“Grand Hotel in a beatiful city” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Maria Cristina, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Sebastian

Hotel Maria Cristina, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Sebastian
San Salvador
“Grand Hotel in a beatiful city”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

Just returned from spending 3 nights at the Maria Cristina in San Sebastian. The hotel is beautiful and elegant. They upgraded us to a suite which was amazing. It overlooked the river below.
The service was impeccable throughout our stay.
The only restaurant in the property is a chinese restaurant which was very good.
The property is perfectly situated to walk everywhere.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
maria-cristina-hotel, Director General at Hotel Maria Cristina, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Sebastian, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Riccoq,
We are glad to hear that your experience was delightful whilst in San Sebastian, and that you have enjoyed our suite and services.
It’s always very rewarding to read that we do meet the expectations of our hosts.
We look forward to welcome you in the near future in our property.
Best regards,

Michel Nader

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2013

My 2 sisters and I stayed in this superb establishment as a birthday gift for a 'significant' birthday for one of my sisters. The hotel oozed a classical elegance and grandeur throughout accentuated with a subtle palette of pale grey and white. We stayed in a suite (room 508) which comprised a suite of rooms (bedroom, lounge, bathroom, dressing room) and art deco style terrace overlooking the ocean and estuary complete with luxurious terrace furniture.
The sumptuousness and quality of the furniture, fixtures and fittings, carpeting etc.. was almost too tempting and we wrestled with whether we should spend most of our two day stay in the hotel or whether we should discover San Sebastian - the latter option won (but only narrowly!).

On the afternoon of my sister's birthday we were stunned and amazed when we returned from exploring the town to find that the hotel housekeeping had made a birthday cake for my sister which was delivered to our suite along with chocolates, fruit and champagne. Such thoughtfulness and attention to detail is rare in my experience.

The hotel information/director y may be accessed through the in-house TV channel and whilst this is convenient the information regarding the hotel services is limited and could do with presenting more detailed information. The remote control navigation was not always immediately responsive which could become a little irksome.
We gorged on the hotel's superb breakfast each morning, the array of options was mind-boggling and included copious selections of bread, fruit, cheeses, cereals, juices, teas, coffees, yogurts, cooked breakfast (sausage, eggs (all styles), bacon, potatoes, steamed peppers, tomatoes etc etc..)
San Sebastian itself is a charming town with a timeless quality and refinement that seduces the visitor to linger in the many excellent bars, cafes and restaurants. We climbed Mount Urgull which offers a spectacular view from the top and is surmounted by the Jesus stature - not unlike the Jesus of Rio!. But be warned it's not a trek for the faint hearted but is manageable by the relatively fit with good footwear!.
The Hotel shares its parking facility with the municipal parking authority which was a little disappointing as there was no lift/elevator and so we hauled our luggage up the two flights of stairs to the street above where the Hotel Maria-cristina stands. There is a charge of Euro 25.00 per 24 hr. parking period - which we thought was pretty steep. The hotel offers valet parking for a fee in addition to the parking charges however this service dispenses with the need to haul ones luggage up the two flights from the car park.
Overall we had an excellent stay and will definitely visit again in the future.

Thank you Maria-cristina for making our visit so special.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

A fairly last minute business trip brought me to San Sebastian and the Hotel Maria Cristina and I am very glad I got to go to both.

I knew little of San Sebastian before going and was stunned by a beautiful, clean, relaxed and elegant town that has the fortune to have both a river and be on the coast with a small bay. Personally I preferred it to Biarritz, Nice and Cannes which I found it shared things in common with.

The Maria Cristina is certainly up there with other 'leading' hotels I have visited - you can sense the grand atmosphere and quality the moment you walk into the wonderful marble foyer and reception and it's a feeling that remained with me for my short stay. The hotel has, in my estimation, not long been refurbished and it has been done to a very high standard with a classical elegance, with a modern twist, to it.

I had a room on the second floor overlooking the river with a juliet balcony, room 206, that allowed for a view stretching from the town right out to sea. The room was a very good size, the bed was extremely comfortable, it had all the little details and amenities you'd expect of a good five star hotel and the bathroom was superb - a very deep bath that was quick to fill, two types of shower, modern with nice design touches including some chrome and a small chandelier even!

I didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but the small blue bar was very pleasant and the food and service in the stunning round breakfast room were both excellent.

The Wi-Fi worked very well and was easy to set-up. The hotel does valet parking (you pull up onto the lowered pavement...) and there is a modern underground carpark a few metres outside the front door.

Many will come to the region for the stunning array of top restaurants and pixos/tapas bars - on that front, the concierge at the hotel excelled themselves at managing to get us a reservation at a leading restaurant at short notice. We were out of season but, nonetheless, I was very impressed.

If I'm lucky enough to go back to San Sebastian then I would not hesitate to go back to the Maria Cristina. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The road noise isn't bad - I had a river/road view on a high floor and think this is probably th...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed at the tower corner room on the 5th floor. It was divine. if you the opertunity STAY THERE!!! We just didnt want to leave the room at all. Beutiful. What a view. What a bed what a sofa! I bet that sofa had some stories to tell

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

When I broke my foot on the first of our ten days in Spain, we considered packing it in and heading home early. But our next stop was San Sebastian, and I was reallly looking forward to all of the restaurants we were planning to visit, so we decided to press on. I emailed ahead to the concierge to explain the situation, and her prompt, courteous, and kind response was the first indication of the kind of service we eventually grew accustomed to during our 4 day stay at Hotel Maria Cristina. Not only did they have a wheelchair waiting for us at reception, but even the valet seemed to know we were coming, and he rushed to go get it as soon as we pulled up. Not only did they have our room ready early, they had an additional room for us to check out in case it would have been better for the wheelchair. (We decided to stick with our Jr. Suite, which was so perfectly appointed that I was barely disappointed about not having the energy to be out and about more. Amazing bed. Amazing bathroom. Gorgeous view.) They called each restaurant where we had reservations to make sure they'd be able to accommodate the wheelchair. Plus a million small touches that I can't even capture, but it left us with the overall feeling of being so well taken care of that we didn't want to leave. As Starwood members, we redeemed points for our stay, and I never felt like we were treated differently because of this. I don't know whether we interacted with any of the management while we were there - it was the kind of place where you can't tell the difference between the upper level staff and the front line people...everyone seemed to have that much pride and accountability in their work. Especially Ane and Frederica, who were just the sweetest, and who both went out of their way to make sure that we were enjoying our trip. With service, location, and scenery like this, it would have been impossible not to. Also worth noting that they were definitely gay friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EmFu77
anywhere warm!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Maria Cristina for 3 days, and it was a pleasure. The property itself has such a wow factor--it is beautiful and very elegantly refurbished. What I really liked about the property was that it was high end without being stuffy. There are a lot of eclectic modern touches to round out the historic setting, and the staff are wonderfully attentive without being stuffy. We stayed with SPG points during the off/shoulder season, and were upgraded--I think our room was just one level about their most basic, and it was HUGE. The touristy areas of San Sebastian are quite compact and walkable--the hotel was located just outside of the old city where most of the tourist hotels are, and it was really the perfect location for us. We could walk a few blocks and be in the middle of the action, but come home to a nice and quiet nights rest. My only negative about the property is that although there is free wifi in the lobby, you have to pay for it in the rooms. Since we stayed with points, I can't really comment on the value of the hotel, but if you have the points or can swing it, this is a great hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013

We only stayed one night and it was extremely comfortable, large bathrooms, cozy beds, beautiful interiors. My only complaint would be the brusque way we were spoken to upon arrival by the bag handler who basically dragged us back to our driver's car to tell him which suitcase went to which room. Could this not have been done inside where it wasn't cold and raining? When we tried to check in we were told, quite rudely, that no such reservation existed. While we searched for our reservation information, the next desk agent over was speaking very loudly and laughing quite hysterically on the phone. It was very distracting. We promptly provided our information and were told that it was all fine. I'm not sure what the problem was, our names didn't change in that 1 minute. I really expect a little more from a hotel of this caliber at check in. We were not escorted to our rooms either, which might be expected at a 5 star hotel.
The interiors are really beautifully done, lots of marble and absolutely fabulous. The bar area is great and comfortable and the service attentive but could have been a little better but in Europe that seems to be the norm. I don't see why they insist you flag down a waiter? One of my favorite breakfasts on a 2 week trip, don't miss it.
Overall it is an extremely nice hotel and a good experience, I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a taste of luxury in this beautiful beachside town.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
maria-cristina-hotel, General Manager at Hotel Maria Cristina, a Luxury Collection Hotel, San Sebastian, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear Mrs, JillyConQueso,

May I thank you for taking the time to write. We sincerely regret to learn that your stay with us was not up to your entire satisfaction. We have taken good note and appreciate your comments regarding the service received during check in time. Your opinions have been analysed with all the ambassadors involved in order to avoid from happening again in the future. Your comments are of the utmost importance, as they provide the necessary information that allows us to address situations and maintain or improve the quality of services for which we are recognised. Always at your disposal and looking forward to welcoming you in the near future, we remain,

Michel Nader