“Interesting, sparse architecture in an unusual setting”
Review of Centro Niemeyer

Centro Niemeyer
More attraction details
Owner description: Oscar Niemeyer International Cultural Center. Gateway to all the arts and cultural events: music, film, theater, dance, cuisine and word.
Madrid, Spain
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Interesting, sparse architecture in an unusual setting”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Centro Niemeyer is Avilés' bid for the star-architect fame and tourist draw. Close-up it is rather sparse, but impressive especially if you come along the pedestrian bridge from the town. Helped by some dramatic light, we took some of our favourite photos of this trip there.
A hint: at least when we visited the cocktail bar service and drink quality was excellent, making for a truly enjoyable sunset experience. It can get crowded there, though.

Visited September 2011

London, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 104 helpful votes
“very interesting”
Reviewed 31 December 2011

There is a free tour that lasts about 45mins ad tells you about the ideas behind the design. Really worth a visit

Visited December 2011
Frigiliana, Spain
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Serendipity”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We came to Avilés for two nights and were intrigued by the obviously very new complex by the river, so we spent the greater part of the following day there. The buildings, the enormous open space surrounding them, and the exhibitions inside them - all just took our breath away. To find anything comparable you would have to head for Bilbao and the Guggenheim.

6 Thank payasoru
Reus, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Very cool!”
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I came to Aviles only to visit Centro Niemeyer. It is a fantastic collection of buildings (and bridges!), the big shame for me was it was cloudy the days that I was in Aviles which meant that I didn't get the full intended effect of the stark white against a bright blue sky. The art galleries are worth a visit, it seems that not many people actually venture inside as I was practically alone. The cinema listings are worth checking out as the day I was there Citizen Kane was on (I missed it because I didnt look at the listings!!) There are some very cool projects coming up here. I think that Aviles itself has the makings of a great place, there are some great art gallery/shops and plenty of beautiful buildings. Needs a bit of a tidy up around the edges at the moment though!

Visited August 2011