“A superb ending to our holiday”

Barcelo Bilbao Nervion
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in Bilbao
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Bilbao was far better as a place to visit than I expected. The city has an interesting old quarter,
a thriving retailing and commercial centre, and the wonderful Guggenheim centre.
We choose the Nervion because of its location on the river and its proximity to the Guggenheim.
The Hotel has recently been upgraded and the modernised rooms were imaginatively designed.
The amount of space was a little tighter than I expected but the room was comfortable and very functional. The public spaces were enormous including the restaurant and the food was reasonable especially the breakfasts. With so much to see and do we tended to eat out.
the Guggenheim is a must for all travellors. What a spectacle. Worth going to see no matter how far you have to travel.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the 7th floor. I would recommend these
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
BilbaoNervion, Director General at Barcelo Bilbao Nervion, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you very much for choosing us to be accommodated during your stay in Bilbao.

We are glad to know you enjoyed the services we provided you as well as the situation where the hotel is located.

We do hope see you in the hotel in your next visit to the city.

Best regards.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We travelled from Santiago to Bilbao. We were expecting the same quality of service if not better. The attitude from check-in started the 3 disappointing nights. We had a corporate booking that included breakfast. Yet, we were told even with the confirmation letter that they were not going to honour breakfast because there was an error in the rate. After being contacted by my corporate advisor that they risked loosing all trades from our company, they honoured the breakfast. Oh, no apology offered for the poor attitude.

We booked a superior double room and we were given a twin room with the wash basin next to the bed. You cannot do anything private without waking up the other person. We were told that's superior room!

Our last night, we had braised veal and Ox steak well-done. The braised steak was like a tick sauce probably reheated several times as my travel companion had it on the first night. Although, we asked the Ox steak to be well-done and sent back, it came back still pink. We left both untouched.

Poor wifi connection!

Great location, great shower, great breakfast bar!

1  Thank Fortune B

We would like to thank you your comments about the hotel.

We regret not meeting your expectations in the services we offered to our customers.

Should you come to the hotel, we are at your disposal to provide you the well considered service we offer to our customers.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

I had two days at the end of a seven day vacation and decided to return to Bilbao, booking this hotel at the last minute. I paid € 260 for 2 nights. I like the location better than where I stayed previously near the Guggenheim, as my goal was to explore more of the Old Town and take in the start of the Semana Grande celebration (an event that I fully intend to return for next year and I will look to book this hotel again, as the proximity is perfect).

PROS:
Good, not perfect, housekeeping.
Good bed and bath linens (large bath sheets)
Good shower + water pressure
Customer service -- strangely, the night before my departure (at 5:30am) the power went out just as I was going to bed. I was worried about power for my phone - and alarm clock - and I called down to the front desk and someone was at my door within 1 minute, with great communication and the issue (probably a blown circuit) was fixed quickly and again with great communication and an offer for a personal wake up call as a backup.

CONS:
Noise -- I heard every flush and shower of my neighbor.I stayed in 3 different but similarly priced hotels in Spain and this was a common issue, to be fair.
Wifi -- the password, and needing a new one each 24-hours, is annoying. Just set up a better system already.
Bar/dining -- I found the basics in the bar to be really expensive (coffee, bottled water) and not the best service. With so many options just outside the door, why not step it up a bit?

Overall I was happy with the cleanliness and upkeep of the hotel and the service, and especially the perfect location, and I would stay here again at the right price. The lobby feels a bit luxury but this is not a luxury hotel, rather a high-end tourist/mid-range hotel. It's a 5-10 minute walk to everything I wanted to do (explore Old Town, and shop in the "new" town). :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel.

Our customer opninions help us to achieve the service goal we would like to provide.

We regret you have some negative aspects about the hotel. We keep on working to meet all our guest´s needs.

We do hope see you in the hotel again.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

No hesitation in recommending this hotel. It exceeded our expectations, great location, rooms, breakfast very helpful & friendly staff. We were two couples visiting the City for the first time. The festival was in full swing and Bilbao was rocking until the early hours, but, once inside the Barcelo Nervion tranquility descended and a peaceful nights sleep was had by all. Will certainly stay again!

2  Thank frostymij12
BilbaoNervion, Director General at Barcelo Bilbao Nervion, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

We would like to thank you for your positive comments about the hotel. We are glad to know you enjoyed, not only the hotel services and its tranquility, but your first visit to Bilbao as well.

We do hope see you in your next visit to Bilbao.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed four nights with our three children and found the hotel and its amenities perfect for our needs. Friendly staff, breakfast included and very close to the sights. Nice and big family suite. We had a great stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mortil2
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Really liked this hotel, it sits perfectly between the Guggenheim and the Casco Viejo (old town), walking distance to the city's best spots! Rooms are brand new, modern and clean. Just wish breakfast was cheaper, we chose to have breakfast somewhere else every day

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HeloRighetto
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The hotel has a good location,the cost per night at a acceptable level when consider the location.
The special offer of a 9Euros breakfast was a pleasant surprise.
Parking in front of the hotel could cause some problem and could be improved

1  Thank Haavard H
BilbaoNervion, Director General at Barcelo Bilbao Nervion, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you very much for your positive comments of the hotel.

We keep on working to improve every day and meet all our guest's needs.

We do hope see you in the hotel soon.