“Excellent if you're "pinxo"ed out!”
Review of Old Shanghai

Old Shanghai
Ranked #224 of 1,201 Restaurants in Bilbao
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We spent four nights roaming around northern Spain and it was lovely but unseasonally freezing. After a hard day's shopping in Bilbao we decided that we'd had enough of pinxos and headed into Old Shanghai for something hot, warming and spicy. I don't think I've had a better Asian mean anywhere but Asia and certainly not in Spain. We live in Cataluña, where there is nowhere like this, not even close. Service was fine, the restaurant was almost empty when we got there but filled up quickly, after 9pm. The food was to die for, the spring roll Old Shanghai was huge and tasty and the Tom Yum Khang soup one of the best I've ever had. Roasted rice with prawn was hot and super tasty and came with huge prawns (not deveined, see below, but this doesn't bother us). The duck with hoisin sauce was fantastic and the Szchecuan beef was OK - tastewise excellent but I imagined something in a sauce and it's dry and crispy. The portions are huge, don't overorder! I was bowled over by the quality of food here - I have had AWFUL Asian meals in Barcelona, Madrid and Tarragona - and would thoroughly recommend it if you have had enough of the lovely pinxos. I ogled everyone else's meals as well and they all looked fabulous. Proper spices/seasoning, proper hot, proper portion sizes - very happy. In fact we are having some of the left-over duck with hoisin sauce for dinner tonight after a long drive back and I can't wait.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

Had quite an enjoyable meal here. It was very quiet however, it was a Tuesday evening and we arrived at about 9 pm when the restaurant had only opened for evening service at 8.30 pm.

I ordered stir fried noodles with king prawns and was most disappointed when I realised the prawns had not been deveined. On complaining about my meal I was advised, quite robustly by two male waiting staff, that was the way the dish was served. I said that I would like to choose something else from the menu but I would pay for the waster meal. However, a female member of the waiting staff apologised and said she would sort the problem out. Within a few minutes I had a hot plate of fresh steaming fried noodles with king prawns which had been deveined and for 8 euros I thought it was excellent value.

My husband had the hake which was nice, spicy but slightly on the salty side.

The restaurant was clean as were the toilets. I would recommend it.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

On our first night in Bilbao we were jet-lagged and, after going to get a few pixtos (tapas) bars, simply looking for nothing more than a quiet restaurant to be able to talk with our son (studying in Bilbao) over dinner and go back to the hotel and sleep. This restaurant was perfect for that - and the food was excellent.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We found this restaurant after a long search for a restaurant which was not overcrowded and had a free table to sit at. They have a big choice of asian (thai, vietnames, chinese, japanese) dishes and we took a menu. The amount of food is huge so you definitely will get enough. Service was a bit rude sometimes, too bad.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

Food was very good and reasonably priced.Staff were pleasant and courteous.Well established Restaurant