“Centrally located... walking distance to all cultural places..."”

Ayre Hotel Ramiro I
Ranked #28 of 49 Hotels in Oviedo
Kensington,Maryland
“Centrally located... walking distance to all cultural places..."”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Two weeks ago we stayed at the Ramiro I for a conference that my husband was attending. The hotel belongs to the Ayes Hotel group. We were extremely satisfied with the overall quality of the hotel, including the room, breakfast, lunches, and customer services. In addition, we were able to walk to the old center, the theater where we attended a wonderful performance, and the shopping district. We felt very safe. Will return if we go back to Oviedo.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at higher levels or on the back of hotel. We stayed on the third floor facing the mai...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Manchester
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This medium-sized hotel is very conveniently situated for visitors to Oviedo university and for the historic centre of town, but a little less convenient for the station and its nearby shopping areas (2km). It is now a hotel in the Ayre chain. I had stayed here previously, so I knew what the hotel was like. It is very comfortable and well-kept. Staff are friendly and polite. Rooms and bathrooms are very clean. However, there is a great deal of variablility in the size and positioning of rooms and as far as I know they are all the same price. Provided you book in advance and look out for promotional deals you can get very good value accommodation. Apparent prices can vary depending on the route (direct or via agencies) that you make your internet booking.
The air conditioning is a disaster, and I suspect a serious problem in high summer. The instructions are inadequate and it doesn't do what it says on the box. Even in September my room was a bit too warm. Internet in room was not working when I was there.
Lifts and accessibility for people of limited mobility are good. There is a good and varied 'eat all you can for about 10 euros' self-service breakfast, but not such good value if you only want a light breakfast. However, there is an ajacent bar that can serve a light continental style breakfast for about 5 euros. They have a restaurant for evening meals and the much looks very attractive but I did not try it.
I have stayed there three times now. I would definitely go back and recommend it to anyone. It is perhaps not so well known that Oviedo the city is a really nice place to visit.

Room Tip: Rooms on the street side, though potentially noiser, are more likely to be of consistent size. Previ...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank ErnestoManchester
N Ireland
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I liked this hotel. Good breakfast. Twin room a little small for two. About 20 minute walk from railway station. Very clean.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bostontea
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Ramiro at the end of June 2011 for 4 nights.

The room was spacious and we were lucky enough to have a small balcony. Both the room itself and the bathroom were very clean. The only problem we had was that the room was very warm, especially at night even with the air conditioning on full. The controls weren't particularly intuitive, so we weren't able to cool the room down at all. At midnight the air conditioning stopped working altogether, so the room temperature gradually increased and became more and more uncomfortable. After the first night I asked about it at reception and it appears that all the room temperature settings are centrally controlled, so the secret is to ask for it to be set fairly cold. The TV had no English channels, but the free WiFi was very fast and reliable.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, even coming over to the hotel restaurant when we were eating lunch to offer to translate the menu for us. We also had possibly the happiest waiter ever deliver room service to us on our first night. The standard of the food was good, with large portions.

Overall, the Hotel Ramiro is clean and comfortable, the only downside being the temperature in the rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Yes, I know people have eulogised about the staff here, and the quality of the breakfast buffet, and I guess somebody always has to draw the short straw and get the tiny dark room with no view...

...but this time that somebody was me, and it made for a stay that I wasn't sorry to end. My room was tiny, and I am genuinely not exaggerating this for comic effect. I have bigger cupboards at home! Just enough room in it for the bed, and space enough to walk down either side of it, and that was your lot. Unfortunately there was hardly any natural light, which made the room seem even smaller and pokier. The window overlooked some sort of narrow, grimy shaft that ran down to some skylights onto the ground floor below. All I could see from my window was a wall opposite me, some 4 metres away, with a collection of stained pipes bolted to it.

But. The room was clean, the shower was powerful (the bath it emptied into was laughably tiny - literally half the length of a normal bathtub), and yes, the staff were friendly enough, the breakfast buffet was very pleasant, and there was free wifi. Any room but mine (or it's equivalent on the other floors) and it would have been a fine enough place to stay, I suspect.

Room Tip: Accept no room ending in '10'.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank dunnjon
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2010

Stayed for one night. No complaints at all- very friendly and helpful staff, clean and well appointed rooms with a few extra touches. Good location too. Good breaksfast buffet and good value I thought. I would recommend and certainly return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank HerbertFrancis
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed 8 April 2008

Hotel Ramiro I is a 4 stars hotel in Oviedo. It was an old hotel that have been renewed recently.

The rooms are quite nice, with a flat LCD TV and the WC are new. Clean, with an antique decoration.

The breakfast is normal, above average for a hotel of this kind. The best thing is that they have a Nespresso machine: great coffee!

It's far away from everything.

• Stayed March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Joao G
director_ramiro, director at Ayre Hotel Ramiro I, responded to this review, 12 April 2008
First of all thankyou very much for your comments. As you refer the hotel is in a process of remodelation; next step total reform of the lobby and cafeteria.
As far as you talk about location I would like to say that the hotel is very near the city center as you enter from the highway.
Anything we could help you do not hesitate to contact us.
Best wishes,