“Excellent value”

Ranked #41 of 49 Hotels in Oviedo
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent value”
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Very good value for the money. Right in the centre of the city, the hotel is clean, the rooms are not too small and the furniture is pretty well kept. Good and very clean bathroom. Staff just okay. Would definitely repeat, cannot find better for this price!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Almeria, Spain
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I stayed here with my boyfriend for a weekend trip. The room was small but spotless. The staff were all really nice and helpfull. It's a really nice location for a hotel; it's close to the train and bus station and right in the city center. My only complaint is that we could hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallway as if it were happening in our room. Other than that it was a great stay and a reasonably priced hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
San Diego, California
Reviewed 7 November 2011

The rooms are nothing exceptional, but for the price you cannot expect a luxury room, the rates were reasonable. My room was a little bit too small, not sure if the others are the same size or we were just bad luck.
Anyway, the location of the hotel is excellent, right in the heart of the city but quite silent, so the sleep is not bad (if you don't have noisy neighbours and you are in one of the interior rooms).
The staff were smiley and nice.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 90EB

Travellers are raving about these Oviedo hotels

Reviewed 31 July 2011

If u like dirty ,smelly , uncomfortable rooms, the most rude staff in the world and a terrible experience, this is your place. Do yourself a favor and look for another place to stay in what is a very nice city.

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Maraka9
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Only negative was the smell of drains from the top floor bedrooms, but otherwise perfectly lovely and clean.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2010

My boyfriend and I spent a week in this hotel. Having previously lived as a student in Oviedo, I knew exactly where the hotel would be and picked it specifically for the central location as we wanted to be near everything. We were also on a budget.

The location did not disappoint - it's in between the new and old part of the city but this is a bit of an inconvenience too. Quiet and relaxing it is not! The entrance is unfortunately between two empty shops at the moment which doesn't give a great first impression. I was a bit disappointed on arrival, especially as our room was right next door to the dining room and on the street (room 101) and they had given us a twin room instead of the double I'd requested. I went downstairs to request another room but they said the hotel was full. Oh well...

We didn't try breakfast once while there - 5 euros sounded a bit steep for what looked like a very average breakfast of coffee, juice and a bread roll - we found a great patisserie around the corner which worked out cheaper and tastier.

But the hotel does have some positives - 24 hour check-in was great, the black-out blinds were fine for blocking out the noise from the road below and also helped us sleep. I was only woken once by breakfast diners during my whole stay. Most importantly, the room and bathroom were kept extremely clean - I was impressed by this. We paid 50 euros a night between us which isn't bad for Oviedo centre and a hostel would've worked out about the same. An empty fridge was a bonus for us to store our own food / drink.

All together, this hotel is fine for a city-break or a couple of nights. Even longer if you plan to use the hotel just as a base to sleep, as we did. But you wouldn't want to spend longer there really and don't go there if you're after a romantic getaway!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 15 December 2008

Hotel City Express is conveniently located halfway between the bus station and the old city centre, making it a good option if you want to get around quickly on foot in Oviedo - which, given the city's manageable size and the narrowness of the streets, is probably the best idea if practicable.

This was my third stay and I was pleased to see that quality has been maintained since I was last there in Spring and Summer 2006. Reception staff are courteous, the rooms are clean and well-lit and a small refrigerator was available in my room - better even than an overpriced minibar, this one was empty so I could keep my own snacks and drinks purchased from a nearby shop. Lots of large and small shops nearby as well as some pleasant cafés. WiFi internet was available free in my room - connection was a bit weak but much better than nothing. The website through which I booked got me the rock-bottom price of 36 Euros per night in single occupancy.

My only word of caution would be that if your room faces out onto the street, traffic noise may be an issue at night - but then I always, always, ALWAYS say take ear plugs no matter where you're staying.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No remote for the telly
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)