“Mixed feelings: very friendly staff & top-notch breakfast but disappointing room”

NH Collection Villa de Bilbao
Ranked #1 of 42 Hotels in Bilbao
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cormatin, France
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I would not usually stay at a hotel like this, as I prefer small, charming hotels to the big chains, but since I was coming to Bilbao to meet up with friends who were on a package tour, and they were booked here, it just made our visit easier for me to stay here as well. From the start of my reservation process to the day I arrived at the hotel, there was a seemingly endless comedy of errors and things kept getting bungled (to the point where when I checked in, I was told that my friends were not in fact staying at this hotel for example, but I'll spare you all the other gorey details). However, the front desk staff was always very friendly and *tried* to be helpful, even as they mangled things. My room was small and dark, so I would recommend getting a room on the street side (which my friends had, which was light and bright and much more spacious). I was in 708. When I first arrived, the phone in my room did not work nor did several of the lights. They fixed the phone right away but the lights were never fixed during my 3-night stay even though I asked several times, making the already very dark room even darker. The WiFi system is ridiculous, wherein you have to keep getting little slips of paper from the front desk to log in (my recommendation: save yourself some unnecessary trips and take several of these slips at once).
I liked the lobby décor, very sleek and modern, and the hotel is conveniently located for using the buses (especially to and from the airport, or if you want to catch a bus to San Sebastian for a day). It is also near the Bellas Artes museum which is definitely worth a visit. My bathroom was tiny and only had a shower, no tub. Otherwise the room was functional and comfortable.
The breakfast is truly worthy of a five-star hotel. The selection of fresh fruit, cereals, cheeses, cold cuts, etc. is absolutely outstanding and you can have eggs or an omelette made to order. The coffee was excellent too, and I especially appreciated the fact that they had non-dairy options (rice "milk", almond "milk", soy, etc.) available.
Overall, I found the room overpriced for what it was, but the breakfast a bargain. The staff were friendly and helpful, if not always competent. If my room had not been so dark and with broken lights, I would definitely give this place a higher rating.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the street side.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CathyFrance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while on business. Rooms were large and clean. Great bath. Front desk staff were great, and very convenient parking round the corner.
Breakfast was fine. Nothing but praise for this hotel, and the chain as well. Would certainly come back again if in the area again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Thomas W
London
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

Very convenient location and nice, spacious room. Staff helpful but nothing exceptional. Even with a special offer this was an expensive choice, so I would hesitate to book again. No English channels on the TV but my Spanish improved during my stay!

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed in NH Villa de Bilbao for a short trip recently.

The hotel is a short walk (5-10 minutes) from many restaurants and bars and only two minutes walk away from the airport bus's main city stop.

The staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were comfortable and the beds were massive.

As other reviewers pointed out, you need to get a new Wifi code daily. This isn't a hassle as the vouchers can be picked up easily from the reception desk without even having to speak to the receptionist. The vouchers say the Wifi is limited to 256KBps which was slightly concerning. I didn't perform a speed test but standard internet browsing seemed fine to me. This may be more of an issue if you have more demanding internet requirements though.

Room Tip: Many rooms are inner facing and the only view from the window is of other hotel rooms. This may be...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 22 September 2013

In bilbao for a few days and we really liked this hotel for the great location, friendly staff (who were very helpful and nice) and great clean rooms. We had a quiet room facing the courtyard and took breakfast every day. Breakfast was excellent, replenished constantly and hot food available cooked to your request. The serving staff were all very friendly and didn't mind us sitting there having a long breakfast. Only negative was that the lift stuck while I was in it but I phoned reception in the lift and help came immediately. We have nothing but praise for the staff. Highly recommended for a trip to Bilbo!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I enjoyed my stay here very much. It has a great location on the Gran Via and can walk to Guggenheim, Museum of Fine Arts, a shopping center (has a food court) and the tram line which runs to the old city.

Reception staff is friendly and helpful.

The buffet breakfast is one of the best I had in Spain. In addition to the buffet itself, there is an egg chef who does your eggs to order.

I upgraded to a superior room from the standard room. Standard rooms face the interior and there is no view. Superior rooms face the Gran Via. Cost was 15 euro extra per night.

The first “superior” room I had was 403 - one of the sinks did not drain, it had an old tub, the night light was missing over one side of the bed, room did not have an expresso machine or iPod dock and one corner of the ceiling was damaged and it looked like it was peeling off.

When I asked for the sink and nightlight to be repaired, I was instead moved to Room 508 which was in much better shape, better kept and with better housekeeping. It was worth it to me to have a view of the Grand Via, but even on the 5th floor, I heard street noise.

The linens at this hotel were especially nice - large bath sheets and comfortable bed linens with extra pillows,etc in the closet.

Wi-fi is excellent and you can log in from your room. There are new passwords every 24 hours.

Also want to mention I used Bilbao Greeters (www.bilbaogreeters.com) who are volunteers willing to show you their beautiful city. My greeter gave me a walking tour of the area and helped me with details such as finding a Citibank and obtaining a local sim card. It is a wonderful service.

Room Tip: Reserve a room facing the Gran Via -- they have more light.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel was luxurious in every way except one...technology is lacking. You need a new wifi code daily which can expire whenever it chooses! Every other aspect was outstanding including toiletries, bedding, spaciousness of rooms and the wonderful buffet breakfast.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends