“Something is missing?”

Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in Bilbao
Joensuu, Finland
“Something is missing?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

The best possible location in Bilbao, close to all. Breakfast is very good as well as the room furnishings. We lived on the fourth floor, our room such as a neighboring room mattresses really hard. Poor sound insulation, from neighboring rooms can heard almost everything ....
Not a four-star ranking, max. 3 1/2.

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth floor not the best.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank vonKassu
SilviaVO, Director of Sales at Hotel Abando, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Dear Jari v,
Thank you for your words. Your opinion will be registered for our continued improvement process.
We look forward to seeing you soon again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Warmly greeted when I arrived, same goes on checkout.the hotel is situated near a beautiful square / garden surround by lots of pintox bars.Although it can get boisterous at nt the hotel rooms seem to be well insulated.Some guests had complained about the high price of breakfast....as my booking was on room basis only I opted out to go continental at the hotel bar , for E4 I was served real caffe latte, Fresh Orange juice an croissant which is a fair price.I greatly enjoyed my 4 day stay at the hotel and I would highly recommended Bilbao is a great city for those into architecture ...just look up

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank csant
Dear csant,
Thank you very much for your opinion and for having chosen Hotel Abando for your stay in Bilbao. We are pleased you had a wonderful time in Bilbao.
We look forward to seening you soon again.
Targoviste, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

A very good hotel placed in a convenient location, close to almost every touristic atraction in Bilbao. Very clean rooms, good european breakfast, fast check-in and out. Prices OK. The receptionists very kind and helpfull with all the clients. A minus for the hotel underground parking fee (it could be cheaper).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Florian C
Thank you for your opinion and for having chosen Hotel Abando for your stay in Bilbao.
We look forward to seeing you soon again.
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Hotel was well situated for our needs..close to train station (we walked there easily with suitcases) and a Metro station. We walked easily to all the sites we wanted to see in Bilbao.(or to the Metro station as needed)
Hotel is convenient to many restaurants and shopping.
Room was fine, nothing special..We were on the front of the hotel, basically view of the building across the street and the street...but room was clean, not overly noisy...

We were however not really impressed with the staff at the front desk...we were not familiar with Bilbao and are not Spanish speakers (though we did attempt)..so we went to the front desk with general questions usually regarding directions and felt....somewhat condescended to..like we were asking ridiculous questions...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jane M
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

The best thing about my stay at Abando was the good price I got and the convenient location of the hotel. From the hotel, I just about walked everywhere in Bilbao.

But the hotel itself is old and tired . The room I had was clean, but not all that big, and everything in the room, including the bathroom looked old - basically, the hotel can use a renovation. I am not familiar with the hotel star rating system in Spain,but the 3 star hotel I stayed at in Madrid was much nicer that the Abando, which is a 4 star hotel.

If you are looking for something more modern and fancy, look elsewhere. But if you want a hotel that is well located for a good price, and do you care about the hotel being old, this is not a bad choice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the street - the streets around the hotel can be noisy
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sdgt625
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Welcoming at reception. Good clean room. Overlooked Main Street but good. Underground car park. Our car would not start on the morning we were going to the Ferry, the receptionist was efficient and telephoned our insurers for us. They were all very helpful. The checkout was fast. Great location. Wonderful city.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shirley H
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

I arrived at the airport and asked how to get to the hotel by bus at the information. There's no direct bus to Estacion de Abando and found that I have to drop at Pl. Moyua where is located in the center of town and walk to the hotel. After taking a rest in the room (No.226), I got a map at the reception and went to Puente de Viscaya by metro as I was taught by a male staff. After visiting the bridge I came back to town and walked around the Iberdrola, the highest building in Bilbao. I came back to the hotel, and I asked a female staff how high is Iberdrola and how is the way to the funicular station to Artxanda and funicular' operating time. She checked height and time by internet and answered me. I was going to Artxanda to see a night view of Bilbao but it began raining,the I decided to go tomorrow. In the next morning, it was still raining. When I was going out, she said "Do you need an umbrella?" I answered "No, thank you." Because I had an umbrella bought in Norway in my shoulder bag. It's really "Omotenashi in Japanese which means sincere hospitality". Just I went out the hotel, it stopped raining and became fine.
I visited Artxanda and then Museo Guggenheim. I enjoyed the stay in Bilbao so much and appreciate all hotel staffs.
The room was at the second floor and the window was faced to an array. If it is at higher floor and faced to a main street, it would be the best.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo