“Very noisy and smelly” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Albergue Juvenil La Posada del Comendador

Albergue Juvenil La Posada del Comendador
“Very noisy and smelly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed in this hostel on the second night of our Catalonia interrail adventure. I was expecting a lot judging by the pictures on hostel bookers.com it looked like a medieval castle! All I can say is they have a good photographer/publicist. So I shared a private room with my partner and it was on the 5th floor but the lock didn't work so we were moved to what appeared to be a family room. The window was shared with the next room because there was a stud wall dividing it. There was a child chattering all night and we got very little sleep. Also I found the toilet and shower facility left much to be desired! The showers were cold and didn't run for very long and the toilet stank because someone had changed multiple nappies into the waste paper bin. I know this isn't the fault of the hostel but clearer instruction or a proper nappy bin would have helped. I didn't bother with breakfast here but my partner said it was satisfactory. I would not recommend this hostel although the reception guy did tell us of a cabaret show that was happening which was very amusing, he said it was very Spanish (this must mean very nude).

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Guangzhou, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2013

I have mixed feelings regarding this hostel. On one hand, the hostel is very stylish; the key card gives you access to front door, room and your own locker; great location and very close to Plaza de Pilar, food market, plaza de espana etc; excellent staff that speak fluent English.

On the other hand, you need to pay 3.5 euros for linens, for budget travellers who choose to stay in dorms, this is a lot to add on your budget especially if you are staying only for 1 night or 2, but without the linens, well, let's say a girl in my room found blood stain on her mattress.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Serenayuan
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

These guys are pros. The doors and lockers are accessible through a bar code on your receipt. It was also close to the main city center. The staff was also friendly. I would follow what they outlined in their info of accessing it through the bus because it was too far by walking. The only things that bothered me a bit was that the first floor girl's bathroom always seemed dirty and the wifi didn't reach my room. Otherwise, this is a good value for its price.

• Stayed November 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012 via mobile

Wow! I certainly wasn't expecting such a spacious and well-equipped hostel. Fantastic location. Great common areas and bedrooms have a balcony which was nice. The staff are very helpful and friendly. It was a bit quiet when I was there but that was just after the Pilar festival and apparently it was busy then. The shower times out after 9 seconds (yes I counted!) though, not sure if that is for all showers and floors or just the one I used (women's level 2, rooms 201/202). Overall an excellent hostel. Would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012
Milan, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

The hostel is in an old building in the very center of the city, 5 minutes walking from Plaza del Pilar. We were with the car, and the street we have to turn to reach the hostel was closed for street works. We lost some time to find another way to reach the hostel. There's usually no possibility to park near the hostel, but there is a pay parking near the Basilica del Pilar or a free parking 10 minutes walking (not very close!).
The room was small, it was hot in Zaragoza this August but we cannot keep the window open because there was a jazz session. Music was good to listen even if you're trying to sleep, but people, even after midnight where chatting aloud !! I would recommend this hostel to other visitors but for a night only.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Zaragoza, Aragon, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

This was the best hostel that I have ever stayed at, by a long distance. The staff were very friendly and attentive (one guy on reception we saw spoke German, Dutch, Spanish, French, English and it wouldn't surprise me if the list goes on), and the rooms were clean, spacious and had good A.C. It was 3 double rooms to one male and one female bathroom, which was never an issue. The breakfast was pretty spartan (bread and cereal), but honestly at this price I was surprised they included breakfast. It is a great distance from the centre of Zaragoza, with a large supermarket (toiletries, cheap food and any essentials) and Zaragoza's huge central market (great fresh produce) within a 4 minute walk, and was very safe to walk around at night. What's more, I actually didn't need the room for the full 7 nights and they refunded me the surplus nights once I told them.

Downsides: whilst we couldn't hear any corridor noise, we found that between the rooms there was next to no sound insulation, so be prepared to bring along some ear plugs for the night. Also, the bed was super squeaky whenever we moved. Lastly, there wasn't any storage space. so our room inevitably was a bit like walking through an obstacle course.

All in all, nothing to complain about and at this price I would happily recommend the hostel and stay there again.

Room Tip: We got a private double room, but it actually came with a double bed and a single bunk on top.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

I stayed here on two separate occasions for a few nights. It's a great hostel, extremely central, a few minutes walk away from Pilar and El Casco. The hostel staff are extremely helpful, and gave us great help whilst we were there, and trying to find an aparment to live. For any erasmus, this is definitely the place to stay whilst apartment hunting, as it's full of other erasmus come september, the atmosphere at night is great, with everyone getting together to pre-drink and go out. I met friends here, who I have remained friends with until this day. It's also great for meeting potential flatmates! The rooms are grand, clean as are the showers, and the kitchen area is great for meeting people!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends