we have smaller and bigger rooms.
This is why we tried to apply, very meticulously, the concept of "less is more" in all posible aspects we could reach: contemporary arquitecture, attentive and quality service, details... We decided to choose one of the most trendy, "avant garde" architecs studio, MGM, to create a new concept of hotel. This is why you don´t find tiles in the bathroom walls but stucco painting and also minimal furniture in rooms and hall. Please note that our Hotel has been shown in many of the most important contemporary magazines in the world. Modern art/architecture is not understood by everybody.
Regarding breakfast we applied the same concept. We offer breads which are artisan made and 100% organic. The same about the exquisite Basilippo olive oils, natural the jams, the fresh tomato puree, the coffee and squeezed natural orange juice. At Holos we understand breakfast as part of the travelling experience and for this reason we offer the best products of our region and the fashion in which andalusians have breakfast. Our breakfast is for free and we never had said we offered something different. If we know that a client likes something we always do our best to please but if you ask it on Sunday or when the shops are closed, then it is impossible to solve it. This is one of the reasons why we always send an email before arriving just in case you want something or need some help. I assure you that the information we offer publicly in our web site and Tripadvisor is not us who write it but other clients who have already talked about our breakfast. Again if you would have read it, you would have seen what our breakfast is about

Regarding the exchange rates, I have to say that you are acussing us, without any idea of how it Works. It is not a game as what you say it is penalized by law. Let me explain the process: When you pay with a non euros credit card, the bank autmatically applys the daily Exchange rate, unless you clearly especify that you don't want to pay in Euros. If you don't ask especifically for it, the machine, under the bank supervisión (in our case Banco Santander) but NEVER it is our own rate. All the business using a TPV from Banco de Santander, will have the very same Exchange rates. Please note that we ARE ALWAYS PAID THE EXACT AMOUNT OF OUR INVOICE IN EUROS REGARDLES THE EXCHANGE RATE, so there is no benefit for us. I am so sorry you could think we could take advante of this, it is just imposible.

We are very proud to say that 94% of our clients are very happy at Holos. Nonetheless we would have wished that you had enjoyed Holos as well. Perhaps our hotel didn´t suit your espectations because your concept of travelling is different to what we propose as a different kind of hotel experience.

In any case, best regards and thank you again for your critique,

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 2 October 2013

It is a small hotel with 7 rooms, but extremely stylish. Clean and staff more than careful with clients. I slept very well and I have nothing to reproach even this hotel. I highly recommend. I felt very comfortable here and I will come back with pleasure at the first opportunity

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much Vali Fratzi for your comments.
Your opinion helps us to keep our trust in our concept. We really enjoy improving our service according to guests. Hope to see you back in Seville and Holos.

Wales
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Small, compact rooms. Clean and modern. Tiny on-suite with shower (with shower curtain) sink and toilet. Room a bit noisy at night from other guests walking up stairs or closing doors. There was also a rather noisy cricket outside our window. I think it was sat in the lemon tree. Kept us awake until we shoved the bright orange toilet paper in our ears - problem solved!
Carmen and her staff were extremely welcoming and had many suggestions for places to see and restaurants etc. She even drove us to the railway station herself when our taxi failed to appear. We really enjoyed the breakfasts ( Breads, olive oil, tomato puree, jams, coffee, orange juice) and there was no rush at all to get up in the mornings if you fancied a lie in.
The hotel was a bit further from the town centre than we would have liked. A 40 minute walk isn't too bad but in 35oC heat it was too far. The hotel does have bikes if you like that sort of thing and the cycle lanes into town are great, and it's very flat. We opted for the No3 bus which took 10-15 mins to get to the centre, and a taxi back which cost 10 Euros (Bus service ends at midnight). Would we stay there again? ....If I was going to watch Real Betis then yes because it's a stone's throw from the stadium, but for a holiday probably not, we'd go for something with bigger rooms/bathroom and nearer the centre.

Room Tip: Bring some ear-plugs if you want a good night's sleep. Crickets and other guests are noisy creat...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
BoutiqueHotelHolos, Propietario at Hotel Holos, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. As always we appreciate the different opinions and experiences that our guests have had at Holos.
Even if you had the experience of the noisy cricket outside the window, expected bigger rooms or wanted to be nearer the center. These are things that are very well explained before you come to Holos (not including the cricket of course). We really give the best of what we can offer which is the best possible attention and comfort to our guests.
In any case we are very grateful for your comments.

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We have just left Carmens' Hotel Holos and are missing her and her teams personnel, informed and welcoming approach. The hotel is approx 5kms from the center of town. Situated in a renovated early 1900's 'expo' villa with seven rooms over three floors. Our room (6), was adjacent to a outdoor terrace and was compact, but modern and functional; with large windows opening to view across the rooftops of the neighbouring villas. We had some concerns about the location as we are not used to public transport, (NZ is just starting to sort that out), but Carmen sorted us out with a local bus/swipe card and off we went, the bus stop is 2 minutes from the hotel and drops you right into town (5minutes) and visa versa... easy as. The hotel is adjacent to the University of Sevilla, safe, friendly folk who are only too happy to help and practice their english. But back to Carmen and her crew who all seemed sincerely concerned that we enjoyed our time in their fine city, which isn't hard, as Sevilla is great, but they make bookings, give a guide and list of great bars and restaurants to try, we almost knocked the list of over 3 days, and don't mind or at least seem to mind the odd dumb question that we seem unable to keep bottled up; these seem to come up over breakfast, (which was simple, fresh squeezed juice, espresso coffee, toasted breads and homemade toppings) when Carmen helps plan your day.
Hotel Holos is a small hotel away from the tourist throng, which provides a calm welcoming retreat, and a taste of 'local colour', we would recommend Hotel Holos without reservation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
BoutiqueHotelHolos, Propietario at Hotel Holos, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Mark,
Thank you for your comments about Holos.
We are very happy you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting Seville.
We really try hard to make our guests feel "at home" and provide them with the information they need to enjoy their stay.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

I have pondered for a long time over this review as I would not want to detract from the service given by the lovely Carmen.
We booked this hotel based on the reviews on Tripadvisor and expected a warm friendly welcome but we were very disappointed. When we arrived we were not greeted by a smile or even a hello. The man in reception asked for our ID and we waited in silence whilst they were photocopied. He then handed us our keys and said room 3. when I waited he said "are there any other questions" and I said " where is our room?" The reply was "up the stairs on the first floor", he made no effort to show us to our room.
The room was at the top of a dark narrow staircase and was extremely small and very functional. The bathroom was little more than a cupboard although very stylish even down to the vivid orange and green toilet paper!' I understand the style of the hotel is contemporary but there was no comfort, no tea or coffee, no English Tv, no chair to sit on. What really annoyed me was that the tubes of shower gel and shampoo etc were used and half empty.
The bed however was comfortable but the rooms very noisy. We could could hear the hair dryer in the next room and people's voices. Every time anyone come up the stairs we were disturbed.
Breakfast the next morning was served by Carmen who was welcoming, friendly and helpful. The breakfast was of good quality but was basically toast and pressed tomatoes and coffee. There was no alternative. An interesting introduction to a traditional breakfast but I wouldn't want it for more than a couple of days.
I know Seville is expensive but at 138 euros a night we felt it
was very poor value for money. We could not understand why this was rated the 5 th best hotel in Seville. Were we missing something? We felt this was more a bed and breakfast. There was no resturant, no room service, no bar, no lounge, nowhere comfortable to relax. A couple of dressing robes in the room does not make it a hotel.
There appear to be many happy customers but compared to some of the other hotels available in the area for the same cost it had very few facilities.
The location was some way from the centre and we spent over 40 euros just on taxis in 2 days.
It just wasn't what the reviews made it out to be.

• Stayed September 2013
5 Thank Vanessa S
BoutiqueHotelHolos, Propietario at Hotel Holos, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Vanessa,
I am very sorry to hear that you were disapointed with Holos and specially, I understand, by not feeling welcomed at your arrival.
I always appreciate the comments from our guests as they are the most important value for us.
Even if your comments express disenchantment. Your opinion is taken in consideration as we really make an special effort to please our guests giving them the best service.
In this effort you help us to detect aspects that otherwise we couldn´t appreciate. Including poor service from the employees, amenities half empty (very rare, I am surprised), not having been offered coffee, tea, water, anything you needed at any time, etc. All these things are always treated with special care.
It is a historic building, it was built for the 1929 Iberoamerican Exhibition in Seville, and we had to respect its original estructure. We couldn´d enlarge the rooms.
Regarding breakfast we applied the same concept. We offer breads which are artisan made and 100% organic. The same about the exquisite Basilippo olive oils, the jams, the tomato puree, the coffee and orange juice.
In the subject of the rates I am sorry to say that we apply different ones depending on the season. I believe that you had two different ones.
Although I understand that if you didn`t have a 100% pleasant stay you could feel disapointed.
In any case, I assure you that the information we offer publicly in our web site and in Tripadvisor as well, is neither more nor less than what we offer at Holos.
Best regards and thak you again for your critique,