2,026 results
All reviews dry bar beautiful hotel concierge staff cooking school river view upgraded to a suite old town restaurant reservations basque region beautiful room tapas breakfast buffet pintxos bars rooms are large film festival hotel bar old world charm
Reviewed 12 February 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Maria Cristina for three nights in October 2012.

Room
The rooms are a little on the small side, but we were pleased overall. Excellent bed, good amenities. Very clean. Great views.

Location
It doesn't get any better in San Sebastian. Walking distance to the best pincho bars and shopping. Less than a 10 minute drive to the Michelin 3 star restaurants.

Nothing memorable, but I'd classify it as solid. Concierge recommendations were spot on.

Hotel Bar
Some of the best cocktails we had in Spain.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank charlottedeac1
Reviewed 9 February 2013

My girlfriend and I were in Sab Sebastian for 2 weeks and while we loved eating a small breakfast at street corner cafes, one morning we felt like having a big, American breakfast. We decided to check out this hotel for a breakfast restaurant. We were very impressed. it cost about $30 a person, and although that is expensive, considereing where we were and what we were eating it was not that bad. I am a huge fan of breakfast and really good breakfast buffets and this was the best. It had every sort of imaginable food and freshly squeezed juices you could ever want. Sometimes at large breakfast buffets, the quality of food is not there, but that is not the case for this place. The food was great. The service was great, They seemed a little confused at first that we didn't have a room, but they had no problem with it. I guess since we weren't wearing bathing suits and flip flops as it was a very nice setting. This probably isn't the most helpful review for a hotel but I just had to let people know the breakfast buffet was fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grayson B
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I don't usually write reviews for large, corporate 'chain' hotels, but the staff at Maria Christina made our stay so enjoyable, and the King Bed River view room was SO comfortable, I just want to highly recommend the hotel if you are in San Sebastian. Great location in the Old Town near all the great Tapas Bars. The concierge did a fantastic job of highlighting which Tapas Bar are know for which food. All in all a great hotel.

Room Tip: The river view rooms have a small balcony where you can watch the huge waves crass into the river as the tide rises. No traffic noise to worry about 2 floors up.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank R Grant C
Reviewed 26 January 2013

The Hotel Maria Cristina is a fantastic hotel located on the edge of the Parte Vieja(Old Town). The building is absolutely amazing and very grand. The staff were very friendly and the service fantastic. The room was very large and the bed and linen very comfortable. The bathroom was fantastic. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tilijaus
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The hotel is located in a prime spot in San Sebastián, right next to the river and close to the old center and the beautiful beaches. Unlike other grand heritage hotels, the Maria Cristina is far from being in decay. It has been recently and tastefully renovated. The rooms are spacious and comfortable, as are the large bathrooms (with Caudalie toiletries in the suites) which are impeccably clean.

The service I good and courteous. Some members of our party had special requests, which were politely accommodated. This included room service, which was tasty enough, but very overpriced (14 euros for a bowl of soup, for example). Considering the variety of Pinchos bars and great restaurants in town, I recommend eating out and not at the hotel. The buffet breakfast was very fresh and plentiful.

The room rate was very reasonable for San Sebastián. We paid around 200 euros and got upgraded. However, I heard that prices more than double in the summer (high season). If you are planning to wine and dine while in Donostia, book through the hotel's website, as they sometimes offer great fine dining packages.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends