“Very very very excellent! ”
Review of Galerna Jan Edan

Galerna Jan Edan
Price range: US$23 - US$45
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Our first nite in San Sebastian last nite, and we chanced upon this restaurant. The food was truly amazing, every dish we had was worthy of a Michelin star restaurant, and we have been to many. Stand out dishes were the gazpacho, tuna tartar, pork neck, squab. You can't tell from reading the menu how innovative the dishes really are, with stand out presentation as well. Quality of the food was also top notch. They have many ice creams accompanying the dishes which are also available for dessert. We loved the lime and celery in particular. Would absolutely recommend this restaurant, and service by paloma our waitress was good. She spoke excellent English and explained everything to us. We are hoping to go back for another meal before we leave San Sebastian!!!

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed 20 September 2018

This is the first time I have rated a restaurant as a 5 because that score should be reserved for 1* Michelin up. I made an exception to attempt to lift this fabulous restaurant above its rediculous 70 ranking
The menu is not large and most is seafood but done extremely well, the young chef certainly knows his craft and deserves his bibi rating
I saw him venture out of the kitchen and gave him a , he smiled and returned it
Good luck for the future my friend you deserve it

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

Booked on the strength of the good reviews here but very disappointed. The room was super noisy due to a large party opposite to the extent we couldn't hear what the waitress was saying . Ordered the tuna , merluza and duck and whilst waiting we had an amuse bouche of tiny croquettas which were good and given some bread and the tiniest amount of olive oil possible . None of the meals came with any vegetables ,the tuna was 4 pieces of sushi sized fish and a few dots of green and white paste . Possibly the smallest main course ever and €23. Then to add insult to injury when we got the bill they charged us €3 for the bread . Left feeling hungry and a little bit ripped off especially when there are so many great places in San Sebastián.

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank ArtVanderlay69
Reviewed 5 July 2018

Walked around the old town searching for places that we had fancied going to but either too busy or not as expected. It was just before midnight and I remembered walking past Galerna from our apartment so we headed for it. Luckily we got a table. Very quirky inside reminding me of a cellar location. We had a dish of caviar, a huge prawn, marinated sardines carefully displayed in sections, wild Turbot, beef, finished with pineapple roasted with ginger, washed down with a Txakoli Doniene Gorrondona (Bakio)
2 dinners total 100 Euros of which 45 were for the wine

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 19 June 2018

In a place like San Sebastian you are overwhelmed with choice for a high-end experience but sometimes you want to have a wonderful mean that doesn't also break the bank. At time of writing there are only three restaurants in San Sebastian with the Michelin bib gourmand recommendation - which means they are an inspector's favourite for value. I used this rating to book Galerna for our last meal in San Sebastian and we couldn't have been more pleased. The reviews on tripadvisor that say the portion sizes are small are confusing. The plates are appropriately sized to gastronomic cuisine. We had two delicious starters - tuna tartar and the trout with a glass of the local Txakoli. There was one small issue with the mains. My partner ordered the 'pluma' pork which came with potatoes and red peppers as an accompaniment. My main dish, the turbot came with three small blobs of (very nice) sauce and nothing else. There is not a section on the menu which offers sides such as greens or potatoes so this plate did feel rather unbalanced compared to the other. We finished the meal with the cheese plate and a glass of dessert wine. The service and food were very good. I'm now turning this review over to my partner because the experience of paying the bill soured our experience (this is the only reason the review is not 5 stars).

When it came to paying the bill we were not given the option to pay in Euros. After inputting my pin number the PDQ machine was taken away from me and the waitress selected to pay in GBP. After I queried this, I was told by the staff that it wasn't possible to pay in Euros because they are a small business and would have to pay the charges. I have since learnt from Mastercard that it's not up to the restaurant to decide which currency the customer pays in, it is solely the customer's choice. The charges are not insignificant but this is also not really the point. The point is that the staff deliberately deceived us in order to avoid paying charges and dumped that on us.

Date of visit: June 2018