“Saying 'nothing special' would be an overstatement.”
Review of Hostal Campoamor

Hostal Campoamor
Hostal Campoamor
Ranked #8 of 19 Gijon B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Saying 'nothing special' would be an overstatement.”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The website gives little to no information about the rooms (and there's a notable lack of photos). We arrived, and were shown into a TINY room that barely fit one double bed. There was an on-suite shower, but no toilet, which was across the hall. That was unexpected.

The service was absolutely fine (there was a HUGE language barrier, but if I complained about that I'd just be being a xenophobic Anglocentrist), but there were literally no amenities; either you're in your tiny room or you're out in the street. There's no communal room or kitchen or anything, just a small corridor that can barely fit 5 people in. Instead of a duvet we had 2 blankets held together by a sheet, which was new to me, and instead of a nice view of the street we had what was pretty much just a brick wall out of the window.

The strangest thing? The room had a TV, which I thought seemed uncharacteristically luxurious for such an establishment, but I turned it on to find that literally no channels had been tuned. I had to do it all by myself, manually, frequency by frequency. Then when the TV was turned off and on again, all my hard work had been undone and I had to start from scratch. It was weird.

Also, we stayed 3 nights here before moving on to Oviedo, where we found a hotel that was considerably nicer for about half the price per night. This place is unusually poor value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple