“Best restaurant ever!”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We discovered aviles by chance and it was a great pleasure to find out Pañol restaurant. Gerardo, the owner, is very friendly and he really deserves the best for his business. Please try the entrecotte and the spanish black pudding. For vegetarians, try the menestra. Fantastic!!!!!!!

There are newer reviews for El Panol

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Recommended to me, and it really is very nice and the food excellent, and I will recommend it to all who visit Aviles

1  Thank NScherer00
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Wonderful service and delicious meals. The owner didn't speak much English but he was extremely gracious to three American travelers. Artichokes is one of their specialties and the version we had was out of this world. Pork dish was also tender and flavorful. Chocolate desert (similar to molten chocolate) was decadent. Exceptional experience overall!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

It wasn't my first time in the city, not at all, though I had never really bothered to browse much when it came to going out for lunch or dinner. Then it came. A few friends suggested it to me, friends who went there once just to try, friends who didn't even read about it and instantly found their new favourite restaurant. I had to try and It was all they told me and more: A nice looking place, small but in a way you are never overwhelmed even if it's full, more wines than I could count, all of them quality, and a barman who knew his business and his wines as well, a tiny yet extremely comfortable dining room, great service and politeness and of course an incredible and diverse menu, with exquisite plates I had never tasted and others I already had but were as good as those I tried in other places and for a more than reasonable fee. The first time I dined there I knew I would be back, and until today it has been my absolute first choice restaurant in Avilés. Callos, menestra, rabo de toro...and more. I have tried almost everything and there's still dishes I haven't. And after a great dinner, try the best cocktails you're likely to find anywhere in Asturias. Word.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Two wonderful lunches with a family group of seven in early August.
El Panol is the first bar on the corner and easily missed amongst the more ostentatious establishments in this delightful square.
The proprietor and his lovely family are the real stars of this unpretentious and charming gem amidst the old streets of Avila. On the first occasion we sat outside under a parasol; on the second occasion we ate in the cosy and exquisitely decorated dining room.
On both occasions the owner made recommendations for food and wine and all were perfect. Throughout, he and his family were friendly and attentive to ensure that we had a great lunch. With pudding he served complimentary pudding wine and when I showed interest in its origin he offered another glass of his personal favourite.
The bar is famous locally for G&T and he took much pride in producing a complimentary golf fish bowl of gin on both occasions.
This is the sort of place that deserves to succeed because the family are clearly passionate about what they do. The food is wonderful but the people are truly special.