“Great food, doesn't disappoint”

Victor Montes Restaurante
Ranked #103 of 1,223 Restaurants in Bilbao
Cuisines: Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bilbo Zaharra
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Shared the menu del dia which included tasty carpaccio and merluza a la plancha. I also had a couple if vegetable plates. Great service and no problem sharing. Portions are generous.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Victor Montes has been my favourite bar in Bilbao in all the years that I have been visiting the city, with excellent pintxos, including of txangurro (the Basque for spider crab). It led the way when I was there in 2009 with a sign which asked people not to smoke near the pintxos.

Now, it is still excellent, and the staff remain efficient and friendly. They told other customers what were in the pintxos on the counter, and one time they confirmed or otherwise my attempts at identifying the pintxos as I ordered them. The spider crab pintxos taste a bit different now, as if they contain some vinegar, or is it just my taste changing as I get older? Anyway, the pintxos are still really tasty.

Victor Montes has an amazing selection of spirits. I did not taste any of them, mind you, but they include lots of rarely seen Scotch and North American whiskies and also Ukrainian vodka.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I did a bit of pintxo hopping with my husband in Plaza Nueva and Victor Montes had the freshest pintxos and the best wines. Some of the other bars don't seem to top up their pintxos and they were starting to whither in the heat. The pintxos at Victor Montes were very fresh and the bar/restaurant is air conditioned so it's very comfortable to stand at the bar. Service was lovely and friendly with smiling waiters. Wines are all around €2 per glass and they are good. If you like scotch, this place has an amazing whiskey collection, too.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Cafe bar Bilbao was very busy so decided to try here. The waiter was nothing short of rude. When I asked for a menu he nearly threw it at me so decided to get up & go & wait for table at Cafe Bar Bilbao. Such a contrast

1  Thank annef918
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This was a great place to experience old world charm and great service. Our waiter was quite entertaining and helped us out picking from the vast wine list, we narrowed it down to Rioja, red, reserva, but still 40+ to go. We went with the recommendation which unsurprisingly was not the cheapest , but it was amazing. We started with Pintxos, which were tasty, but then stayed for a main course of oxtail stew, very flavoursome. We enjoyed the whole experience and would recommend. Great service